Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 yard Spitfire zero target

believeraz

I like a white target against a cardboard or contrasting color background that is light enough to see bullet holes outside of the white. A black target or black background can make seeing bullet holes very hard at 2-300 yds, at least with my spotting scope anyway.

Like Maize, I use paper plates a lot, cheap and readily available.

Hurley

I zero my dot by shooting a piece of 2" tape at 50 yards.

Then I put a 6-8 " piece of steel at 300 yards and re-zero at this distance with a spotter.

Then figure out holds on 6" steel from 100-400 yards. Then check 100, 50 and 7 yard holds on paper.

Done.

I like a white target against a cardboard or contrasting color background that is light enough to see bullet holes outside of the white. A black target or black background can make seeing bullet holes very hard at 2-300 yds, at least with my spotting scope anyway.

Like Maize, I use paper plates a lot, cheap and readily available.

Hurley

Exactly the reason I like a black aiming dot on a white backer. I am far more concerned with getting the shots into the black, the ones I need to see are the ones that don't go into the black. And I black spray paint and an unnatural hatred of paper plates.

All,

I'm breaking in my new Vortex Spitfire. Is there any recommendation on a zero target for this type of optic (3 MOA dot) at 200 yards?

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

White side of IPSC target and just center the dot on it.

Edited by PacMan

I use a 300 yard zero but what I do is set a 12" paper plate on a black painted IPSC metric target. When The center dot completely eclipse the white target I pull the trigger. I hate to say it but I've had some of the tightest 300yard groups because of this vs shooting a scope.

• 3 months later...

White paper plates stapled to brown side of metric target. 6" paper plate at 100 yds, 8" paper plate at 200 yd. Easy to center dot on target.

My club and my matches only go to 200 yds so I sight for bullet impact 1.5 inches high at 100 yds which puts me dead center at 200 yds, 5 in low at 300 .

In other words bullet impact is at top edge of dot at 100 yds, center of dot at 200 yds, bottom edge of dot at 300. No opportunity to shoot past 300 here.

Eric