Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should amateurs have to shoot against "pros"?

davidb72

Simple answer to the OP question is YES in my opinion. The main reason why is that no matter what your classification is, when you finish a match and all scores are tallied and combined you are compared to all of other shooters in the match and your division. Example: I am mainly a production shooter, my current classification is Master. Now if I decide to go to the Production Nationals and all the top GM shooters are there we all shoot the match and Ben Stoeger wins, everyone else's score are based off of his. So lets say I shot the best match of my life and I placed 2nd just behind Ben. Was I shooting against Ben? Absolutely!! Now when it comes time to walk the production prize table I will be the second one to get to pick my prize.

Now lets say I had a very very bad match and I placed 60th or lower, and there was a bunch of "A","B", "C", shooters that placed ahead of me. Should I get to walk the prize table before these people that shot a better match than me just because I have a higher classification? The answer is NO in my opinion and that is why they have a HOA for the match and per division.

In the OP there's a comment stating that Pros come from "D" class to "GM" these days. Now this is just my opinion but if I shoot a clean solid match without any malfunctions and I get beat by a "D" class shooter whether they are PRO (paid by someone to shoot for their company) or an amateur "D" class shooter THAT"S JUST EMBARRASSING!!! PERIOD!! Or they are one hell of a sandbagger. I am not trying to take away from someone who is classified lower than me but based on my classification I should be a more advanced shooter than them.

Now with that the above being said if you go into a match thinking you are shooting against the PRO shooter and that you have to beat them. You've probably already lost. You always shoot your match at your speed. I have shot a lot of local matches over the last several years and have won several HOA's for the match and a bunch of HOA's for production division and have still been pissed off by the way I shot. Just two or three weekends ago I shot a local match and won the HOA for the match but on one particular stage I had two misses on head shots from trying to transition to quickly. This particular stage only one person shot this stage clean for the match, he is a "B" class open shooter and he slowed way down and took an extra shot at each of the heads to make sure he got his two hits. A miss in a match really pisses me off but two on one stage this just about put me into orbit. But I shook that off and moved on but the next weekend instead of going to a match I went to the range and shot about 400 rounds just practicing on this type stage scenarios. It was basically Ben Stoegers distance change ups with some moving involved.

I am sorry for rambling so much above but basically my opinion is everyone is shooting against everyone. If you are not happy with the way you shoot or where you finish at a match or that Ben or Max or some other PRO or amateur kicked you a$$. THEN YOU NEED TO PUT ON YOUR BIG BOY BRICHES AND PRACTICE MORE!! DON'T TAKE AWAY FROM THEM FOR PUTTING IN THE TIME AND EFFORT THAT IT TOOK TO GET TO THEIR LEVEL.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think there is enough shooters in USPSA to segregate "Pro's" from everyone else. To make a "Pro" field deep enough to make it worth it the qualifications to be a Pro would be too broad. I don't think that someone getting any sponsorship help automatically makes them a Pro. I can use myself as an example. I don't consider myself a Pro shooter even though I have several sponsors and attend 12-15 majors a year along with 50+ club matches. I am a GM and usually finish in the top 5 in Limited at most majors I attend. But I have also lost count of how many times I finished 2nd or 3rd within the division and not gotten anything for that hard work. So I don't really feel much sympathy for the guys finishing further down in the results not getting anything and whining about it.

I have a full time job that is not firearms related. I also spend a significant amount of my own money to compete at the participation level that I do. The sponsorship assistance I get MAYBE covers a quarter of my annual shooting expenses. The prize table "Haul" I get is pathetic as most matches have gone to a random drawing format. Scoring a $400 - $500 gun from the prize table is few and far between. Even then once you pay shipping and FFL fees that takes another $40 - $50 out of it as well.

There isn't enough money in this sport to truly make "going Pro" viable. There are maybe 5 - 10 guys world wide that can truly make a living off of shooting USPSA/IPSC but even in that group I doubt that many are actually making enough to fund a retirement or raise a family. There are small subset of "Pro" shooters who make a decent living by working in the firearms industry and get to shoot a lot as part of their job but there are also guys who subsidize their income by presenting a crap ton of training. Living out of a bag most of the year hosting training everywhere and shooting matches isn't a life style many would willingly choose. Especially when you can get a normal day job and shoot this game for fun instead of a job.

Edited by CHA-LEE

I don't think there is enough shooters in USPSA to segregate "Pro's" from everyone else. To make a "Pro" field deep enough to make it worth it the qualifications to be a Pro would be too broad. I don't think that someone getting any sponsorship help automatically makes them a Pro. I can use myself as an example. I don't consider myself a Pro shooter even though I have several sponsors and attend 12-15 majors a year along with 50+ club matches. I am a GM and usually finish in the top 5 in Limited at most majors I attend. But I have also lost count of how many times I finished 2nd or 3rd within the division and not gotten anything for that hard work. So I don't really feel much sympathy for the guys finishing further down in the results not getting anything and whining about it.

I have a full time job that is not firearms related. I also spend a significant amount of my own money to compete at the participation level that I do. The sponsorship assistance I get MAYBE covers a quarter of my annual shooting expenses. The prize table "Haul" I get is pathetic as most matches have gone to a random drawing format. Scoring a $400 - $500 gun from the prize table is few and far between. Even then once you pay shipping and FFL fees that takes another $40 - $50 out of it as well.

There isn't enough money in this sport to truly make "going Pro" viable. There are maybe 5 - 10 guys world wide that can truly make a living off of shooting USPSA/IPSC but even in that group I doubt that many are actually making enough to fund a retirement or raise a family. There are small subset of "Pro" shooters who make a decent living by working in the firearms industry and get to shoot a lot as part of their job but there are also guys who subsidize their income by presenting a crap ton of training. Living out of a bag most of the year hosting training everywhere and shooting matches isn't a life style many would willingly choose. Especially when you can get a normal day job and shoot this game for fun instead of a job.

Your post says it all . . . and nuff said :bow:

Yes

Makes our sport unique. No other sport is like this.

except off road motorcycle racing (at least the national H&H and national enduros).

Oh, and xc skiing too.

and distance running.

Sure, those sports also have self-esteem based 'classes' so everyone gets a medal and their mommies are proud of them, but basically amateurs and pros runs the same course, at the same time, and there are overall results posted.

I think if you have sponsors that cover a quarter of your annual shooting expenses you definitely qualify as a pro.

How am I (who gets NO support - not complaining, just stating a fact) supposed to compete with that?

I think if you have sponsors that cover a quarter of your annual shooting expenses you definitely qualify as a pro.

How am I (who gets NO support - not complaining, just stating a fact) supposed to compete with that?

Get good and get sponsored. ;)

What are you "Competing" with? The bulk of my shooting expenses are travel expenses for majors. Even if you had a quarter less of an expenses budget than me you would still be going to 10+ majors a year. Which in fact is more than the majority of very active USPSA shooters out there. How many Majors do you go to now on your own dollar? If its only a handful then you are already NOT competing with how much I spend of my own $$$ to attend majors alone.

Take a look at his range diary, that would be a good starting point. ;)

What have you done to EARN a sponsorship?

It takes 10,000 hours to be really good at something. If you think the shooters who get ANY sponsorship had sponsors before they started shooting, you are wrong.

The reason they have sponsors is because they put a ton of work into the sport first. Then, by NOT being a jerk on the range and in social media and forums, and being a decent shooter, they had a bit of a resume to go to potential sponsors with.

I'm tired of the "Why don't I get rewarded just for showing up or not doing anything to help myself" mentality in the US right now.

Your post says it all . . . and nuff said :bow:

Could not have said it better.

You could practice. That's what I do. I find it pretty effective. If someone else were covering some of my expenses I wouldn't realistically be able to practice any more than I already do. I'd just have a little more money for beer.

I think you make a valid point. So much so that if we were to actually look at a Professional USPSA shooter, as you mentioned, there are barely a handful that fit into the definition of 'a person whose primary income is derived from such an activity'. Continuing with this definition. a Pro/Am tournament would yield a very special affair. I reiterate my earlier thought that this term should for a charity type event where the amateurs bid or pay for the high privilege of shooting with (as in teaming up and competing) a professional shooter. The win is for whatever the sponsor feels is the best marketing product to pull this all together. At this time the sport does not have any viewing numbers to make this worth anybody's time.

In other words, the current concept is a misnomer.

To bring this all back to the OP. since we are all amateurs the classification and competition is full on. Whatever you can do to compete and win is well deserved. That includes having the chutzpah to find ways to finance your hobby.

As far as whining/whiners go, that is human nature; get used to it.

This is more than a little ridiculous to me. You can become a GM with about 90% dry fire practice. I know this is true because I and others I know have done it with no sponsorship assistance whatsoever. You compete with sponsored people by out working them. I would venture to say a lot of people that qualify under your criteria to be pro don't even possess GM shooting skills.

For the much of this, I think it's a moot point. Until you get to GM (just because there is nothing higher to separate shooters above that skill level), your supposedly shooting against other shooters of your ability. Just because a "D" shooter is a "pro" doesn't make them an "A" shooter.
If the "D Pro" guy does a great job at promoting his sponsors, he gets some help with fees...he does not get bestowed with mystical shooting ability. "C" class shooters should be regularly beating him. How many Majors can one win as a "D" class shooter before being moved up? (Honestly, I'm still new to this, but this is how I interpret how the class structure works)

For the much of this, I think it's a moot point. Until you get to GM (just because there is nothing higher to separate shooters above that skill level), your supposedly shooting against other shooters of your ability.

Not me. I personally think that's a very limiting outlook. I don't want to only shoot against other people who don't work hard enough to get better. I want to shoot against everyone in my division.

IMHO, the class structure is only there in shooting for participation medal purposes. It makes sense in some sports to separate people by ability for safety reasons (many motorsports), or for competitive reasons (where you are competing against individuals, rather than everyone competing against the course, like team sports, or tennis), but in sports like golf or shooting, the only reason for separate classes is that some people get their feelings hurt from not being very good.

Edited by motosapiens

What are you "Competing" with? The bulk of my shooting expenses are travel expenses for majors. Even if you had a quarter less of an expenses budget than me you would still be going to 10+ majors a year. Which in fact is more than the majority of very active USPSA shooters out there. How many Majors do you go to now on your own dollar? If its only a handful then you are already NOT competing with how much I spend of my own $$$ to attend majors alone.

I go to as many as my time and money will allow me to go to. I am the USPSA match director at the new club we just formed as well.

This year I will probably go to 5 major matches of which I will work one. That's what my time and money allows.

I find it interesting how so many of the other professional shooters jumped to your defense. Sounds like you guys stick together!

I find it interesting how so many of the other professional shooters jumped to your defense. Sounds like you guys stick together!

I'd like to know to whom you are referring.

I find it interesting when people come up with excuses why they can't do things.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

I go to as many as my time and money will allow me to go to. I am the USPSA match director at the new club we just formed as well.

This year I will probably go to 5 major matches of which I will work one. That's what my time and money allows.

I am honestly trying to understand your statement about not being able to "compete" with my level of sponsorship when I clearly invest twice as much of my own money than you currently do regardless of my sponsorship. When people assess others sponsorship they usually only look at the benefits received by the sponsorship and conveniently ignore the fact that it costs a lot in time, dedication, and $$$ to get there and maintain that level of participation. There is no free lunch in anything.

I am honestly trying to understand your statement about not being able to "compete" with my level of sponsorship when I clearly invest twice as much of my own money than you currently do regardless of my sponsorship. When people assess others sponsorship they usually only look at the benefits received by the sponsorship and conveniently ignore the fact that it costs a lot in time, dedication, and $$$ to get there and maintain that level of participation. There is no free lunch in anything.

I dry fire almost every day that I don't do live fire. I try to practice live fire once a week usually between 200-400 rounds. I understand that getting the results we want takes time and effort. I may not spend or work as hard at it as you do, but I don't expect magical results to just happen either.

To me this is a hobby - same as when I was racing. I want to compete with other people who view it as a hobby, not some folks dressed up in fancy shooting blouses handing out protips all over the place.

what on earth makes you think cha-lee is a 'professional shooter'?

I hope you're not lumping me in with that crowd too. I'm just a 54 year old guy who practices, and pays his own way, and is not afraid of competing with anyone. I don't have a fancy jersey, and I don't get any support from anyone, but I'm a competitor, so it's way more than a 'hobby' to me.

I think if you are wanting to compete against other individuals, and get self-esteem prizes for beating them, you may be doing it wrong. I look at shooting primarily as competing against myself and the stages, and trying to improve my own skills. Other people only factor into that as a measuring stick of that improvement, and I find that measuring myself against better shooters provides a more consistent measuring stick.

David, that is what Charlie and Jake, who are top level shooters, are telling you. Shooting IS a hobby for them, not their profession.

Getting paid to shoot as a profession, there are about 10 that get enough to live on from their sponsors, and most have another secondary income as well. Most of the rest have another job that pays their bills.

I have long wondered, why don't we pay out more? My girlfriend does rodeo. Even a local little jackpot barrel race (essentially our local matches) pays out. That's just how the game works. Getting your pro card is about how much money you have earned over the course of the year/years. Why would a similar structure not work?

I have long wondered, why don't we pay out more? My girlfriend does rodeo. Even a local little jackpot barrel race (essentially our local matches) pays out. That's just how the game works. Getting your pro card is about how much money you have earned over the course of the year/years. Why would a similar structure not work?

it would work great if our entry fees were as high as rodeo entry fees and if we had hundreds (maybe thousands) of people willing to pay to spectate. I don't see that happening anytime soon.