Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are there multiple AICS Mag styles/versions?

Wild Gene

Question please.

I have some AICS mags that came with my rifle when it was shipped from GAP (I haven't had this rifle very long, less than a year). I recently purchased some new Mags from Mile High Shooting, an AICS distributor. The old mags are really tough to get in and out of the rifle, while the new ones work much better than the old ones ever did. They slide right in and out. Are there different versions or updates of AICS magazines for the 308?

When looking at the magazines the only visible difference is the original 10 round mags have a small piece of metal at the top front outside of the magazine, while the new 10 round mags do not have the bump. I also noticed that the original 5 round magazine did not have this bump either. Did AICS do an update, or was I just sent some inferior mags with the rifle.

Is there a tuning method similar to the STI mags? I think I could probably just file down the bump, but am not sure if the magazine will maintain structural integrity if I do.

I would post pictures if I could figure out how to do it.

Thanks,

wg

Are you sure that all of the magazines you have are genuine Accuracy International magazines? I only have two mags, so I'm the wrong person to ask if there are other AICS mags. There are at least four manufacturers making AICS pattern magazines, though, I do know that for a fact.

I bought 10 round mags from Accurate Mags and they gave me the option of either having the front plate or not. Not having it gives you some room for a longer load, having it gives more rigidity.

http://accurate-mag.com/magazines/

" These models allow for extended length cartridges but have decreased rigidity of the magazine. No blinder plate."

Either way I'm sure some minor tuning wouldnt ruin your mags and might allow them to drop free. GAP would probably be a good resource to call for specifics

Edited by blairmckenzie1

I wish they had better pictures. The very small plate on the front of my magazines is probably 1/4"x3/8"by maybe 1/16" thick and only at the top of the front of the magazine on the outside. There appears to be no difference internally, that I have noticed yet, but will go back and measure.

wg

AICS-vs-AICS-AX-mag.jpg

Tom, THANK YOU!

Found a picture, yes, I have two of those and four regular ones now. I'll have to read more about them now. Thanks again.

If the above link doesn't work, here is another address and article explaining the chassis. http://rifleshooter.com/2013/12/accuracy-international-aics-ax-2-0-chassis-system-review-initial-thoughts/#prettyPhoto

wg

Edited by Wild Gene

I wrote into GAP, they called me immediately.

They explained that while the AX mags can work, or be made to work, the other mags are much better, and that I must have been accidentally sent the wrong Mags. They are sending me two replacements, and I will return the two originally supplied.

Great Job making things right!!!

wg