Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated bullets?

glock34shooter

I just switched from another coated bullet brand to SNS.

I did a bunch of testing, the SNS consistently have a better and more uniform coating and are more accurate. The .356 is more accurate out of my guns (both P-09 and Shadows)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 for the blue bullets (they are made about 12 miles from my house) I've shot about 2800 through my glock 17 factory barrel and they are great. As far as diameter goes, I have not seen any coated bullet manufacturers that offer more than one size. Plenty of cast companies do (dardas etc) but i'm not aware of any coated options on diameter.

Black and Blue bullets offers different sizes and colors on their bullets. Ive never used them though so no comment there.

+1 on blue bullets. Great price, they offer a discount to Benos members and in my testing are awesome accuracy wise. Once you get the dies set so youre not breaking the coating the coated bullets are great. I had terrible accuracy using xtremes. Blue Bullets were much better for me.

Is it a coupon code to get the discount? Do you know what it is?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I used to shoot Xtremes, but after a buddy pointed out the large variances from lot to lot ( bullet COAL and weight ) I decided to switch. I now shoot BBI's and i love them. The bullets are uniform from lot to lot, and the performance is great.

i got a sample batch of Blue Bullets but was not a fan of the coating. seemed to be applied too heavy. They were not as uniform as the BBI.

What is causing you to move away from Xtremes? Price, quality, availability? I shoot a ton of S&S 147FP NLG out of a variety of 9mm handguns and they all shoot great. I've been looking at getting some Xtremes but are unsure if they are worth the extra money.

They're not. I don't get the same consistency or accuracy from them as I do from SNS or Blues. All they're useful for to me is sneaking in reloads to a factory ammo only range.

Don't know anything about coated bullets .. Never tried them and don't plan to. I've shot over 70,000 Extremes in the last 3 years (147s and 115s) ... 3-4" groups off-hand at 25 yds all da long without working all that hard at it .... I have found them to be as accurate as you'll ever need in practical shooting and when you buy in bulk the price can't be beat .... YMMV ....

What is causing you to move away from Xtremes? Price, quality, availability? I shoot a ton of S&S 147FP NLG out of a variety of 9mm handguns and they all shoot great. I've been looking at getting some Xtremes but are unsure if they are worth the extra money.

They're not. I don't get the same consistency or accuracy from them as I do from SNS or Blues. All they're useful for to me is sneaking in reloads to a factory ammo only range.
Don't know anything about coated bullets .. Never tried them and don't plan to. I've shot over 70,000 Extremes in the last 3 years (147s and 115s) ... 3-4" groups off-hand at 25 yds all da long without working all that hard at it .... I have found them to be as accurate as you'll ever need in practical shooting and when you buy in bulk the price can't be beat .... YMMV ....

I got decent groups in my Glocks. In my Apeiro I am lucky to get 3-4" at 7 yards. Coated work great on both, and the prices definitely beat Xtreme when bought in bulk...

I Shoot acme 147FP 3.1 TG 1.125 130-134 PF (60 degrees) in my shadow/ combat/ stock 2

I may have to bump down to 3.0 once it starts getting hot because I think TG will get hotter with higher temps.

Edited by vixty

I got decent groups in my Glocks. In my Apeiro I am lucky to get 3-4" at 7 yards. Coated work great on both, and the prices definitely beat Xtreme when bought in bulk...

So I've seen others say "coated" are cheaper... I posted this in another thread:

I'd like to try Blue or some of the other coated... IF I could get them at a meaningfully better price. If it's .10 vs. 11... not so much.

X-tream at 52 for 500 = 10.4 cents each

Blue at 74 for 775 = 9.55

Both have "free" shipping deals so that's a wash in the quantity we use. Unless you guys know how to get a deal I don't see, for a penny, I'll run the plated. ;)

If there's a better deal, I'm interested.... educate me. :D

EDIT: my numbers are for 180 Gr. .40 cal

Help me out, I'm just not seeing the big price difference? 1 cent each? :mellow: I guess it ads up but that's not enough to move away from plated...
Edited by Chutist

So I've seen others say "coated" are cheaper... I posted this in another thread:

I'd like to try Blue or some of the other coated... IF I could get them at a meaningfully better price. If it's .10 vs. 11... not so much.

X-tream at 52 for 500 = 10.4 cents each

Blue at 74 for 775 = 9.55

Both have "free" shipping deals so that's a wash in the quantity we use. Unless you guys know how to get a deal I don't see, for a penny, I'll run the plated. ;)

If there's a better deal, I'm interested.... educate me. :D

EDIT: my numbers are for 180 Gr. .40 cal

Help me out, I'm just not seeing the big price difference? 1 cent each? :mellow: I guess it ads up but that's not enough to move away from plated...

Over a year if you shoot regularly it adds up. Combine that with the fact that plated bullet accuracy is hit or miss (pun intended), and coated starts to look very good.

I've shot more coated than anything else and have no complaints.

ACME 147S ARE .07 CENTS EACH PER CASE WITH THE ENOS DISCOUNT

And small eggs are less than large eggs. ;)

.40 180 grain - same bullet I have listed for the others:

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloading-brass/40-10MM-Lead-Hard-Cast-Bullets/40-10MM-180FP-NLG-Coated

2k case @ $185+$12 shipping = $197 -> 9.85 cents each ;)

Less than Xtreme but more than Blue....

Edited by Chutist

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloading-brass/40-10MM-Lead-Hard-Cast-Bullets/40-10MM-180FP-NLG-Coated

actually, use the enos10 discount and its $178.50 for a 2k case of 180's

I just ordered some 147FPs from these folks. The 180gr bullet is $175/2K shipped, and they offer 10% off for military and law enforcement.

http://hsbullets.com/products/40s-and-w-401-180gr-2000-count-40180

I switched from 147's to 124/5's because of price. I get an extra 600 124/5's for the same price 147. Simple math to me.

Change out your springs to make them feel nearly the same

Plus the sights on my CZs were zeroed for 124s, so there is the whole "save 90$ on sights"

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

I just ordered some 147FPs from these folks. The 180gr bullet is $175/2K shipped, and they offer 10% off for military and law enforcement.

http://hsbullets.com/products/40s-and-w-401-180gr-2000-count-40180

That ends up at a pretty nice price 157.50 for 2k - 7.8 cents each.

Let me know how they shoot! :D

I'm about to start my first reloading run and am in the process of setting up the Dillon and buying powder and bullets. I've seen a lot of mention of blue bullets here but no mention of black bullets. Friend of mine recommended black bullets, anyone have any experience with them? I think they're from BBI.

Just got my order of 3500 125 TC 9mm from BBI. $235 including shipping = 6.7 cents per. They shoot great from my CZ SP-01. Highly recommend. Great speed of service and they are exactly as advertised.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Edited by inspector1999

I have BBIs 125s I am shooting through right now, they smoke less than others but the length can vary a decent bit round to round leading to more variance in the oal than I would like. They have to be loaded pretty short on some CZs. I load to my shortest chamber and it plunks at 1.090 so I load at .015 below that.

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

Edited by ArrDave

Although Missouri Bullets makes a coated 147 gr bullet for the 9mm....I've had good results with their regular lead bullet. Consistent 5 shot groups under 1 inch at 15 yards. I can't complain on their prices or shipping time either....$210.00 for 3000 shipped with the 5% Blue Press discount and on my front porch within 3 to 4 days.