Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comps

para man

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I want to overanalyze the equipment side, but here I go anyway....

Does anyone do OBJECTIVE testing of the actual recoil reduction of comps & other gizmos?  I'm thinking along the lines of: Gun gets clamped into fixture, gun goes bang, computer displays force curve and displays peak value.  

If no one's doing this, is there any interest?  I keep reading and hearing about how one recoil reducing device is better than another, but haven't ever seen any objective #'s justifying anything.  

I've been thinking about building a fixture with force transducers to do this, but wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in having their equipment tested.  Or, am I just opening a big can of worms here...

Eric

Eric,

Biggest problem is that everyone likes something different as fas as gun feel. Some like flat and don't mind the felt recoil, others don't mind flip but hate the felt recoil. Then you have all the varibles of weight, load used, spring weights, etc. I think that is why you haven't seen any real tech advances or testing. The test would only be good for that set of variables. So stick with what you like and what likes cool!

I think that with the lowering of the power factor, at least here in France,  more and more top shooters choose to use small comps (four or five chamber) and drilled barrels (looks like the V- series from Springfield Armory).

Of course some shooters still use the Hybricomp/8 ports comp combo.

For me, a nine chamber from EGW with a lightened slide and a regular bull barrel works great but, FOR ME .

It's all about feelings.

DVC

Julien :-)

Chriss,

As an Physicist, I must state that I am morally offended by the lack of interest in attaching numerical values to the effectiveness of compensators.    With as much time as people spend fretting over getting 2% more kinetic energy from one round than another, surely we can totally corrupt the "science" of recoil reduction.  I for one look forward hours of pointless discussions about how spending $500 can get me another .02273% less muzzle flip.  

Seriously though, with all the money people are dropping on recoil and muzzle flip reducing devices, I find it stunning that there is no way to objectively compare one alternative to another.  It's just very, very surprising to me.  

Eric

P.S.

I asked one gunsmith about how much recoil reduction was achieved in the shotgun porting they sold as part of a Sporting Clays "enhancement package" and got:  "Oh, about 1%."  Hmmm, I think I've got better places to drop that $250, thank you very much.

WOW! 4 or 5 chamber is now considered a small comp!

I got a 4 chamber EGW cone on my P9, and that shoots plenty nice for me....but that slide is pretty light, too.....

Something else I would suggest; it's going to take a little initiative, but I think you will find most people pretty helpful.....ask others if you can shoot their guns.  This is probably the best way to find something you will like.  Don't risk your money on something you THINK will work for you.  It's also a good way to feel different calibers (or in France, calibres), loades, etc.

Maybe people are put off by the bit in Layne Simpson's book "The Custom Government Model Pistol" where he says he got a basket of comps, did a bunch recoil measurements, then found out different shooters ranked them totally differently.  

• 1 month later...

Ill Bite

First for the record, we Make comps. Lots of comps

we manufacture comps for 26 companies, and all are the best Just ask the inventer. some will tell you they have a friend at nasa, others are just engineers

there was a fixtrure used that had an arm and was used to measrue the push and rise of a comp. pretty interesting stuff.

Skinner from STI said there was a guy over the pond that was testing comps and his was the best but a couple otheres did very well

Koenig has an expensive method. (for us) we put a comp on, he shoots it, and takes a hack saw with him. lop of a port, try again, lop off another...... drive over and ask can I have another one please, I Liked it before I prunned the last one off

I think it is very subjective. one guy weigh's 130 # and his style and grip may be much different than another 270 # guy that works out.

If you had a room full of gunsmith's and asked who's is the best. almost all would say theres is, and why.

if possible shoot as many guns as you can. try em out

and see what YOU like.

and thank YOU to those out there that use ours!

With the new PF I like the 4 port up and 2 pair side port

version personally.

I have a five port comp on a 9X23 with all the ports at the twelve o'clock position. I also had an accuracy problem. If you remember back a couple of months ago a post about the first shot being off call, and another one on horizontal stringing, that was me. After chasing every imaginable problem, I emailed Wil Schuemann and described the problem. He said it was the comp and the gas dynamics were causing the bullets to tilt and spiral. His solution was to bore the comp out to relieve some pressures. He also said I might have to go as large as .460". Realizing this could ruin a perfectly good comp I was reluctant to bore it out but finally relented and had the deed done. Results were dramatic. Instead of fifteen inch groups at twenty five yards they are down to two inches (ten shots) with all but the first shot in one inch. The first shot still is about an inch and a half low, but I can live with that. It shoots far better than I can hold it now. Also, the comp still works.

The original question was what was the best Comp design,.....I would suggest the SV IMM in 38 super ( 9.7 grains of 3N38 and a 124 HP) with 3 hybrid ports, three tribrid ports and a Titainium 3 port comp is probably the flatest shooting setup I have shot including several 9x25 designs

However, Lee's experience is born out by the accuracy quirks with the first SV IMM Barrels.  

These are Shueman tribrid barrels with 3 hybrid ports, three tribrid ports all nicely TiN coated and a Titainium 3 port comp made for the SV IMM guns,  you can see one on the SV web page.

When loaded to major, using a lot of N350, and especially on a hot day these first IMM barrels would have so much pressure under the bullet as it passed out through the tribrid/comp area the bullets would rise and touch the last comp baffles causing tilted or tumbling hits.

Stranger still, it would go away if it got colder or you had slightly downloaded rounds so only a modest pressure rise was enough to cause this.

The later IMM's have the correct comp clearance to eliminate the problem and my IMM gun with shoot under 2" at 50 yards with me shooting it so it must be accurate as I am lucky to do that with a rifle.

• 4 months later...

Hey man....

If the comp was put on with Loctite, heat will do it.  

First try the oven, about 350 deg.  (That didn't work for me).  I had to use a torch.  Propane works fine.  Clamp the comp in a vise (oh, yeah.  You'll need one of those, too.)  Maybe put it between a couple pieces of brass or copper.  You don't care about the barrel, I assume, so leave that hanging out so you can grab it with viceGrips or Chanelocks.  Heat the comp at the cone; just wave the flame back and forth, don't get it blue or red.  Then just start rotating the barrel out.  That's about it.

• 2 weeks later...

you guys should try BP Tech (Barney`s Parts) comp

he works in fluid dynamics and ran a program

and came up with his comp design the things work-

Ive tryed all the popular comps and they all work

good. These comps just shoot a little smoother,softer flatter etc,.!!

Jim Anglin

Sailors Custom Pistols

I am waiting on Wil Schuemann's new project to be finished. He told me it would be this spring, but it's pushed back to the fall. For all practical purposes, it's the SV IMM setup in one piece. Yep, all them holes then an integral comp all machined out of one piece. No threads...

I've also noticed that comp choices differ between coasts.  Out here in the Wild Wild West - LimCat's California Comp is the hot s**t of the day.

I think his Turbo Comp is the best ever.  I still use that one... I've got 3 up and 4 out and 2 "blowholes".