zen_grasshopper

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alma,

I'm not seeing a fullsize slide working on this grip module due to its length. Will the Target slide work on a fullsize grip module?

I believe the rail length is the same for both the full size and the Target... For now anyway. I am back home so I can't test but I suspect that slide would work just fine on a full size. The FCU does have some changes that reportedly make this a standalone but I haven't taken the target apart to see exactly what those are. Although it runs well as is this gun is still a prototype so it's possible that some of the details will change between now and when it is released.

Am I the only one that thinks that thing looks positively hideous? Sounds like an awesome package and gun, but honestly that grip module looks terrible compared to the polished product of the current 320. I fully understand getting a higher grip and moving the beavertail, but that thing looks like it got hit with the ugly stick.

Am I the only one that thinks that thing looks positively hideous? Sounds like an awesome package and gun, but honestly that grip module looks terrible compared to the polished product of the current 320. I fully understand getting a higher grip and moving the beavertail, but that thing looks like it got hit with the ugly stick.

Maybe that's what happens when you have heavy input from competition shooters in the design of a grip. The preferences is to function and performance above cool looks. I hear Ruger has a new gun available if you just can't stand it.

Edited by alma

I feel the opposite. I have just a few too many nit picks with the current 320 to consider one, but looking at this gun they seem to have addressed almost all of them.

My last concern is availability of a drop in trigger kit so I can get the trigger under 3 lbs without having to send it to Bruce. Yes I'm a trigger snob.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the changes, but compared to the stippled traction areas and well rounded finished edges, this thing looks like a Timberwolf frame. I have zero doubts about its shootability being improved, and coming with a removable magwell, having 140mm mags available, and the recontoured slide make me really interested.

But just because you'd shoot one doesn't mean you don't think it's ugly.

JMHO.

Different strokes I suppose.

I think it looks pretty cool. I didn't like the P320 but I think the Target looks pretty good. I'd consider shooting one but not at $1200.

Couple of things:

1st don't believe everything you read on the internet. I could see MSRP going up 2-300 but that would only put it into the $900 range as the P320 Full with NS has a MSRP of $679

2nd even with a MSRP of 679 it seems that all the shops are selling them for less than 600 so at 1100 that would put the street price around 900ish. I would like to see a street price in the 700's as i think that would be a sweet spot to go up against the CZ's and such

Alma,

I'm not seeing a fullsize slide working on this grip module due to its length. Will the Target slide work on a fullsize grip module?

I believe the rail length is the same for both the full size and the Target... For now anyway. I am back home so I can't test but I suspect that slide would work just fine on a full size. The FCU does have some changes that reportedly make this a standalone but I haven't taken the target apart to see exactly what those are. Although it runs well as is this gun is still a prototype so it's possible that some of the details will change between now and when it is released.

It would make sense for them to be the same length. I was going by the picture that looks like the Target has a full-length dust cover on a 5" slide, and figuring that wouldn't play well with a 4.7" slide or holsters made for the fullsize 320's.

Ok, this is rediculous. They pushed the marketing about the modularity of the pistol soooo hard, and now the .45acp model isn't compatible with the other cailibers and the target model isn't compatible with any of the other guns... People invested into the platform with all these promises from the marketing department and every step along the way they have not delivered. On one hand I like the pistol and on the other I feel they have mislead their customers.

I agree. MSRP does not mean anything.

If there is a drop-in trigger kit to achieve <3lbs pull, like the APEX for MPs, then I am in to give it a try in Production.

Lack of after market support on Sig's is why I moved away from them. I don't anticipate a change in this.

I'm slightly freaked by the notion of a 3.5lb trigger with no external physical safeties of any sort, including one of the trigger lever thingies. At that point we are getting close to asking why do we need a thumb safety on a 3.5lb trigger 1911.

Any word on the rumored P320 Max model?

ETA: Alma, anything you can *wink wink, nudge nudge* for us about the ability to turn the new P320 Target model into an Open pistol??

I have known this gun by several different names already and possible that this is the gun that Max was hinting at months ago.

It has gone through some evolutions and will likely have a few (smaller) additional changes before it gets released; however, I don't think SIG will be close to done innovating when this gun comes out. There are still plenty of very compelling enhancements that have been suggesting which could find their way onto a gun in the future.

Regarding Open, you saw that the Target already has a magwell addition. Springer Precision already has 170mm extensions that I have run in my P320. The two additional things that I would want would be a frame mounted optic and a compensator. The compensator might be the more difficult of the two since you need a longer, threaded barrel for comp mounting and since SIG uses 13.5x1 LH threading. I am not sure what SIG's plans are for a threaded barrel for the target. It's certainly a possibility but I would expect to see threaded barrels for the full size to be available first.

I'm slightly freaked by the notion of a 3.5lb trigger with no external physical safeties of any sort, including one of the trigger lever thingies.

Then you shouldn't use it.

I don't plan to, but that doesn't mean someone around me can't screw up with one to my detriment.

Edited by Vlad

Ha. They definitely just copied the CZ/Witness grip profile, smart marketing move though...

Definitely did not copy the CZ/Witness grip profile. Roy from Bruce Gray's shop actually made the first prototype of this grip by taking a stock P320 grip and a bunch of DA290 epoxy to address the suggestions for improvement that the team shooters had for the current grip. It started with the mag well (losing the wing chops and making it easier to hit the front and back on a reload), and got rid of the thumb grooves by building up everything on the sides where your hands should contact. He left a nice shelf to ensure that shooters wouldn't accidently hold down the slide release, and raised and extended the beavertail as a nod to everyone who likes to use the phrase "bore access." The trigger guard was undercut, because why wouldn't you if you have a blank slate to work with? The shape at the back was found to help with controling the gun in recoil and the shape of the front strap was a result of building up the front without being obnoxious. I have been doing a lot of glue and grit jobs for the team so I will take partial credit for the design of the recessed grip tape panels which can also serve as convenient areas for glue and grit jobs. Finally, the bottom was specifically designed to make it easy to add an extended magwell for those shooting 3 Gun or Limited.

No other gun was really looked at; it was just a hunk of plastic and epoxy that took naturally shape around our requirements and I think it's really cool that SIG will be producing it.

Any word on a recoil system? I know Tim said the prototype one was a little short. A flat spring captured system or a solid guide rod where we can use 1911 springs? I like the 1911 spring idea better. So many options and cheap to replace.

Ha. They definitely just copied the CZ/Witness grip profile, smart marketing move though...

Definitely did not copy the CZ/Witness grip profile. Roy from Bruce Gray's shop actually made the first prototype of this grip by taking a stock P320 grip and a bunch of DA290 epoxy to address the suggestions for improvement that the team shooters had for the current grip. It started with the mag well (losing the wing chops and making it easier to hit the front and back on a reload), and got rid of the thumb grooves by building up everything on the sides where your hands should contact. He left a nice shelf to ensure that shooters wouldn't accidently hold down the slide release, and raised and extended the beavertail as a nod to everyone who likes to use the phrase "bore access." The trigger guard was undercut, because why wouldn't you if you have a blank slate to work with? The shape at the back was found to help with controling the gun in recoil and the shape of the front strap was a result of building up the front without being obnoxious. I have been doing a lot of glue and grit jobs for the team so I will take partial credit for the design of the recessed grip tape panels which can also serve as convenient areas for glue and grit jobs. Finally, the bottom was specifically designed to make it easy to add an extended magwell for those shooting 3 Gun or Limited.

No other gun was really looked at; it was just a hunk of plastic and epoxy that took naturally shape around our requirements and I think it's really cool that SIG will be producing it.

I love the new grip profile. The back is more 1911 style so the bottom of your palm can actually put pressure on the grip.