Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zen

38supPat

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pat,

These are basic techniques, still widely practiced in Zen today.

There are more subtle techniques, specifically oriented toward insight; but for basic "reigning in the mind," the following two techniques work well.

A basic exercise, devised specifically to overcome random mind wandering, is counting the breath in sets of ten. Count the first inhalation as "1," the exhalation as "2," and so on until you reach the count of ten, and then start over. Repeat this for 20 minutes. If you lose the count, start over at one.

Before you sit, orient yourself to just sit and observe your mind as it counts to ten. Nothing else. Make an effort to not judge yourself if you become distracted in any way. Just return to the count. Gradually, as you become more proficient, you can increase your sitting time to 30, or 40 minutes, if you desire.

Eventually, after you become proficient at counting, you can replace counting with simply following the breath. Dogen said, "When you breath in, know you are breathing in; when you breath out, know you are breathing out."

The first method is "easier" because it is actually a form of concentration; the second, technically, is also concentration, but more difficult without the aid of counting.

be

I was taught a similar method of relaxation,  only you didn't count breath, you listed and counted your heartbeat.  I use this technique all the time.  From work to play.  I find it helps relax me and helps me focus.  Another one I use is for when you are in a crowd.  Try to pick out one conversation in the crown and block out the rest.  I am

nowhere near perfecting this one.

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 3:44 pm on May 21, 2001)

Pat,

There are zillions of Zen books out there, some good, some not so good. I can't think of a good one to recommend at the moment - I'll keep on the lookout though.

Michael's post reminded me of a favorite "voice oriented" meditation. Hear the words of a conversation (between others), in your native language, as if it's spoken in a foreign language. In other words, your mind is not functioning in a state of "recognition." It's pretty tough.

And, for meditation in the midst of activity, orient yourself to simply watch your body move (as it performs all manners of complex tasks throughout the day which arise from simple "intent").

be

• 1 month later...

An interesting variation on the spoken version of the the "foreign language" exercise Brian described can be practiced many different ways. This exercise is visual in nature.

As a kid, I started doing this sort of spontaneously (I was/am something of a daydreamer type): when we'd be driving around town (with me as a young passenger), especially in commercial areas where there were lots of signs, I would imagine they were written in a foreign language that I couldn't understand. I remember how cool this effect was when I first slipped into it. It was like being a foreigner in my own country, and I could tune in to the strange and wonderful "otherness" of normally unremarkable places. It's a very magical sensation. Sometimes it would just last a few seconds, but sometimes I could hold it at will for long periods.

What was so neat about this state of mind was that, freed from interpreting all that written input, I noticed things about my environment that I otherwise wouldn't notice: the significance of colors and shape in buildings, plants and trees, the way people looked, etc. It's sort of analogous to being blind and having your other senses become more acute. Very profound stuff.

A nifty converse of this exercise, which I once again discovered serendipitously while I was stationed in Hawaii, is to go to an "ethnically concentrated" part of town were most or all of the signs are in a foreign language, and imagine that you understand that language. It may or may not be harder, but it's interesting how much you can pick up based on context. In Hawaii, there was a channel that broadcast exclusively in Japanese. I used to watch it for hours, and actually started feeling "in tune" with what I was watching. Again, a very neat way to "lose yourself" and get out of mental ruts.

I'm certainly not any kind of Zen master, but I have read of and seen it manifested in many, many ways (I got to meet the Dalai Lama once, for example, and he seems to "get it" [although technically he's a Tibetan Buddhist, but hey]). No one is qualified to define Zen in absolute terms, which is why it is so enduring, varied and valuable as a "meme". Everyone "sees" it differently, but a common thread seems to be the achievement of personal serenity, simplicity of thought, and among many other things, and as appropriate, focus which is razor-sharp without requiring razor-sharp focus (applicable to martial arts, including shooting).

Hmm. Mine is a long-winded description of a very small part of a very large thing. I guess I have a gift for that.

Hmmm. I should probably try to explain my preceding dissertation a little better...

The idea is to try to become "foreign" to your normal way of thinking, kind of like a "stranger in a strange land", except in your own land. You don't have to go outside to do it -- you can even try it while reading this message (heck, the way I write, you may not even have to try for this to seem unintelligible ). The trick is to see it without trying to interpret it.

What benefit is there to this? It would, of course, vary from one person to another. In my case, I've found it to be a way of "forgetting myself", almost like stepping out of my life for a while.

But the paradoxical result is that I can then see who I am more clearly, because I'm not "being me" as I observe myself. It's sort of like the difference between being a chess piece and looking at the same chess piece from above the chess board.

This may very well sound like nonsense, but I have found it useful at times when I am so caught up in myself or trivial matters that I can't see the forest for the trees. Just take a few steps back...

In any case, it's just another way. Pat asked about ways of getting mind and body in tune. This method uses "unfocusing" by "stepping outside yourself". Other methods listed here involve "focusing" by concentrating on an aspect of yourself.

Both ultimately achieve the same purpose by getting you to "see" yourself differently, and even "unfocusing" can actually help you to focus better.

"True Zen" types typically describe Zen as "penetrating to the true self" through "non-being", "becoming the Buddha" (one of the oldest writings on Buddhism begins by stating "there is no Buddha" ), practicing zazen (cross-legged sitting and meditation), etc. I find some of the traditional thoughts on Zen helpful, and some too confining. It's different for everyone, because each of us is unique and different (Taoists notwithstanding). Typical of trying to describe matters of Zen, it all seems silly, circular and/or self-contradictory when it's written down, but it actually makes sense when you're experiencing it. You'll find no shortage of sources and tips on Zen, but in the end, just go with works for you.

Ironic footnote: In the East, if you remain in this state you are considered "enlightened" and held in high regard. In the West, if you remain in this state you are considered "dissociated" and in need of psychiatric care.

Anecdote: When I met the Dalai Lama, it was about ten years ago in Santa Monica and my mom, who worked for Voice of America at the time, got me in as a "sound man" for a press conference he was giving, so I sat at his feet holding a microphone. He's a very perceptive guy, and at one point he gave me a glance that suggested he knew I was there under pretext -- sort of a subtle wink. One of the doting New Age types that was present asked him what it was like to see the world through his eyes. To the Dalai Lama's credit, he didn't groan and slap his forehead (I know he hates this sort of silliness). Instead, he calmly replied, "You know I must wear glasses, so it is very blurry without them on." I'm glad I got it on tape.

It was that meeting with the DL, and seeing how composed and tuned into the moment he was, that piqued my interest in the concepts of Eastern philosophies.

LOA

• 4 months later...

what a subject.

i reach points where the questioning ends at times.

that point is to undo and reduce our conditioning at every turn.

i have heard zen buddhism called "the science of redirecting the mind". this is an interesting point.

the only means for any buddhist scripture and meditation itself is as a means of directing mental focus to its proper state of awareness.

if you are "normal", or have what would be called by a buddhist master a "clear mind". then there is no such need for buddhist techniques for you.

i starting learning about buddhism when i got out of the military in 94 to make myself a more efficient martial artist. six years of plodding on with this thinking, i have finally discovered that you can't use buddhism to achieve goals. you are using yourself.

when buddhism becomes just another handrail to make yourself feel better about yourself, or what you are after, then you have developed for yourself another self-induced mental affliction.

i had to learn the hard way, the more you think you can use buddhism to "get something". the more you make things into black and white comforting distinctions.

everything is a cycle of change. this is the only constant.

i have to constantly be on guard against comfort and

convenience. zen buddhism, i have learned, is not good, or bad. it just is. it is everything we perceive. nothing truly exists in the metaphysical sense.

not only that, but physically, everything you see will return to its base element some day.

zen means rolling with the punches, good, or bad and in-between.

it is every action, every inaction. without our thoughts trying to comfortably label something for our perceived benefit.

so when i am old and no longer am in my so called "prime", will i be fine with that.

it does not matter really. we have to face things as they come regardless of our likes and dislikes.

i am a small matter, just like all of you.

this has been a problem of mine.

on a daily basis the object is to leave comfort behind and throw yourself into whatever you do without attaching so much to your selfish ideas about the way things should be.

they say all suffering begins with the self...and ends with the self.

now someone who is without stigma...that is rare indeed!

there is the ideal of course...we can never attain it, but the point (one in the same) is to leave/reduce distinction and get rid of titles.

to the point where you have nothing to lose and nothing to gain (mentally).

how can anything have an effect on you again.

right to your last breath, this training goes on.

shooting, martial arts, everything we think we are...ideas that fall away when it is time to face the end of life. it becomes rather trivial then. can we leave this behind and step to our deaths with a calm and peaceful mind?

that is the biggest hurdle zen buddhism teaches you to leap.

so death can happen at any instant. how will you face it?

people tend to avoid uncomfortable thoughts. it goes against their neat ideas about life and how they attach permanence to it. it would be beneficial to throw yourself away at any instant.

one buddhist once said "we are nothing but straw dogs". getting over our ideas sure is tough.

would you agree?

i am feeling displaced...this is good.

thanks for the forum brian.

be steady,

will s.

Shooter Grrl,

Zen is not different than attending to whatever you're doing - fully, completely, and without the hesitation produced by thinking (about one thing as you're doing something else.)

How about that one? It worked for Nik. :) OK, I added a few words but the point is still there...

be

Got step one - good!

Step two - Don't think about the frost on your neighbor's lawn and ignore the treasure in your own house. Translation:  Pay careful attention to how your own body-mind functions and you'll surpass even the great and fearless Nancy Drew.

be

Shooter Grrl -

"Baby steps" is a good way to get a handle on all of this Zen talk.  To use a shooting example:  Imagine you are thinking about how your match is going, then think smaller on how you are shooting a stage, then think smaller about how you are shooting at a particular moment... THEN STOP THINKING and just shoot.  

Sometimes you may not be doing well and try to think how you can do better.  Try thinking less and you might happen to find that you ARE doing better.  Less analyzing the moment.... more experiencing it.

Does that make any sense?

BamBam - got your point too!  I do much better with one thought at a time :-)  

If you give me a list, you leave it up to me to decide what is the most important one, and I'm usually wrong!  And I get bored before I get to all the points if the list is too long - there, more than any of you ever wanted to know!

• 1 month later...

"when buddhism becomes just another handrail to make yourself feel better about yourself, or what you are after, then you have developed for yourself another self-induced mental affliction. i had to learn the hard way, the more you think you can use buddhism to "get something". the more you make things into black and white comforting distinctions."

There is a Buddhist proverb about using a boat to cross a river. When you get to the far riverbank, you leave the boat behind and continue traveling on foot....you don't try to pick the boat up and carry it with you! It's served its purpose by getting you across the river and can now be left behind. The proverb of course is analogizing the boat to religion. The point of a good religion is to provide a means to become a more evolved, aware person, not to become focused on the religion as a means to itself. Just like the purpose of the boat is to get you across the river....not to fall in love with the boat!

Its the OODA Loop

Observe, Orientate, Decide, Act

They teach this to fighter pilots.  Then they teach them how to get inside the opponents OODA Loop and win.

Or its Jeff Cooper's "Front Sight; Press, Front Sight; Press..."