Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro Custom Factory Mags

pete627

I just reciever 3 of the 18.9 mags listed above. The 9mm's are not pro custom mags. They are original mags but shorter than my pro custom mags. They do not lock in with the factory basepads and the pro custom magwell.

However...... I put a Dawson basepad on and it will lock in!

I just reciever 3 of the 18.9 mags listed above. The 9mm's are not pro custom mags. They are original mags but shorter than my pro custom mags. They do not lock in with the factory basepads and the pro custom magwell.

However...... I put a Dawson basepad on and it will lock in!

Sorry ... glad to hear those worked for you ... my bad ... the "black" ones ... are supposed to be the "factory" mags (and say so in the description) ... they were sold out for the 9 ...

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1482620.htm

You may have made out with even a better deal as the my "original" 40's are just a tad too long for the (MGW) scale with the Dawson basepads on them ... and I bet yours will measure legal.

Edited by pete627

I had just recieved them that day when u posted. Hope I didn't come off wrong in my post. I ordered some of the 40's now that I know what they are. I have an older para p16.40 signature that I've been using the old factory blue mag/Dawson pad combo for years and years and they fit the gauge with 20 rounds reloadable. I also have a new PC 16.40 that I will set up the new GPC mags with the same Dawson pads.

On the GPC 9mm mags, I'm getting 22 rounds with the Dawson pad, factory insert and no follower tuning. I'm hoping I can squeeze 1 more in with some follower tuning and the Arredondo inserts...

Noooo ... this is great ... (that your mags fit the magwell with the Dawson pads) ... I'm waiting for two of the 40s that I ordered to show up ... to see if they will work with the Dawson pads ... AND ... fit the length gauge.

I just wasn't paying attention announcing the 9s as factory mags ...

Let me know how 40 mags fiit the gauge with the Dawson pads!!!

They fit the gauge but that is all! :sick:

Just got them in today ... (glad I don't really need them ... sigh ...).

Anyhow ... they are a tad shorter than the factory mags that came with my 16.40 Pro Custom (May 2015).

They have "made in Canada" stamped on the body ... and fatter base pads than the ones that came with my gun.

They hold 17 rounds easy ... just like mine ... because of the fatter (deeper) basepad.

With Dawson extended basepads they fit the EGW gauge (141mm) ... but won't seat in my Para Pro Custom ... (won't seat with their own pads on either).

They seat fine (with either basepad) if I take the magwell off.

The "deep" basepads that came on them are kinda neat ... and fit my magwell when installed on the "original" Pro Custom mags ... It would have been great to sneak another round in ... but ... they are too loose and sloppy ... I would have to seriously fatten up my Pro Custom mags to get that basepad to stay on ...

Soooooooooo ... live (and pay) and learn ... I just had to go for it ... :eatdrink:

Well damn!! I was hoping for an easy solution to the PC mag shortage. I know the GPC 9mm's work in the pro custom with Dawson pads. I ordered a couple more just to have. I can only get 22 rounds with the Dawson pads on. I get 23.in the STI mags I use in my PC18.9. At least Gun parts Corp have a liberal return policy.

Let me know how 40 mags fiit the gauge with the Dawson pads!!!

They fit the gauge but that is all! :sick:

Just got them in today ... (glad I don't really need them ... sigh ...).

Anyhow ... they are a tad shorter than the factory mags that came with my 16.40 Pro Custom (May 2015).

They have "made in Canada" stamped on the body ... and fatter base pads than the ones that came with my gun.

They hold 17 rounds easy ... just like mine ... because of the fatter (deeper) basepad.

With Dawson extended basepads they fit the EGW gauge (141mm) ... but won't seat in my Para Pro Custom ... (won't seat with their own pads on either).

They seat fine (with either basepad) if I take the magwell off.

The "deep" basepads that came on them are kinda neat ... and fit my magwell when installed on the "original" Pro Custom mags ... It would have been great to sneak another round in ... but ... they are too loose and sloppy ... I would have to seriously fatten up my Pro Custom mags to get that basepad to stay on ...

Soooooooooo ... live (and pay) and learn ... I just had to go for it ... :eatdrink:

Canadian mags are far more superior in quality the the "oem pro custom" mags. I have to trim the DP a little bit to fit.

Well ... the "Canadian" mags I received most certainly aren't superior.

The May 2015 Pro Custom mags that I have work just fine with the DP extended pads ... with no fitting and hold 21 reloadable rounds ... but ... they are a tad long for the mag length gauge ... (OK for a steel match but the regular pads go back on for a USPSA match and that is OK for classifiers ... stages with short round count mandatory reloads etc .. My MBX and two SPS do the heavy lifting).

Anyhow ... "these Canadian" mags have very shallow feed lips ... You can see in the photo .. the "Canadian" is on the left and you can see the difference in the attitude of the bullet compared to the Pro Custom on the right (the "Canadian" lips are shorter in length too …).

Other than that .. the new Pro Custom mags are shiny and a little longer ...

post-61067-0-25210200-1453827188_thumb.j

Well ... the "Canadian" mags I received most certainly aren't superior.

The May 2015 Pro Custom mags that I have work just fine with the DP extended pads ... with no fitting and hold 21 reloadable rounds ... but ... they are a tad long for the mag length gauge ... (OK for a steel match but the regular pads go back on for a USPSA match and that is OK for classifiers ... stages with short round count mandatory reloads etc .. My MBX and two SPS do the heavy lifting).

Anyhow ... "these Canadian" mags have very shallow feed lips ... You can see in the photo .. the "Canadian" is on the left and you can see the difference in the attitude of the bullet compared to the Pro Custom on the right (the "Canadian" lips are shorter in length too …).

Other than that .. the new Pro Custom mags are shiny and a little longer ...

attachicon.gifcanadian.jpg

I tune/spread all my 40s%w mag feed lips to .385 +/-.003 wide. They feed great!

Well my Gun Parts Corp Canadian .40 mags came today. All of them will lock in with Dawson pads in my PC 16.40. One has a swelling issue. If I put more than 5 rounds in it, the mag will stick. Other than that they are good to go for me!

Well my Gun Parts Corp Canadian .40 mags came today. All of them will lock in with Dawson pads in my PC 16.40. One has a swelling issue. If I put more than 5 rounds in it, the mag will stick. Other than that they are good to go for me!

Mine are very close ... I can see the mag release sticking way out ... just wanting a hair more to snap in place. I am going to take the rear corners down a tad on one of these basepads and see if I can't get them in service ... looks like the rear is the only place they are touching. Always nice to have extras in the bag ...

Pete627, I bet if you tune that base pad it'll lock right in. My magwell must sit a fraction closer to the frame to let the mags lock in.

I have a good stock of them from my older P16-40 Signature including a couple STI para mags. Those old Para mags have been working perfectly in USPSA since the late 90's. Every couple of years I get some new springs. A few years ago I got some followers from a member here. That should keep me going for many years to come. These GPC mags will go in the safe for future use.

• 3 weeks later...

OK ... I got a message from someone asking if my mags ever fit ... sooooo ... unfortunately no (for me). I purchased my Para Pro Custom 16.40 in May of 2015 ... new.

I trimmed the rear of one of the bases on the "Gun Parts" mags ... and it set deeper but then bottomed out on the other three sides ... sigh ...

I am running a Cheely magwell and figured I would put the little guy back on to see if that was the difference ... no dice ...

If you look at the photos you can see on of the "Gun Parts" mags bottomed out in the Cheely ... one photo shows the "Gun Parts" mag seated on the gun with the magwell completely removed ... and I can tell you it only snapped in by pushing firmly and rocking forward ... the other photo shows one of the factory mags that shipped with the gun ... and the (large) clearance it has (that is the original base pad on it too).

Soooooooooo ... no dice for me ... I am going to see if the person who asked me wants these two "Gun Parts" mags to experiment with as they are of no use to me.

post-61067-0-74396600-1455493070_thumb.jpost-61067-0-32376400-1455493121_thumb.jpost-61067-0-55232400-1455493200_thumb.j

Well that sucks! I have the cheely magwell on my PC 18.9 and the 6 gun parts 9mm mags I bought will not work with the factory basepads either. They all do work for me when I swap out the pads for Dawson's pads. It's a hard seat with 22 rounds in the mags but they work. When I switch to the original factory Dawson PC magwell and use the Dawson pads it's a bit easier. I think the shoulder angle of the Dawson pads matches the inside magwell angle better than the cheely.

Same thing with my PC 16.40. Very hard to seat with 20 rounds but will seat with GPC mags,the Dawson pads and cheely magwell. It's better and more usable with the factory Dawson magwell so on the PC 16.40 I'm not running the cheely magwell.