Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullets

FinishGuy

I am not sure your math is right on that G-ManBart. I see on the MG site, 124gr JHP for $360 a case of 3750 projectiles. that is 10.7 cents per, or $107 per 1K.

Not a huge delta, but for some 11 bucks will make all the diffirence in the world for some reason.

Check your math again. $360/3.75 = $96 per thousand. If they were $107/K the case would cost $401.

I'd like to try something cheaper than .11 per round I'm spending on plated. I saw a guy I know at the last match shooting open. There was so much smoke I asked him "Are you shooting lead in an OPEN GUN" His reply "Bayou". What I saw looked like the smoke from lube on lead bullets. Might be better in a limited gun but that much smoke was a nonstarter for me. ;)

I'd like to try Blue or some of the other coated... IF I could get them at a meaningfully better price. If it's .10 vs. 11... not so much.

X-tream at 52 for 500 = 10.4 cents each

Blue at 74 for 775 = 9.55

Both have "free" shipping deals so that's a wash in the quantity we use. Unless you guys know how to get a deal I don't see, for a penny, I'll run the plated. ;)

If there's a better deal, I'm interested.... educate me. :D

Why would you buy plated or coated for more than you can get Montana Gold jacketed? By the case MG 124CMJ or JHP are $96/K and 115gr CMJ and JHPs are only $91/K.

So Apples to Apples...

180 GR .40 Cal - MG are 350 for a case of 2500 - assuming there's free shipping that's 14 cents each. Quite a bit more than Xtreme or Blue. ;)

I never said anything about .40, just 9mm.

Still, since plated suck, and I've seen far too many problems with them, I'd happily pay a more for a quality jacketed bullet. The coated bullets are a reasonable alternative, and I'm experimenting with them in 9 Minor now, but they clearly aren't as accurate or consistent as quality jacketed bullets. I'd be okay using them for practice, or local matches, but that's it.

I'd like to try something cheaper than .11 per round I'm spending on plated. I saw a guy I know at the last match shooting open. There was so much smoke I asked him "Are you shooting lead in an OPEN GUN" His reply "Bayou". What I saw looked like the smoke from lube on lead bullets. Might be better in a limited gun but that much smoke was a nonstarter for me. ;)

I'd like to try Blue or some of the other coated... IF I could get them at a meaningfully better price. If it's .10 vs. 11... not so much.

Both have "free" shipping deals so that's a wash in the quantity we use. Unless you guys know how to get a deal I don't see, for a penny, I'll run the plated. ;)

Why would you buy plated or coated for more than you can get Montana Gold jacketed? By the case MG 124CMJ or JHP are $96/K and 115gr CMJ and JHPs are only $91/K.

So Apples to Apples...

180 GR .40 Cal - MG are 350 for a case of 2500 - assuming there's free shipping that's 14 cents each. Quite a bit more than Xtreme or Blue. ;)

Still, since plated suck, and I've seen far too many problems with them, I'd happily pay a more for a quality jacketed bullet. The coated bullets are a reasonable alternative, and I'm experimenting with them in 9 Minor now, but they clearly aren't as accurate or consistent as quality jacketed bullets. I'd be okay using them for practice, or local matches, but that's it.

So what are the prices for 9mm from all the places I listed? I'd guess the delta in price is still the same.

I'm sorry but I don't think just painting a whole class of bullet with the term "suck" proves your point.

I trust in God, all others bring data. ;)

So Apples to Apples...

So what are the prices for 9mm from all the places I listed? I'd guess the delta in price is still the same.

I'm sorry but I don't think just painting a whole class of bullet with the term "suck" proves your point.

I'm not going to get into a back and forth argument about this because it's pointless. I've posted a lot of data here over the years, and helped a lot of folks, so if you think I'm making things up, that's fine. In my opinion plated bullets suck. They cost nearly as much as jacketed in many sizes/weights, and don't come anywhere near the performance. The best I've seen anybody get is what I would call "somewhat acceptable" results as far as accuracy. On the flip side, I've seen "professionally" loaded ammo using plated bullets tumble, not hold a 6" group at 15 yards, and do all sorts of other bad stuff. After years of watching millions of rounds go downrange, I've seen very few good results with plated, and lots of poor results with plated.

Regardless, this thread wasn't about the quality of plated, it was about coated bullets. The OP was asking about 9mm bullet prices, so I limited my comments to that size. You didn't originally state the prices you quoted were for .40, and everything prior to that was about 9mm. Regardless, coated bullets can be purchased for less than plated without really looking hard. In some cases you can also buy good jacketed bullets for less than the cost of plated bullets, and that's what I pointed out....pretty simple.

Edited by G-ManBart

+1 for the G-man

If you've had good results with plated, you're lucky

I've never had any luck with any plated bullets, and if you break down the case price of plated vs jacketed priced to 1000 per

Plated is maybe a few bucks cheaper per 1000 than jacketed, but I've gotten no where near the accuracy of a jacketed bullet with the slightly cheaper plated

As far as coated bullets go, I've been running blue bullets in my open 38 super for over a year, it give me about the same performance as jhp, for about 23 buck per k, cheaper. If your ordering 10,000 bullets, that's a $230 savings, and the targets can't tell the difference

So Apples to Apples...

I'm not going to get into a back and forth argument about this because it's pointless. I've posted a lot of data here over the years, and helped a lot of folks, so if you think I'm making things up, that's fine. In my opinion plated bullets suck. They cost nearly as much as jacketed in many sizes/weights, and don't come anywhere near the performance. The best I've seen anybody get is what I would call "somewhat acceptable" results as far as accuracy. On the flip side, I've seen "professionally" loaded ammo using plated bullets tumble, not hold a 6" group at 15 yards, and do all sorts of other bad stuff. After years of watching millions of rounds go downrange, I've seen very few good results with plated, and lots of poor results with plated.

Regardless, this thread wasn't about the quality of plated, it was about coated bullets. The OP was asking about 9mm bullet prices, so I limited my comments to that size. You didn't originally state the prices you quoted were for .40, and everything prior to that was about 9mm. Regardless, coated bullets can be purchased for less than plated without really looking hard. In some cases you can also buy good jacketed bullets for less than the cost of plated bullets, and that's what I pointed out....pretty simple.

Wasn't trying to upset you. 23% of the shooters at the Limited Nationals this year ran Plated bullets. I just have a hard time believing that folks that put in enough effort to go to the Nationals would use a "known" inferior Bullet? Like I said above "educate me"... I'm just asking questions. :D Fair enough? :D

I hadn't seen anywhere that there was more than a penny delta Plated v. Coated, until your other post about HS Bullets. ;)

Edited by Chutist