Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 autodrive for 650

Has anyone tried these yet? I know they are marked as "Pre order only - available in March", but I wonder if anyone here has been the beta tester for these products? If so, I am really interested in seeing the review before I jump in.

http://www.markvii-loading.com/Mark-7-650-X-Autodrive_p_38.html

http://www.markvii-loading.com/Mark-7-650-Pro-Autodrive_p_39.html

They look very promising to me.

The pics do not show MBF and I wonder how does the auto drive work without one.

Looks like just "concept" photos, no failsafe rod either.

While my 650's always ran well, there were always little "glitches" here and there, mostly due to lack of swaging station, and I didn't feel it was reliable enough to automate.

Then there is primer seating that is done by "feel" vs a positive preset depth on the 1050.

Edited by jmorris

Makes sense. My 650 runs fully decked out with MBF and case feeder. 800 rounds/hour is no problem as long as my arms agree :)

This thing looks really promising. I just want to see someone try and review it first. Due to the up stroke priming motion on the 650, I want to make sure the motor works fine there.

Also, how does this mount on a small workbench? Do you have minimumly required dimensions? Mine is currently mounted on a strong mount on a 24'' wide 48'' long workbench.

For the upstroke to work smooth, does the motor require the workbench bolted to the floor or maybe to the wall?

Lastly, how does the "Primer sense" work for low primer alert? 650 comes with a low primer sensor, but I suspect it won't work in combo with the Mark 7. Do users still need to constantly feed the primer tube every 100 rounds? I know MBF cannot take the weight of more than 400 rounds of 147gr 9mm at atime. So manual feeding at least twice an hour is needed.

Ive been following reviews of the mk7 for the 1050's on facebook. Those that own them really like them. Personally, I wouldn't want to run one on a 650. Too many plastic parts on a 650 including the indexer ring. For the cost of the 1050 mk7, I can buy another 1050, MBF, and an ammobot.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

For 9mm or 223 I'd say buy the 1050. But for those loading 40 or 38 super in quantity on a decked out 650 I think this could run nicely as you don't need the swage. The way my 650 runs I think it would handle automation as well as a 1050 does.

Looks amazing.

My main concern is... when i load, i typically have to stop for something every 25 rounds or so?!? Maybe it's just me, but something will cause me to have to make a manual fix. Either an upside down bullet, and upside down piece of brass, a piece of N350 lodges into the shell plate preventing the brass from fully inserting, sometimes the brass jams in the feeder, gosh it's always something.

I'd definitely consider buying the Mark 7 if it would run smooth enough that would make it truly automated; and all i had to do was keep everything full!

For me, I have already invested in the 650 with MBF and case feeder. Sunk cost is $1500.

Does it make more sense to sell the current setup, buy a new 1050 for $1800, then buy the autodrive (pro version) for $2850? Total is $4650, minus $1300 (assuming I can sell the setup for $1300). That means $3350 net new investment.

Or, I just buy the autodrive for 650 pro version for $1900, with a $1900 net new investment?

I am sure 1050 runs better, more reliable than 650. I am plenty satisfied with my current 650 setup though. Some say there are too many plastic parts in 650, yes I agree. Others say 650 case feeder is not 100% reliable, maybe. What would be a sweet spot to automate 650, or automation of 650 is not worth the cost/trouble at all? Why?

Looks amazing.

My main concern is... when i load, i typically have to stop for something every 25 rounds or so?!? Maybe it's just me, but something will cause me to have to make a manual fix. Either an upside down bullet, and upside down piece of brass, a piece of N350 lodges into the shell plate preventing the brass from fully inserting, sometimes the brass jams in the feeder, gosh it's always something.

I'd definitely consider buying the Mark 7 if it would run smooth enough that would make it truly automated; and all i had to do was keep everything full!

For my past 10,000 rounds, I only had to do a manual fix once. That's for an up side down bullet feed. I think the key is to vacuum and wipe the plates etc. every 3 loading session.

Also, how does this mount on a small workbench? Do you have minimumly required dimensions? Mine is currently mounted on a strong mount on a 24'' wide 48'' long workbench.

For the upstroke to work smooth, does the motor require the workbench bolted to the floor or maybe to the wall?

Lastly, how does the "Primer sense" work for low primer alert? 650 comes with a low primer sensor, but I suspect it won't work in combo with the Mark 7. Do users still need to constantly feed the primer tube every 100 rounds? I know MBF cannot take the weight of more than 400 rounds of 147gr 9mm at atime. So manual feeding at least twice an hour is needed.

I screwed my 1050 Mark 7 mounting plate to my sturdy bench.

The Primer Sense adds a second micro switch to the existing Dillon low primer sensor. Works well and support 2 generations of Dillon sensor design.

For my past 10,000 rounds, I only had to do a manual fix once. That's for an up side down bullet feed. I think the key is to vacuum and wipe the plates etc. every 3 loading session.

That is pretty impressive, processed brass?

Yes, all decapped and wet tumbled. Bought last year form a guy on the forum who is also local.

Looks amazing.

If you have an upside down bullet every 25 rounds or so, you definitely need to adjust the bullet collator. That should not be happening.

Yep. Once adjusted properly I'd say I get an upside down bullet only every 3000 or even less often.

Case feed is also super reliable on my 650. Very rare to get an upside down case. Maybe every 10,000. I've literally only had a couple ever.

Primer runs with excellent reliability.

Decapper is 100%

Powder drop obviously fine.

I think I could automate my 650. I can regularity do 1000 rounds without a stoppage other than to give my arm a rest!

I mainly load 9 and 38 super and supercomp. No special brass treatment. Just dry tumbled and sorted. Any crimped 9mm stuffs things up nicely. But I basically never get any. Got some once in some used brass I bought. That's the big advantage of the 1050.

I do keep press fairly clean. Blow it out with compressed air. Occasionally put some grease in the zerk fittings. I regularly oil the ram with motor oil and I have the dillon maintenance kut and use the red grease on the indexer ring, under station 1 etc. I'm sure that helps.

I think if you have the über $$$ 650 setup and don't deal with crimped primers then automating the 650 would be a good option. For most though you may as well get a 1050 if you want to go auto. :)

Edited by BeerBaron

So does anyone have experience with an autodrive 650?

I bought the one Brassaholic13 made, here is video of it:

My understanding was that the 650 was a challenge to do one pass reloading on it like you can with a 1050. I believe he said he did case prep one pass, then actual loading a different pass. There were just some challenges with getting the 650 to case prep correctly AND be smooth platform on reloading, I don't know if this was issue more so some calibers or volume of powder. He moved to 1050 for auto reloading why he sold this beauty - I just bought for case prep, so I'm fine with it as is. It's possible the 'dwell' and variable speed solves the issues on 650 he had, I don't know.