Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Nebwake

Gun safe interior problem with short rifles

My safe's barrel rests are too high for my AR's. Has anyone come up with a good solution to add a lower barrel rest so the AR's dont have to lean up against the side wall?

My safe's barrel rests are too high for my AR's. Has anyone come up with a good solution to add a lower barrel rest so the AR's dont have to lean up against the side wall?

I built a small platform for one side of my safe to accommodate shorter barreled long guns. I just stick important documents and small valuables underneath the platform.

Built a couple shelves for my short ones. Leaves the back half for mags or ammo, or whatever you need.

7c81a01cce79e0276b38e7fe610ac0fb.jpg

Edited by DWFAN

I built a small platform for one side of my safe to accommodate shorter barreled long guns. I just stick important documents and small valuables underneath the platform.

The problem I have is that I have long guns in the back, behind the AR's so a shelf would get in the way. I think I would need to build a secondary bracket that sits lower than the existing barrel rest. Problem is that it can really only go on one side of the safe, other wise I will lose the space needed to get the other guns out. Now the problem is how do I mount it to the safe wall since its only drywall. There is the metal track stuff there though.

The inside of my safe looks like a game of Jenga.

Yes that is one big problem I have as well since I have 5 generations of family guns plus 5 AR's, 3 Shotguns, 2 long guns and 6 handguns of my own.... I really need a second safe but no space and no money right now with 2 little kids in daycare :goof:

Take a piece of wooden dowel and put it in the barrel and cut it above the rack

Take a piece of wooden dowel and put it in the barrel and cut it above the rack

I thought about doing that, but was concerned about putting really anything down the bore, even wood.

Fiberglass cleaning rod? brass cleaning rod? Just an idea I have seen used

Stick an empty paper towel roll over the barrel, that should extend it enough to reach.

That's what I did also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

With the right kind of stock (M4 collapsable) you can hang them upside down. That's what I did with one, the other is just long enough. I thought about the brass rods though. That would allow maximum flexibility over the shelf idea. Depending on the time of year, the long guns rotate from front to back in the safe depending on if it's 3gun or hunting season....