Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 minute rule for malfunctions - 5.7.4

Southpaw

"Letting" somebody DQ is not necessarily being a dick.

Letting somebody work on their own malfunction until they give up isn't either.

I have grown to hate the term range nazi because in most cases people get labeled that for simply applying the rules fairly across the board.

This seems worth repeating.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To a new shooter looking at at the RO helplessly, how about, "you have two minutes to safely fix the problem yourself and continue shooting, but, if you are finished, unload...etc.". If the shooter needs help showing clear, do it after the command is given,

That clarifies what the the shooter needs to do, but is it too much to say?

Edited by kevin c

While RO'ing an Area (leve II) match a shooter had a malfunction and stopped shooting declaring that his firearm was "unsafe". After clearing, I explained that the stage would have to be scored as shot. He insisted that (at his range) a shooter would receive a re-shoot due to having an "unsafe" gun. As the CRO, I called the RM to assist the shooter who had moved all of his gear to a Safe Area in an adjacent bay.

The problem originated from the local club allowing shooters to participate without properly applying USPSA rules. It is really a disservice for the shooter who ends up being surprised when the rules are enforced at a higher level match.

Unfortunately for the shooter at the Area match, he was informed by the RM (upon arrival) that since the shooter was in the process of handling the firearm, magazines, and ammunition in the Safety Area that he was DQ'ed.

Ranger6

Unfortunately for the shooter at the Area match, he was informed by the RM (upon arrival) that since the shooter was in the process of handling the firearm, magazines, and ammunition in the Safety Area that he was DQ'ed.

Ranger6

Damn that really sux.....talk about a crappy day

Ranger6

Damn that really sux.....talk about a crappy day
Literally from bad to worse! Yikes

Let's hear this one more time...

--- snip ---

The problem originated from the local club allowing shooters to participate without properly applying USPSA rules. It is really a disservice for the shooter who ends up being surprised when the rules are enforced at a higher level match.

--- snip 000

Ranger6

Thanks, 6!

--- snip ---

--- snip 000

Ranger6

Thanks, 6!
exactly why I feel no regret for enforcing the rules AT ALL TIMES.

While RO'ing an Area (leve II) match a shooter had a malfunction and stopped shooting declaring that his firearm was "unsafe". After clearing, I explained that the stage would have to be scored as shot. He insisted that (at his range) a shooter would receive a re-shoot due to having an "unsafe" gun. As the CRO, I called the RM to assist the shooter who had moved all of his gear to a Safe Area in an adjacent bay.

Ranger6

I agree that situation is regrettable and avoidable, but I don't think that's really a good reason to be unhelpful to new shooters. Not being a dick is not the same thing is not enforcing the rules, no matter how rules nazis try to conflate the two behaviors.

Helping someone clear a malfunction at a Level I is allowed if they request it and you, as the RO, approve. Not so at an Area match. It would be prudent to include that distinction in the new shooters briefing when explaining that they can request help. If someone doesn't know how to clear their gun, I guess I make the assumption that they won't be signing up for LII or above any time soon.

I've had people ask if they could reshoot a stage after they had a gun malfunction. Depending on the pace of the match and with the consensus of the rest of the squad, we may allow it for fun, but never for score.

Edited by JAFO

--- snip ---

--- snip 000

Ranger6

Thanks, 6!

The shooter also has to take part of the responsibility. It isn't the clubs fault that he doesn't know the rules of the game.