Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CM500 separator

Looking at changing from my cabelas unit. It never has fit as well as I would have liked. However, using stainless media I wasn't sure how the Dillon would work. Not worried about the lid just pin sizes. I could be over thinking it, just don't want to spend 60 dollars with shipping to have something that is no better to use.

Thanks

I use the big one with SS media, there are places where pin can hide out on it though.

b.jpg

If you fill the tub up with water it will rinse the cases off better and seems like fewer pins find a place to hide in the basket but I still use a little magnet to get a few that hang on.

IMG_20130727_144639_090_zpsd9095290.jpg

Very timely thread for you! I have only had my small Dillon separator since I switched to wet tumbling. It is by far the best tool for the job. Bought csbelas and took it back. Bought Frankfort arsenal and taking it back tomorrow! Compared to the Dillon everything else feels cheap and flimsy. Especially full of wet brass and pins.

The ONLY drawback is it takes much more water to "float" the pins out of the brass than any if the bucket sized units. But that's minor. It's just so heavy duty and latches easily and securely.

Get the big one if you don't mind the extra water needs and you have room for it. Otherwise you will be equally impressed with the smaller model.

GET ONE! Trust me.:)

I'm from the opposite side - I love my Dillon separator, just not for wet brass. Taking it outside in the winter in Michigan is not fun, and without a cover, it's a messy operation. I bought a RCBS covered separator and use it for wet brass. Still use the Dillon (small one) for media tumbled, primarily rounds tumbled after loading to remove lube.

jmorris - Thanks, I always use water now so that isn't a change. I guess I will finally get that magnet too. Looked at one a while back but spent the money on something else.

Sarge - Perfect! That is the feedback I was looking for, I was sure I couldn't be the only one in this situation. Why did you get the small one and recommend that large? Just space? The good latching will be nice! The biggest gripe I think I have about the others is how the back of the basket comes apart when trying to fill it.

Tom - I never use the lid, just do all the work in a tub. Central Ohio isn't much warmer this time of year, so I feel you. Haven't used dry media, yet. But that's a topic for another time.

I have wet tumbled for a long time now, I would really look at the Dillon. I get a large bucket that and just dump the entire separator in. I make sure that the bucket is full enough to cover the separator and just dunk it a bunch of times. I then put the separator on the Dillon tray and spin it and wash it off a bit more with a hose. I can typically get all the brass out by two those two step a few times. Once I feel the brass is free of all the SS media, I dump it into a dry bucket and slowly drain the water from the bucket and Dillon tray just dump the pins back in my big dog. Works very well... I do not need a magnet or anything!

I then put all the brass onto a towel or blanket and roll it around to get it as dry as I can. Typically I air dry, other times Ill heat it a little to get it really dry and get any potential water marks off it. once its dry, I can see if there were any "hidden" pins laying around... 95% of the time, there are none. the 5% of the time, there are so few, I do not pay much attention to them and they fall to the side walk/garage floor.

i use the wet method to clean my brass... I bought a brass dryer from DAA .. man, does it work...takes about 20 minutes to completely dry brass it will hold about 1200 pieces of 9mm brass ... in the summer it works to put your brass in the sun.. but winter time it does not work .. go to Cabellas.. and get a dehydrator they are about half the price of the DAA and its EXACTLY THE SAME UNIT !!! without DAA's name on it..

Edited by cecil

I use a large net bag that once held part of my pond filter for a separator. I just pour the wet tumbled brass and pins in the bag, zip it up and shake and tumble until all the pins have dropped in the 5 gallon bucket. Might have cost me $5, 20 years ago....It would also work for dry method...

jmorris - Thanks, I always use water now so that isn't a change. I guess I will finally get that magnet too. Looked at one a while back but spent the money on something else.

Sarge - Perfect! That is the feedback I was looking for, I was sure I couldn't be the only one in this situation. Why did you get the small one and recommend that large? Just space? The good latching will be nice! The biggest gripe I think I have about the others is how the back of the basket comes apart when trying to fill it.

Tom - I never use the lid, just do all the work in a tub. Central Ohio isn't much warmer this time of year, so I feel you. Haven't used dry media, yet. But that's a topic for another time.

I never had the need or the space for large. I have the small tumbler and separator.

I'm from the opposite side - I love my Dillon separator, just not for wet brass. Taking it outside in the winter in Michigan is not fun, and without a cover, it's a messy operation. I bought a RCBS covered separator and use it for wet brass. Still use the Dillon (small one) for media tumbled, primarily rounds tumbled after loading to remove lube.

Using the Dillon and turning SLOWLY6-8 turns one way and 6-8 turns the other there are literally no pins left in the brass. No pins end up outside the tub.

I never had the need or the space for large. I have the small tumbler and separator.

I am in the same boat. Only have the wet Thumber at this point. And if I get a dry I doubt I would go big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ONLY drawback is it takes much more water to "float" the pins out of the brass than any if the bucket sized units.

If you don't want to use as much water take plastic containers and put water in them and place in tub, they will displace the amount of water you will waist every rince. Same way to make a toilet use a gallon less of water, put a gallon jug in the tank to displace that amount of water.

I use the Lyman Turbo Media Separator - the orange one. It's the first and only on I've used. It works well, the price is about $36 and free 2-day shipping if you have Amazon Prime. I haven't found any places for the pins to hide. I don't use the latches on the lid. I just press down on it with 1 hand and crank the handle with the other - like Sarge described. As for quantity of brass, it not huge. I estimate it will hold around 500, 9mm cases.

Lyman has another one with the same name that looks like the top may be on a hinge - it's about $45, but I have no experience with it.

The ONLY drawback is it takes much more water to "float" the pins out of the brass than any if the bucket sized units.

If you don't want to use as much water take plastic containers and put water in them and place in tub, they will displace the amount of water you will waist every rince. Same way to make a toilet use a gallon less of water, put a gallon jug in the tank to displace that amount of water.
Yeah, I have been looking for the perfect solution to reduce the volume.

I use one of these, do it dry, it will separate the water and pins from the brass. Brass goes to dry and the pins go back into the SS tumbler. I rinse the brass and pins before putting them into the separator.

I do the same as Steve, I haven't felt the need to use water to increase the separation of the pins. I spin for about 30 seconds, reversing direction a few times and rarely do I find any pins with my brass.

Same as Steve and RDA. No water, just RCBS separator.

Spin about 25 times one direction, 25 times opposite direction, slowly.

The only problem I have with pins left in cases is 9MM, they take just a little extra effort.

I will say the Dillon equipment is higher quality and will last better. For the SS approach, if they just came with a lid they would be the only choice. Without a lid, too much chance of spreading pins in a large area.

Wonder if Dillon would sell just the bottom, would not be hard to modify to fit and would solve the problem ???

This is Great, Just getting into wet tumbling, have the first batch of .45s ready. Thought i'd do this set de-capped. I've had the Dillion large separator for 25 + years. Will be interesting. What is the recommended water/soap/lemishine mix?

• 2 years later...

Ok new question about the CM500 .... I've had mine for roughly 10 years & bought it used back then, so.....fast forward to a few days ago and the plastic latch finally broke on mine. 

I called Dillon up & yup ... They covered the match under their warranty. Well the match arrived today, but they say there's a pin you remove to replace the plastic latch, but I can't find it. 

What am I missing? 

Thanx in advance for any help.