Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quiet Eye tracking system and getting into the zone

Chills1994

I posted this in a different thread a couple of years ago:

Quiet Eye helps train Police: http://youtu.be/sWiGflJNFWk

What the experiment's lead person, Joan Vickers, said was:

...In traditional modes of training, universally, officers and sports people, sports shooters, they're taught to look down at the sights, and line the sights up, and then number three, look up and find the target. Somewhere in becoming an elite performer, and we found this in a number of studies, here and in other places, they changed that gaze control. So that if you are one of the best shooters in the world, whether you're an Olympic shooter or a you're a police officer, you look up and find the target...

Doing a little more googling on Joan Vickers and Quiet Eye, I found this article on trapshooting:

http://www.gatorskeetandtrap.com/documents/QuietEye001.pdf

Having the "quiet eye" means that like the shooter's left half of his brain slows down or kinda goes to sleep in an effort to block out any internal or external stimuli, to focus solely on the target.

Edited by Chills1994

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

"..In traditional modes of training, universally, officers and sports people, sports shooters, they're taught to look down at the sights, and line the sights up, and then number three, look up and find the target."

Universally eh? I don't think so

"..In traditional modes of training, universally, officers and sports people, sports shooters, they're taught to look down at the sights, and line the sights up, and then number three, look up and find the target."

Universally eh? I don't think so

Yeah that sentence alone makes my bullshit meter go off awfully loud.

• 11 months later...