Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullets

FinishGuy

I am considering using Bayou Bullets in an open gun. Does anyone have any experience they could pass along?

Thank you!

I use them for practice loads for an open minor Bianchi gun. I got just a little lead build up on the sides of the first baffle that was easy to remove, the barrel didn't lead up at all. About every 100 rounds or so spray some Dillon case lube in the comp. My experience is the accuracy is decent (much better that plated bullets), relatively clean and about half the cost of jacketed bullets.

I'm curious. Two of you said you use them in practice. I have heard the same thing from a top GM regarding BBI.

What makes them good enough for practice but not good enough for match ammo? Is it just cost?

I use hi tek coated bullets exclusively.

I have not compared accuracy scientifically against jacketed bullets such as in a ransom rest, but i don't really see a difference.

I was getting a bit of leading in the comp, had to scrape it out every few hundred rounds.

Leather head bullets is working with a new bronze colored hi tek coating. Dave got me shooting them this spring and they are not leading my comp at all. Super excited about them.

I have not compared accuracy scientifically against jacketed bullets such as in a ransom rest, but i don't really see a difference.

I was getting a bit of leading in the comp, had to scrape it out every few hundred rounds.

Leather head bullets is working with a new bronze colored hi tek coating. Dave got me shooting them this spring and they are not leading my comp at all. Super excited about them.

Do leather heads use a different coating than all the other coated brands?

I've been running blue bullets for about a year in my open gun

No leading in the barrel, slight build up in the comp after 1000 rounds, no way near as bad as back when I ran 140grn swcl CP's, but more than fmj or jhp and no smoke

accuracy about the same as precision delta 125jhp, but I'm using a full grain less powder to make power factor

The only down side I've noticed is I have to clean the lens on the scope every couple of hundred rounds, I just switched to hs6 and the whole top of the gun gets dirty and it might be the powder, I didn't notice it when I shot silhouette

I'm curious. Two of you said you use them in practice. I have heard the same thing from a top GM regarding BBI.

What makes them good enough for practice but not good enough for match ammo? Is it just cost?

The big difference for me was at 50 yrds. With XTP's I get a 1'' group and with Bayou's I get about a 2.5'' group. At 25 yrds and under the difference is pretty small and Bayou's are half the cost of the XTP's.

Do leather heads use a different coating than all the other coated brands?

My understanding is that several different commercial casters use the hi-tek coating. I am not qualified to comment on who uses what, or what differences there are in the products. if you want to send me a PM I will elaborate further.

I will say that I believe in coated bullets for open guns. I see good performance at significant cost savings.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to try something cheaper than .11 per round I'm spending on plated. I saw a guy I know at the last match shooting open. There was so much smoke I asked him "Are you shooting lead in an OPEN GUN" His reply "Bayou". What I saw looked like the smoke from lube on lead bullets. Might be better in a limited gun but that much smoke was a nonstarter for me. ;)

I'd like to try Blue or some of the other coated... IF I could get them at a meaningfully better price. If it's .10 vs. 11... not so much.

X-tream at 52 for 500 = 10.4 cents each

Blue at 74 for 775 = 9.55

Both have "free" shipping deals so that's a wash in the quantity we use. Unless you guys know how to get a deal I don't see, for a penny, I'll run the plated. ;)

If there's a better deal, I'm interested.... educate me. :D

EDIT: my numbers are for 180 Gr. .40 cal

Edited by Chutist

Case of MG is slightly less than .10 and Precision Delta are .89 for 2000. Both with free shipping. I don't know why you would shoot plated when Jacketed are the same price. Quite a few positive comments about Blue Bullets and they are very inexpensive.

I'd like to try something cheaper than .11 per round I'm spending on plated. I saw a guy I know at the last match shooting open. There was so much smoke I asked him "Are you shooting lead in an OPEN GUN" His reply "Bayou". What I saw looked like the smoke from lube on lead bullets. Might be better in a limited gun but that much smoke was a nonstarter for me. ;)

I'd like to try Blue or some of the other coated... IF I could get them at a meaningfully better price. If it's .10 vs. 11... not so much.

Both have "free" shipping deals so that's a wash in the quantity we use. Unless you guys know how to get a deal I don't see, for a penny, I'll run the plated. ;)

Why would you buy plated or coated for more than you can get Montana Gold jacketed? By the case MG 124CMJ or JHP are $96/K and 115gr CMJ and JHPs are only $91/K.

I am not sure your math is right on that G-ManBart. I see on the MG site, 124gr JHP for $360 a case of 3750 projectiles. that is 10.7 cents per, or $107 per 1K.

Not a huge delta, but for some 11 bucks will make all the diffirence in the world for some reason.

Why would you buy plated or coated for more than you can get Montana Gold jacketed? By the case MG 124CMJ or JHP are $96/K and 115gr CMJ and JHPs are only $91/K.

So Apples to Apples...

180 GR .40 Cal - MG are 350 for a case of 2500 - assuming there's free shipping that's 14 cents each. Quite a bit more than Xtreme or Blue. ;)

Edited by Chutist