Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.44 Special Question.

Kosh75287

This question is directed to all those shooters using .44 Special in USPSA/IDPA competition (BOTH of you). An associate uses a 4" S&W M29 for both, and we're setting about the task of optimizing a load for both contests (ideally, ONE load, both contests). I told him that I didn't know enough about how to advise him concerning what loads he used, until I became more familiar with the round and the revolver and suggested he show up with whatever ammo he had (no Elmer Keith or Corbon/Underwood/Buffalo Bore stuff), and just shoot a match and we could go from there.

Well, the first contest was shot with 7.2/Unique/240 LSWC, and the results were....emphatic. It's the first time I've ever heard a steel target make an "OOOF!" sound in addition to a VERY audible "clang". I reduced the powder charge to 6.5/Unique/240LSWC, which took greater pity on the poor steel, but was still well in excess of what was needed for "Major". Tried 6.0/Unique/240 LSWC, which was where we wanted to be power-wise, but smokey, sooty, grunjy, bad ejection, etc. Heavier crimp & slightly deeper bullet seating helped, but not enough.

I went from there to 5.0/Red Dot (Promo)/240 LRNFP (we ran out of LSWCs). which burns VERY cleanly, but may be borderline in terms of PF (I know...get a flershwuggener chronograph...It's in the works). Thought I'd try 5.2/Red Dot (Promo)/240 LRNFP next, to see where we are.

Is anyone else shooting .44 Spl for either contest, and if yes, would you mind sharing what you're loading?

Thanks in advance.

Is anyone shooting .44 Spl, and would you share what you're loading?

I don't .... :surprise:

BUT, I loaded for many years for my Ruger .41 magnum without benefit of a chrono ...

When I got the chrono, I realized that my loads for the previous 20 years had been

a slight bit HOT !!!! :devil: :devil:

Suggest you suspend all reloading ops until the flurshwergenner arrives .... :cheers:

I've been messing around with this load in my Model-29 but I haven't had a chance to chronograph it yet. Nice, low recoil fun load!

Bullet: Missouri Bullet Company 200 gr. RNFP (.430/Cowboy Alloy/Hi-Tek)
Powder: IMR Trail Boss 6.0 grs.
Primer: Federal 150
Case: PMC .44 Magnum
Comments: Taper-crimp

Thirteen shots at 25 yards, blew one!

44%20Special%20Load%2025%20Yards.jpg

M29%20amp%20Ruger%20Flattop.jpg

It shot a little better in magnum brass but the .44 Special version (for the Ruger Flattop .44 Special) was pretty close.

Bullet: Missouri Bullet Company 200 gr. RNFP (.430/Cowboy Alloy/Hi-Tek)
Powder: IMR Trail Boss 5.8 grs.
Primer: Winchester Large Pistol

Case: Remington .44 Special

No leading at all, Hi-Tek works well in EDM rifling!

Edited by pbcaster45

Same basic thoughts as most uspsa shooting. Heavy Bullet fast powder

With lead/coated = Clays, WST, 231

find a 240gr round nose for loading with the speed loaders

or buy some 44 Russian cases (shorter than specials, they load faster)

I have been loading the 44 Special and 44 Magnum for 45+ years - mostly Elmer Keith loads.

Went through one of Jeff Cooper's Gunsite pistol classes with a fellow who used a 4-inch S&W Model 29 with full-house loads. He was one man who could handle it well in high-speed double-action. He got an E-ticket from the Colonel.

You might check the loads that John Taffin uses in his 19-ounce Charter Arms. They are accurate and are tuned to be low-recoil yet effective. Taffin has a whole book dedicated to the 44's.

Thanks for all the input, fellas! I knew I could count on you all for help! I probably won't SUSPEND the reloading activities until the chronograph arrives, but I'll be more watchful about approaching upper-level loads. I don't see any reason for "channeling" Elmer Keith, for action-pistol competition, though if the spirit of Skeeter Skelton wanders by, he'll be warmly welcomed. I think the idea about the Charter Arms Bulldog loads from Taffin is a good one. I'll do some poking around.

Thanks again, Gents.

I don't shoot it in competition, but I load 44 special loads for my 44 magnum. I use the 44 mag brass, not 44 special. I load 4.7 gr of titegroup, with a 240gr rn coated bullet. It generates about 725 fps, out of a 7 1/2 Ruger. That equates to a 174pf. So, out of a 4" barrel, you'll get less velocity and pf.

Btw, recoil out of the heavy Ruger is minimal at best.