Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ICORE in Illinois

I've been pondering trying to start an ICORE club in the metro St Louis area for a while. Just found out one of the clubs I belong to just northeast of St Louis is looking to add disciplines so I talked to them about starting ICORE at the club. They're receptive to it so now it's a matter of finding folks who want to shoot ICORE in the area. If you live in the metro St Louis area, or within a couple hours, let me know if you'd be interested. Now that Green Valley has started shooting ICORE, we'd have two clubs within driving distance to shoot matches.

Jerry

Good luck getting off the ground. Our club in SO IN had ICORE for a while and then the MD had to step away, which I have (as of 2015) stepped in as MD for our club for ICORE. I already knew a bunch of other revo shooters from other stuff, so finding people to shoot wasn't the issue. The issue I had arise was from preparation, I hope that you can find other people to help you get off the ground, especially perhaps some of the other MDs. I was lucky that our USPSA and IDPA guys offered to help; I was a rookie in the MD department and had no experience, so I felt some of the learning pains at our first match, but the other guys being there helping made it better. I don't know if you have contacted ICORE yet about starting a new club, but they gave me a lot of help starting out as well. I know you said St. Louis area, is it in IL or MO? Because MO and IL are different regions according to the ICORE regional map. IL would put you in Central region where MO would put you in the Midwest region. I don't think that will make any difference to the local shooters, however, the Central region (WI, IL, IN, OH, MI, & KY) don't currently have a regional match and have discussed somewhat starting it again. It would be nice to have another club in our region (I think there are only 4 currently) should we get the regional going again.

Thanks for the info. The good news is I've done the MD thing before when my father-in-law and I started the first St Louis area IDPA club in '98. We were already involved in the USPSA matches so it was a fairly simple transition. The club really wants to get other disciplines started so I know I'll have their support. My issue is getting the shooters to come out. I've got to get the word out to some of the local indoor ranges and other clubs in the area to see what interest is out there. We're located in Illinois but within 45 miles of downtown St Louis. If folks are interested, they'll drive to a good match. I used to shoot at a club west of St Louis that is 75 miles from my house, but because all but about10 miles was interstate it didn't take that long to get there. I've thought for a while about trying to get ICORE started and thought that the World Shooting Complex down in Sparta would make a a fantastic venue for a state or regional match. They've got a very accessible range and all the facilities you would need - of course that means they'd have to keep it open.

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck setting up your ICORE match. I was MD for one here in Az. but had to give it up do to health issues. Fortunately there are two more ICORE clubs withing an hour of the house and they average around 40 shooters per match.

It's the friendliest competition I've ever competed in.

...Fortunately there are two more ICORE clubs withing an hour of the house and they average around 40 shooters per match.

It's the friendliest competition I've ever competed in.

I'm jealous. That's solid participation. Any word if one of them is going to be doing the SW Regional?