Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

getting started in IDPA/IPSC/STEEL

I have been shooting for a number of years. I am interested in getteing into practical shooting.  i shhot a G35 .40 S&W as well as a kimber gold match.  Which would be better to start with?  Also how hard would the modification be to make a series 80 combat elite .45 into an open gun .38 super comp?

The series 80 gun is a single-stack, correct?  That gun won't be very competitive against other Open guns in IPSC that can fire 25+ rounds without reloading.

The Glock 35 is a great gun to start with.  The Glocks are some of the most reliable guns that yuo can shoot...right out of the box.  If you Kimber runs 100%...then that would be fine too.

With the Kimber, you will compete in the Limited 10 division (magazines limited to ten rounds).  The Glock 35 can compete in Limited 10, or you can shoot hicap mags with it and compete in Limited.  (You can also run the Glock in Production class.)

travismartois:

Flex is right, although the gun smith that keeps me and, my crappy pistol running is fond of saying god rides a Harley and shoots a colt.  Recognizing that he’s in business.;-)

More importantly find a club and start shooting matches.  You are in southern California where we have lodes of shooting, like every weekend both days, and many weekdays, not that I know anyone that can shoot them all.  If you haven't already go to http://www.jmallard.com/uspsa.htm and cruise for some matches.  It's a good start, and if you aren’t busy tomorrow show up at West End gun Club for a great IPSC match.  We start shooting 9ish, but get there at least a half hour early for sign up and stuff.  If you do come look me up.  I'm the tall one with a Friends NRA hat.

(Edited by davecutts at 10:49 am on June 22, 2002)

Travis,

I have only a Kimber Gold Match.  I shoot it in IDPA (CDP div) and in USPSA Limited 10 (used 8 round mags in Lim 10, but just got some Wilson Bureaucrats, so ought to get a bit more competetive).  

I think either would be great to start with, though I don't care for Glock triggers, and the Kimber's is pretty good.  My impression is that .40s are a bit faster to shoot because the recoil is sharper or snappier, while the .45 is more "rolling", and takes more time.  

While it's ultimately best to have 1 gun and really concentrate on mastering it, you might be best served by shooting each in a few matches just to get a feel for which you like best...Maybe even shoot both guns in one IDPA match (they let us do that at one of my local clubs).  

Mostly, have fun and shoot lots!

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog