Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Stoeger M3K, which mag tube, Taccom -Xrail - Nordic?

Boxerglocker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Just wanted to revive this thread, mainly due to some of the info in that made me (and presumably others) question certain brands of mag tube extensions.  Recently had the pleasure to get an M3k and multiple mag tube options, including the Nordic MXT and Carbon Arms.  After much fiddling, read on if you want some takeaways/comparisons on the product, install, and companies. It's long - but many of us have a lot of time right now. 

One should also note that the carbon arms does use nordic components as a modular add on, but makes the bulk of the extension (8 rounds) as a 1-piece polished stainless tube that connects directly to the receiver in lieu of the factory aluminum tube. You then get a nordic nut, spring, and extension of your choosing, with the kit, to add an additional 1-4 rounds, or presumably more if you really wanted to at your own risk?

Company -

Never had an issue with nordic and customer service, if needed, seems great.  Have used them for rifle and now shotgun components - they are widely available, time tested, etc.

Mark at Carbon Arms has always been great to me as well - gave me as much or more info than I wanted concerning his tube, and I've ordered 3-4 products from him over the past several years without issue. Ships very fast in my experience and despite the archaic website (no offense meant) the products are well designed for a shooter by a shooter, with some design chops. I would never hesitate to reach out to him via the forum and get good info in short order. One can always have, or get, a bad apple - but I wouldn't let this thread deter you from getting his gear. 

Products -

As stated before, nordic extensions, and similar, simply add on to the current mag tube.  This could make going back and forth between stock and extended if ever needed a bit easier as it's just a nut, spring, and cap swap.  Simple.  They look good, are light, sleek, and just seem to work.  The do put a seam in the first third(ish) of the mag tube.  Some say it's  a problem, some not. I didn't struggle with mine for the bit I used it, but sometimes we just like to tinker and get rid of potential issues. I found it very simple to pull and reinstall the factory tube retainer clip on top, again i've heard horror stories and was a bit nervous but found it take just a few seconds and be as easy as any other I've removed.

Carbon Arms extension - when I pulled the stainless tube out of the bubble wrap and let my aftermarket follower slide down I couldn't help but smile.  Same result when I put the spring and bolt back on during install and cycled it. Noticeably smoother than the factory system. The thing is slick! Carbon arms claims it will help cycle lighter stuff - I woudn't be surprised, but can't speak to that with good before/after info.  Install took a bit longer, but it was far from "hard" with basic tools and gun knowledge. I used a heat gun at a pretty high setting to really heat the tube near the receiver to cut loose any locking compound or other finishing crap that might be in there, while being careful to not get too crazy as I did want to save it, then was able to use a channel locks and just twist the factory tube off with minimal force. small mark on the tube, I used the tool near the top just below the threads so if it did scratch it no interference for the recoil system. Just for fun I did try to just crank the old tube off without heat or tools first off - no dice. So you go through all the steps of the nordic plus fully pulling the bolt/recoil system and removing factory tube.  Install was simple though, threaded right in and tight, I didn't use thread locker for ease of removal if I want - we will see after 1,000 rounds if it stays tight. I don't see why it wouldn't.  Then slide on the tension sleeve, screw on nordic nut, insert follower and spring, nordic extension and you're done.  It feels rock solid, according to mark (and I agree) no barrel clamp needed, which I really like personally.  In my 10 round tube the seam is barely in play on the last couple shells, and there is no significant levering against aluminum threads during use like other add on systems. The benefits of a 1 piece main tube.

So I stick with the carbon arms for now - like the feel and theoretical strength of a more-like one piece system and there's not many options for that - and this price doesn't come in much different than a nordic setup with barrel clamp.

More than happy to answer any questions, including more detailed install if anyone is considering that.  Can also send pictures of side by side of the systems if someone is interested/on the fence.  Again, besides just having extra time and wanting to share info on this great gear, I was recently on the fence of ordering from CA after reading these posts, so hopefully my words will help level the playing field and not deprive someone considering this product from a potentially great option. In short, I'd gladly use either of these systems on my gun but am excited to go with Carbon Arms for now!