Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ever drop your gun during dry fire practice ?

IHAVEGAS

What has screwed me is doing dry fire the night before or morning of a match. With a snap cap. And forgetting to take it out before putting my gun in the range bag. Makes for an uncomfortable LAMR.

I usually just put a rubber o-ring under the hammer so the noise doesn't hurt my feelings, but I did show up to a match once with mag full of dummy rounds still in my gun from dry-fire.

What has screwed me is doing dry fire the night before or morning of a match. With a snap cap. And forgetting to take it out before putting my gun in the range bag. Makes for an uncomfortable LAMR.

I usually just put a rubber o-ring under the hammer so the noise doesn't hurt my feelings, but I did show up to a match once with mag full of dummy rounds still in my gun from dry-fire.

I'm thinking dummy rounds in the safe areas is a DQ ?

It was in my case. The other time I caught it clearing my gun myself at the car before the match started as I took it from the bag to my holster. (at this match you are OK using your car as a safe area before the match begins with the shooters meeting)

Edited by rowdyb

Only if you handle them...

I think it would be legal if you realized dummy rounds were in the gun, if you immediately sought out RO assistance to clear the gun and continue normally. Certainly if you remove the magazine yourself or otherwise handle the rounds or loaded mag in the safe area, it is a DQ.

Guys, this issue goes much deeper than finding a chambered dummy round at the range! It means you did not clear your weapon at the end of your dry fire. You should have disqualified yourself at home! Please, during practice, handle your gun just as if it were filled with live rounds, and you are at the range. I even observe the 180 during dry fire.

Edited by Reshoot

Guys, this issue goes much deeper than finding a chambered dummy round at the range! It means you did not clear your weapon at the end of your dry fire. You should have disqualified yourself at home! Please, during practice, handle your gun just as if it were filled with live rounds, and you are at the range. I even observe the 180 during dry fire.

I think your points are valid, but for some reason remembering to clear a gun that you know was never loaded is a skill/discipline that has to be developed, or at least this is (hopefully, 'was') the case for me. I also try to copy observing the 180 by rote & etc.

Have not had issue with a dummy round at a match, but I have gone to the range to practice & found one in the chamber.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would be legal if you realized dummy rounds were in the gun, if you immediately sought out RO assistance to clear the gun and continue normally. Certainly if you remove the magazine yourself or otherwise handle the rounds or loaded mag in the safe area, it is a DQ.

Every RMI I've ever taken a class from has made the point that what we're trying to prevent with 10.5.12 is a one step into the gun/chamber approach for ammo. So -- it's perfectly ok to remove closed boxes of ammo from your range bag so you can retrieve a tool that's stored underneath -- but you better not scoop up any loose rounds, brass, snap caps, etc. If you rack a snap cap out in the safe are -- you actually did not have a clear chamber in the gun and this unfortunately does result in a match disqualification......

Every RMI I've ever taken a class from has made the point that what we're trying to prevent with 10.5.12 is a one step into the gun/chamber approach for ammo. So -- it's perfectly ok to remove closed boxes of ammo from your range bag so you can retrieve a tool that's stored underneath -- but you better not scoop up any loose rounds, brass, snap caps, etc. If you rack a snap cap out in the safe are -- you actually did not have a clear chamber in the gun and this unfortunately does result in a match disqualification......

I get not handling loaded rounds, I even get not handling dummy rounds, but could you explain to me how picking up an empty piece of brass or a snap cap is unsafe?

Edited by Jake Di Vita

"I get not handling loaded rounds, I even get not handling dummy rounds, but could you explain to me how picking up an empty piece of brass or a snap cap is unsafe?"

Where I get to is that it is hard for rules to cover every unsafe action without their being scenarios where you can get burned for violating the letter of the rule without violating the intent of the rule.

Not me but a match I attended last month, a guy dropped his loaded gun while reloading on the move. The gun flipped and pointed up range. I saw the muzzle and it was clearly pointed at me and I was just 15 feet away. I was so pissed off, both at the guy and at myself because I froze and didn't duck. Only luck saved me.

Not me but a match I attended last month, a guy dropped his loaded gun while reloading on the move. The gun flipped and pointed up range. I saw the muzzle and it was clearly pointed at me and I was just 15 feet away. I was so pissed off, both at the guy and at myself because I froze and didn't duck. Only luck saved me.

I think the last 100+ years of firearms engineered to not fire when dropped is what saved you. Don't worry, several thousand dollars worth of trauma counseling and you'll be as good as new.