Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Open Glock To Run

taxil343

I just finished building a Glock 17 for my girlfriend to shoot open minor with. For parts I chose a KKM barrel, Carver 4 port comp, Carver guide rod with 11lb Wolff spring, SJC upright mount and C-more slide ride. I have put about 50 rounds through it and only one has ejected, all others seem to be bouncing off of the sight mount and back into the slide causing a FTF. FWIW I have not lowered the ejection port as I have read in a few posts that it may not be necessary. I am not at all opposed to doing so if that's what it takes to make these things run. What extractor/ejector parts recipes have you open Glock guys found to cure this problem? Also is an 11lb recoil spring too heavy for minor pf? I chose the 11lb as that is what Carver recommended and I was a little nervous about going to a 10lb as the gun won't pass the "vertical test" with an 11lb in it. I do have a Zev ultimate trigger with 4lb striker spring so 10lb may be ok??? Also, I loaded 1 round at a time into a mag to see if the slide would lock back and it does, however the case is left laying on top of the follower. I am a complete newbie to open guns so your expertise will be greatly appreciated. P.S. I am really hoping to run my production ammo in this gun, 125's at a pf of 132. On a positive note the gun is quite light and recoil is miniscule even for an inexperienced woman shooter. Should be a fun little gun once it's running right!

Open minor? What is the point? Comps require lots of gas to function effectively. Otherwise, you might as well just take the comp off and shoot production.

The point is, his girlfriend can load up the 170mm mags to the fullest and not have to worry about reloads too terribly much. As far as gas for the comp goes, his loads may make enough to work the comp somewhat, but the comp weight on the end is what is really gonna help her out.

The ejection issue...I would try a lighter spring....you say you have an 11lb in it...I run a 8lb in my STI open gun shooting 38super...you need to get the slide moving faster.

4 ports is a lot for 9mm Minor. Minor loads don't create very much of a recoil impulse, and 4 ports provide a large surface area for the gas to hit to slow down the slide. Even a single port comp can choke a Glock with low recoil ammo.

Try weaker recoil springs and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies. I will start with a 10lb spring and see how that works. I know the Carver 4 port is on the upper end of the spectrum for minor. I went with it as I got a good deal on it here and Carver says it will work with minor loads as long as they are making at least a 130 pf. I'm sure he's got some tricks up his sleeve for making his guns run in this configuration, might have to call him and see if he can help

Mine runs minor 100% with stock parts, the 2 port comp, lowered ejection port, and an upright C-more. I would suggest the lowered ejection port and lighter springs or a little more pf to make sure you're getting good full slide travel at sufficient speed.

I just finished building a Glock 17 for my girlfriend to shoot open minor with. For parts I chose a KKM barrel, Carver 4 port comp, Carver guide rod with 11lb Wolff spring, SJC upright mount and C-more slide ride. I have put about 50 rounds through it and only one has ejected, all others seem to be bouncing off of the sight mount and back into the slide causing a FTF. FWIW I have not lowered the ejection port as I have read in a few posts that it may not be necessary. I am not at all opposed to doing so if that's what it takes to make these things run. What extractor/ejector parts recipes have you open Glock guys found to cure this problem? Also is an 11lb recoil spring too heavy for minor pf? I chose the 11lb as that is what Carver recommended and I was a little nervous about going to a 10lb as the gun won't pass the "vertical test" with an 11lb in it. I do have a Zev ultimate trigger with 4lb striker spring so 10lb may be ok??? Also, I loaded 1 round at a time into a mag to see if the slide would lock back and it does, however the case is left laying on top of the follower. I am a complete newbie to open guns so your expertise will be greatly appreciated. P.S. I am really hoping to run my production ammo in this gun, 125's at a pf of 132. On a positive note the gun is quite light and recoil is miniscule even for an inexperienced woman shooter. Should be a fun little gun once it's running right!

You have to run more gas for that comp=more powder. In your mind, more powder=more recoil and your defeating the purpose for your girlfriend. A two port would be better, but....

Put the stock barrel back in--have the ejection port lowered, and load 147s with a fast powder to make minor. She can still use a C-more, bigger mags and you will have more fun shooting. Open Glocks are just hard to get running.

11lbs is the lowest weight recoil spring that will run in a glock 10 wont always lock the round into battry. I run a carver 3 port comp for minor and 4 port comp for major. That comp is too effective for low pf minor. With your mount you will most likely need to kower the port, but the comp will also be an issue with low pf minor. I run a 90 degree cmore sjc mount to avoid the ejection issue.

Open up the ejection port , and try one of Bobby's extended ejectors. You may also want to experiment with bullet oal. Try shortening you oal slightly while staying in spec with the caliber oal specs. 115 MG jhp at 1.085 worked well in mine going 1100 fps and I used an 11lb spring with an extended ejector.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll stick with an upright mount for now. I'm going to take the sight and mount off of the gun and see if it will cycle. If so I'll start by lowering the ejection port. If not I guess I'll have to come up with a new load. Anyone have a good 9 minor open load? Hollowpoint and BoyGlock what did you guys run for extraction parts?

I feel your pain as I went through this stuff building my open Glock. I would try the following, in order (1) take the sight off and run it wet, very wet. Bobby told me that helps get the parts to settle in faster (2) get a box of 100 rounds of winchester white box and run that through it while you're running it wet. (3) Go with a Wolf 10 pound recoil spring over ISMI. Bobby told me the ISMI is a progressive spring and actually gets harder to compress. If none of that gets the gun running like you want then seriously consider getting a 2 port comp. That's what I run on mine and it runs like a champ. I run 9 minor loads in steel challenge.

Hello: I would run it at 140PF which should be close to Winchester White box. I ran my Glock 17 open gun with a 11lb ISMI recoil spring and it ran fine. I did not have to lower the ejection port or change the ejector. I did change the striker spring to a 4lb Wolff. Thanks, Eric

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll stick with an upright mount for now. I'm going to take the sight and mount off of the gun and see if it will cycle. If so I'll start by lowering the ejection port. If not I guess I'll have to come up with a new load. Anyone have a good 9 minor open load? Hollowpoint and BoyGlock what did you guys run for extraction parts?

Tried everything but no bueno except for extra power extractor spring (was that white defense? Cannt remember) but what obviously worked was Carver's Hunter mount that placed the slideride higher and clear of the ejection port.

Also I was running 9 major at 165+ pf ipsc.

Thanks for the help guys. I've got an 11lb Wolff in the gun now. Tomorrow I'll try what you've said and load it up with CLP and run some rounds through it with the sight off of it. I've noticed that just from the first 50 it's gotten much smoother, the KKM barrel is much tighter at lock up than the factory so unlocking takes a little longer and a little more force than with the factory parts. I'm hoping it'll break in more and slick up. After that if I can't get it going I'll try a 10lb spring and then start looking at different comps. Eric, what comp did you run?

After the match today I ran 100 rounds through the gun soaked in CLP with the sight removed. It hung up about 5 times and brass ejection was very weak. All cases but one landed within 2 feet directly outside of my right foot. One somehow came over the left side of the slide and landed on my weak hand thumb. All malfunctions were a result of the slide not coming back far enough to strip a round from the mag. I'm going to order a 10lb spring and try again

I have an SJC Open G17. I built it from the "home build" kit using a lower that had already been used for one. It has the micro mount and I have a Burris FF-III on it, running the 14# recoil spring. I'm running 124gr MG CMJ with 7.2gr of WSF. Runs like a champ. Ejection is not a problem. All in all, it's been a great way to get into Open. Glad I did it.

Tom

Edited by tkheard