Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shot my first reloads-.38sp

doubleshot

New reloader here just shot my first batch of test bullets last evening. Very cool! Great feeling to make my own bullets! Everything went great, I had 2 goals......1- don't hurt anyone including my self and 2- don't shoot the chrony and It went off without a hitch.

I want to make a basic mid velocity plinking load and am using:

--HP-38

--Bayoubullets SWC 158 gr

--Win primer

--data from Lyman on a Dillon 550b press.

I shot 3 rounds from the low end 3.6 gr and 5 shots each from 3.7,3.8 and 3.9 gr. Chrony was at about 15 feet from barrel.

My average velocity was a good bit lower that listed. At 3.9 gr, which is almost at the top of the listed range, my average velocity was 720fps which is lower than the starting load in the manual which is 769fps at 3.6 gr.

I'm shooting from a 4'' .357 and manual data used a 4''.38sp. My COL is a bit longer at 1.467'' and listed is 1.445''. I did that because I wanted to crimp in the groove.

Would the longer COL cause that much of a lower reading ?? Or maybe shooting from a .357 instead of a .38 Sp??

Either way should I increase my powder until I get in the range?

Thanks

Tim

sorry didnt clarify. I'm using a .38sp case just shooting out of a .357 revolver. Also forgot to list my average velocities were:

3.6 gr---676 fps

3.7 gr---680 fps

3.8 gr---687 fps

3.9 gr--720 fps

The largest jump was from 3.8 to 3.8 gr so I think I'm close.

sorry didnt clarify. I'm using a .38sp case just shooting out of a .357 revolver. Also forgot to list my average velocities were:

3.6 gr---676 fps

3.7 gr---680 fps

3.8 gr---687 fps

3.9 gr--720 fps

How does it jump from 3.8 to 3.8? Lol!

3.6 gr---676 fps

3.7 gr---680 fps

3.8 gr---687 fps

3.9 gr--720 fps

How does it jump from 3.8 to 3.8? Lol!

Ha...my bad I mean from 3.8 to 3.9 gr I had my largest jump in velocity.

My velocity seems low for the amount of powder I'm using and trying to understand why.

I did look at the Hodgdon web site for the LSWC load and I'm off even more than the lyman data.

Hodgdon --3.7 gr =834 fps

My load --3.7 gr =680fps

same weight and type bullet and COL is very close to the Hodgdon load

Edited by doubleshot

The book is your info guide and safe loads

What you actually get is what you get!!!!

Every pistol/Revolver is different

I have two 627 38/357 revolvers made about 5 years apart

They chrono the same loads about 50 fps different (same bbl lengths)

just shoot your gun and know what your velocity is a live with it (smiling)

If you have to make a power factor for one of the shooting games then try different powders

but like you said its a plinking round so as long as, like you said, it's safe, and accurate you've done well

enjoy the ride

jcc7x7

If you used exactly the same cases, primers, projectile and overall length as was used by the authors of the manual from which you got the loads, then fired it from a revolver of the same brand and model they used, you STILL wouldn't get their results. But you might get a little bit closer. Differences in cylinder gap, forcing cone dimensions, humidity at the time the powder was loaded, and more others than I could list in an hour all contribute to velocity differences between obtained and published results.

Certain powders are also bad about giving erratic results from pistol to pistol. I quit using W231/HP38 in everything, because my results differed so radically from published data.

The three powders giving me best results in .38 Special/.357 Magnum are Red Dot, Unique, and Herco. Despite their reputation(s) for burning dirty and metering like cornflakes, they give me accurate, reproducible results, and don't appear terribly sensitive to primer, case, or projectile brand changes.

When trying to reproduce published results, if I have low velocities and overall length is close, I try increasing the crimp slightly. Sometimes it helps.

When trying to reproduce published results, if I have low velocities and overall length is close, I try increasing the crimp slightly. Sometimes it helps.

thanks, I was thinking of trying this. I think my crimp looks good and I checked for bullet pull and did not see any but I'll try a little more and see what happens.

Edited by doubleshot

• 2 weeks later...

I run International (not International Clays, just plain International) for my 38spl plinking loads. Consistent, cheap, easy to find, meters pretty good, not too dirty at low pressure like some powders are.

Don't sweat the differences you're getting from what the manual shows unless it's a huge difference that would warrant a detailed investigation. The manuals are just starting points to guide you on a safe beginning point and safe maximums. Once you've got a load up and running, the manual basically goes out the window and you make whatever adjustments are necessary to suit you and the gun. Just mind your warning signs and don't get too far off the beaten path.

My plinkers are so slow you don't need hearing protection and you can see the bullets in flight. I've had people come running and hollering thinking I had a squib. Their face when I tell them it's my thirty-eight caliber BB gun, hilarious.

And before you ask, I made them for my mom. She's tiny (and not getting any younger) and no can no longer stand getting beat up by full power ammo.

This probably a lot too late, but increasing the crimp on your 3.8/HP-38/158 load might be enough to bump velocity from 687 f/s to over 700 f/s. I'd expect this to be very pleasant to shoot, and reliably exceed minimum PF for most contests, except maybe Bianchi Cup.