Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a Cz open gun

thompsoncustom

I've been working on building a open gun out of my sp-01 shadow lately and I had a question regrading comps and breaking the bottom barrel lug.

I was thinking of putting a SJC 11 port comp on the gun as I just done fitting a threaded barrel. But I'm worried that the extra weight on the end of the barrel might end up breaking or causing problems with the lower lug on the barrel.

Any thoughts on this?

I know I've perpetuated and been a part of that discussion else where here, so I apologize for any confusion. But at the end of the day I think it's ultimately a design problem with high round counts and major PF. I think a lighter comp would probably help, all else being equal. But again it's probably just lipstick rather than an actual "fix." Keep in mind at least one person here has broken a TS barrel, so the comp isn't the root cause.

The corner on the front side of the "peanut" causes a stress rise, which is where it's breaks according to pictures and posts here. The newer TS/CM barrels have a larger radius to address the issue. I haven't broken a barrel yet on the new design, but I'm only up to around 1k rounds. I'll certainly share if I do break the new designed barrel.

I'm sure KneelingAtlas will be along with better wrench turning options once the left coast wakes up but options seem to be:

-run minor

-attempt to mitigate the problem (light weight comp, firing pin stop angle, etc)

-get a TS barrel with the newer design and have it threaded

Well that's good to know, I plan on trying to run a 26lb hammer spring to help slow things down figure it might take some stress off stuff. Maybe CGW or CZC will come out with a square firing pin stop someday...

Edited by thompsoncustom

• 2 months later...

Technically the TS/Czechmate is also small framed, but yes, they have beefier frames. I have been pushing CZ and Tanfoglio Open guns pretty hard for the past three years and haven't had any failures.

How many rounds of major ammunition have you fired from your guns?

~20K rounds, but spread over multiple guns with no single gun firing more than say 10K

Here was my CZ 75 SA Open gun built by Jimmy Vindanes at 1911 Speed Shop full profile

Cone comp machined from bar stock

Slide lightening

6lb recoil spring with 3 coils cut off,since the slide was cut back behind the front dove tail at1%

All the lightened springs from CGW

lightend trigger return spring with CGW flat trigger

Extended firing pin and lightened spring

8.5 CGW main spring

CGW adj sear and race hammer

The first C More RTS which I never had a problem with

Most of you are familiar with this piece of Art that jimmy built some have been fortunate to shoot it kneeling atlas,and now my buddy Mike Sawyer owns it

post-23669-0-03189300-1458965157_thumb.j

post-23669-0-05729200-1458965185_thumb.j

post-23669-0-94129800-1458965329_thumb.j

post-23669-0-84641900-1458965343_thumb.j

I'd go with titanium if possible keep the comp light.

The comps I have on there is aluminum.

Here was my CZ 75 SA Open gun built by Jimmy Vindanes at 1911 Speed Shop full profile

Cone comp machined from bar stock

Slide lightening

6lb recoil spring with 3 coils cut off,since the slide was cut back behind the front dove tail at1%

All the lightened springs from CGW

lightend trigger return spring with CGW flat trigger

Extended firing pin and lightened spring

8.5 CGW main spring

CGW adj sear and race hammer

The first C More RTS which I never had a problem with

Most of you are familiar with this piece of Art that jimmy built some have been fortunate to shoot it kneeling atlas,and now my buddy Mike Sawyer owns it

Wow that is a sweet looking gun, Is it the weight of the comp on that gun what made you run a sub 6lb recoil spring? I like the idea of having a aluminum comp made for the gun i'm working on with a lot more port to get it to run flatter. How did your gun shoot and why did you ever get rid of such a beauty?

Yes the comp was heavy but balanced the gun perfectly gun ran perfect if I ever had an issue it was ammunition or mag related (dirt from dropping it during reloads). I ran all Grams springs and followers.Gun shot pretty flat using

8.3 grns of HS6

Federal primers

AOL of .378

Once fI red brass

Made Major power factor at area 2 of 174.6

Not sure why I sold, gun is perfect

Also we had the entire gun hard chromed by tech plate including internals

• 4 months later...

Sent tooth and nail armory a SJC 11 port comp to do some work on, looks way better than the square block I started with. Still need to get a magwell on this thing just been waiting and hoping CGW would release theirs.

IMG_9540_zpsl4x52abq.jpg

Dang, that looks awesome!

Didnt get more than 50rds through it before the comp worked loose. T&N asked if i wanted a set screw which i probably should have got but if the loctite keeps failing ill put my own in it.

But im loving it so far. Groups seem really tight with one load at normal pratice speed. As far as recoil goes with that load you wouldnt known it was major if i didnt tell ya. Tho 8.7gr of aa7 still has a little bark to it.

Edited by thompsoncustom

Thanks for the info on the holsters I'll look into them, I won't be at tuesdays match got some market hog loads going out at the same time unfortunately

Added: looked into the holster and ghost has one for the SP-01 that looks like it will work prefect, thanks.

Edited by thompsoncustom