Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor PF with N320 & 147's

texasref

As the topic implies I'm looking for making minor PF using N320 and147 grain bullets.

I'll be shooting these out of a 5" 1911.

I don't have a chrono or I wouldn't ask this question.

The VV data shows a starting grain of 3.1 with the FPS around 780. way to low. (I'm shooting 3.2 right now).

Rather than guess, if any of you know and would share that information I'd appreciate it.

Buy the chrono it's worth every penny.

Maybe the person does not have a place where he can set up a chrono. Not everybody lives on multi acres of property. When I have shot at public indoor ranges, no one is ever allowed to go forward of the firing line. I think the person is asking a reasonable question and would appreciate a constructive answer to his question.

I'm a slow study.....the way I read the above reference on N320 is neither 3.4/3.5 grns will make minor power factor.

I'm using a 2011 Edge....to safely make Minor I'm loading 3.6 grns. 320 147 Xtreme HP at 1.15 COL.

It's very interesting to see the huge variation in loads that people use with N320.

For my batch practice rounds I use 3.5 grains in bulk......but load 3.6 to ensure minor ....any other experiences ???

While it yammering.......any experience with Titegroup using the same specs as above ?? Picked up some Titegroup and want to use it for minor match loads.....with Montana gldm147 CJM??

Thanks in advance.......great forum to say the least !!!!!!!

Note the temperature listed, far from ideal conditions.

Here is some similar data, taken from an indoor range with temps in the mid 60's IIRC. Note this OAL did not feed reliably in my G34, and I had to reduce the overall length, then check the numbers again (of course YMMV). Sadly I could only do this outside. Also note the G34 provides constantly higher velocities compared to the SA RO, while delivering lower std dev.

3.2-3.4gr of TG should get you minor PF.

As others have mentioned, you really should chrono your load/gun to ensure you have achieved the desired results.

N320%20147gr%20MG%20G34.png

Edited by safeactionjackson

Very interested. I haven't chrono'ed yet, but 3.0gr N3210 behind 147gr Bayou will cycle my SA 9mm 1911 with 8 lb. recoil spring. I don't have to make PF since we shoot SC. Just looking for a soft reliable load and currently evaluating 115gr and 147gr coated.

It looks as though 3.2 to 3.5 is the majority.

This past week I shot using 3.4 grains and really could not tell the difference between that and the 3.2 grains I was shooting.

This powder seems to take a little more to move the needle unlike the TiteGroup I was using.

Thanks for the replies and the help. :bow:

I peaked in on this thread because I recently made the switch from titegroup to n320. Also went from 124gr bayou to 147g plated. I loaded from 3.0 to 3.5 shooting from 5" edge. 3.0 made the slide feel very lazy 3.5 was very snappy. Just shot 3.3 gr loaded at 1.155 it felt great and was very accurate from 10 yards to 25 yards. Will get them chrono soon as possible. Hope they make pf because they feel awsome!!

3.3 grains over a Bayou 147 gets me 133 to 137 PF through my G34, which seems to prefer that little bit extra over the PF floor to function flawlessly and so I never have to worry at chrono. With Montana Gold 147's it took 3.7 grains to get 136 to 137 PF. I guess the jacket is that much harder...