Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should amateurs have to shoot against "pros"?

davidb72

I assume you realize how lucky you are to have been able to have done that ....

I agree that being able to RO at Nationals is another great way to have access to our 'Pros' but from my limited view of the world of ROs it 'appears' that is a somewhat long road to get to as well .... maybe I'm completely off-base but I would assume that not just any RO can apply & be picked up to go to Nationals, right? There is some kind of vetting/experience process to get selected? I know around this neck of the woods I'd see the same ROs at most of the level II matches which tells me there are not a tremendous amount of 'job openings' to garner the experience necessary to get selected for things like the Nationals .....

You just apply, having the Nationals in the east last year and this year has made in very hard for those in the West to make the full time commitment. Apply when notice goes out.Nothing to lose -lots to gain.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

maybe I'm completely off-base but I would assume that not just any RO can apply & be picked up to go to Nationals, right? There is some kind of vetting/experience process to get selected? I know around this neck of the woods I'd see the same ROs at most of the level II matches which tells me there are not a tremendous amount of 'job openings' to garner the experience necessary to get selected for things like the Nationals .....

You are completely off-base. Kevin Imel encouraged us to apply to work nats in our RO class, so I applied and was selected. At the RO class in march I wasn't even classified at the time, and had only joined uspsa that month, to be eligible for the class. 6 months later I was working at nationals. There are a ton of VERY experienced senior folks there, and they seem to like to get some newer (faster) folks in there to learn. They do a good job of pairing up newbs with knowledgeable folks. I was selected all 3 years I applied. It's not feasible for me to fly back east, but when nationals come back west, I'll probably apply to work it again.

I don't think it is luck either. I have requested to be squadded with top level shooters. Only once was the experience a bad one.

I don't think I have ever been turned down to RO a major either. The luck I got was working with JJ Powell ay my first Nationals who taught me a lot and told myself, and the other RO, that we would be rotating through timer, clipboard etc. I was pretty nervous when I realized I was going to RO the SuperSquad. I had two score calls challenged and that was actually a good experience to see come together. Let your SC and AD know you want to RO at the next major and ask them to introduce you to the MD/RM.

Or, you could just do this: http://maxmichel.com/pro-shooter-experience/faq/

maybe I'm completely off-base but I would assume that not just any RO can apply & be picked up to go to Nationals, right? There is some kind of vetting/experience process to get selected? I know around this neck of the woods I'd see the same ROs at most of the level II matches which tells me there are not a tremendous amount of 'job openings' to garner the experience necessary to get selected for things like the Nationals .....

You are completely off-base. Kevin Imel encouraged us to apply to work nats in our RO class, so I applied and was selected. At the RO class in march I wasn't even classified at the time, and had only joined uspsa that month, to be eligible for the class. 6 months later I was working at nationals. There are a ton of VERY experienced senior folks there, and they seem to like to get some newer (faster) folks in there to learn. They do a good job of pairing up newbs with knowledgeable folks. I was selected all 3 years I applied. It's not feasible for me to fly back east, but when nationals come back west, I'll probably apply to work it again.

Yup, I heard the same thing in my RO and CRO course. The only reason I have not worked a nationals is proximity....

I have shot with a number of GMs. And I know plenty of people of people who have shot with plenty of GMs at Sectional and Area matches before.

Sure, managing to "choose your GM to shoot with" isn't something you should expect. But plenty of people shoot with plenty of the top shooters in the sport.

Of course, something to remember is that often THEY like shooting with their friends, too, so they rather like being able to squad where they want also.

I don't think it is luck either. I have requested to be squadded with top level shooters. Only once was the experience a bad one.

I don't think I have ever been turned down to RO a major either. The luck I got was working with JJ Powell ay my first Nationals who taught me a lot and told myself, and the other RO, that we would be rotating through timer, clipboard etc. I was pretty nervous when I realized I was going to RO the SuperSquad. I had two score calls challenged and that was actually a good experience to see come together. Let your SC and AD know you want to RO at the next major and ask them to introduce you to the MD/RM.

Or, you could just do this: http://maxmichel.com/pro-shooter-experience/faq/

Well I was wondering when we we're going to finally start seeing shooting's version of the golf or tennis camp ... Edited by Nimitz

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be curious to see the demographic of the 18 participants in the Max Expereince ...

Attend this and need a good divorce attorney or watch it on tv when it comes on. ( just sent link to my wife)

Edited by Firefight5243

It is kind of interesting that in the last few weeks, and none that I knew of prior, there are four of these "fantasy camps". Will be interesting to see who goes, how they are received and if there ends up being any long term increase in skillset, or if they are going to end up being shooting vacations.

I watch quadruple USPSA GM Nick Saiti shoot at club practice matches and USPSA matches in the northern Phoenix area. He is number 15 on the Steel Challenge ranking list. Some things, he does so fast you can't blink or you'll miss them. Very nice humble fellow, always coaching someone or helping score stages. He shot single stack at a recent USPSA match and my name showed up not too far below his on one of the stages. That's the closest I'll get to touching the things he can do, unless I practice about 10 times more.

I learn from watching him shoot but also from how he conducts himself.

I may be way off base here, but I'm wondering after having perused this topic if the OP is asking the right question? Underneath it all, I'm wondering if what he's really asking is when did there become such a divide between the more casual shooters and the serious competitors in USPSA.? I know I felt it a little at the last Nationals I attended (and yes, I admit two Majors in a span of fourteen years is not a realistic sampling) and sometimes feel this separation even at my home club. I guess I'm also wondering if our more casual shooters ( a camp I guess I'm in if measured against the time and effort put in by other posters here) start to feel like guys on the outside looking in when their more serious brethren congregate at a match or on a forum?

"Clicks" at matches are usually around the same skill level. So I can see how the more serious shooters with higher skill levels could be seen as a different "group" of shooters, which at the highest skill levels usually have some level of sponsorship due to their dedication and achievement in the sport.

In the end, this is a classic "Haves vs Have Nots" whining discussion. The "Have Nots" will always whine about the "Haves" regardless of the facts, logic, or common sense that clearly defines why the "Haves" indeed have what they have. I say, Man Up and achieve your goals or quit whining. It does not make sense to create special classes, divisions, categories to essentially give everyone a participation ribbons. This is a game of winning and losing based on actual performance and skill. If you don't like that then find another game that suites your ineffective dedication to the game. But I am also known for not beating around the bush and calling a spade a spade. Some people don't like hearing the truth even when its unavoidable.

I may be way off base here, but I'm wondering after having perused this topic if the OP is asking the right question? Underneath it all, I'm wondering if what he's really asking is when did there become such a divide between the more casual shooters and the serious competitors in USPSA.? I know I felt it a little at the last Nationals I attended (and yes, I admit two Majors in a span of fourteen years is not a realistic sampling) and sometimes feel this separation even at my home club. I guess I'm also wondering if our more casual shooters ( a camp I guess I'm in if measured against the time and effort put in by other posters here) start to feel like guys on the outside looking in when their more serious brethren congregate at a match or on a forum?

Well said - that may be it.

I thought we already had an entirely separate sport for people that aren't serious about getting better. It comes with story-telling (make believe scenarios), no expensive flashy blouses (cover garment instead), and several other well conceived ways of driving off people who seriously want to shoot well.

I totally agree.

My local club during the weeknights has 4 squads.

Super Squad-everyone who is really competing

Squad 2--those coming up the ranks

Squad 3-Old RO's who are still playing, but its not that important.

Squad 4-Those who think this is a social club that is interrupted by some shooting.

Anyone is welcome to mix/match,

I totally agree.

My local club during the weeknights has 4 squads.

Super Squad-everyone who is really competing

Squad 2--those coming up the ranks

Squad 3-Old RO's who are still playing, but its not that important.

Squad 4-Those who think this is a social club that is interrupted by some shooting.

Anyone is welcome to mix/match,

I'm pretty sure I'd feel right at home on that third squad.

This is a game of winning and losing based on actual performance and skill. If you don't like that then find another game that suites your ineffective dedication to the game.

Or lobby to get rifles or some other division into the match to shoot because it looks easier. ;)

This is a game of winning and losing based on actual performance and skill. If you don't like that then find another game that suites your ineffective dedication to the game.

Or lobby to get rifles or some other division into the match to shoot because it looks easier. ;)

Way to troll and try to start a PCC argument in a completely unrelated thread. The other 97 page thread wasn't enough for you?

Way to troll and try to start a PCC argument in a completely unrelated thread. The other 97 page thread wasn't enough for you?

Sorry if the truth is a troll.