Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How "extended" are extended firing pins?

mrgrabow

Factory 2.145" extended 2.250" Nether the stock or extended firing pin protrude from the breech face when at rest, The extended firing pin protrudes out the back of the slide more. This gives the hammer more of the firing pin to strike. When the hammer hits the back of the firing pin it is driven by momentum to strike the primer.

CZC go bang every time cause the retaining pin channel is longer. "Other" manufacturers aren't as long, hence the use federals, cause their pin channel restricts the amount of forward travel.

In other words, if you want your gun to go bang evertime, get CZC...

No the extended firing pin is longer. the hammer has more of the pin to hit, this makes the pin hit the primer harder.

TJART there are two types of extended firing pins the one you referrer to is for the firing block guns( has the retaining pin channel) . The other is for the the non firing pin block guns. The overall length of both are the same 0.250" Just so you know CZC also recommends Federal primers when you get a competition trigger job from them, it has more to do with using light hammer springs not the extended firing pin. You use a extended firing pin so you can go to a lighter hammer spring. (8.5#)

No the extended firing pin is longer. the hammer has more of the pin to hit, this makes the pin hit the primer harder.

TJART there are two types of extended firing pins the one you referrer to is for the firing block guns( has the retaining pin channel) . The other is for the the non firing pin block guns. The overall length of both are the same 0.250" Just so you know CZC also recommends Federal primers when you get a competition trigger job from them, it has more to do with using light hammer springs not the extended firing pin. You use a extended firing pin so you can go to a lighter hammer spring. (8.5#)

Extended firing pin means nothing if the channel isn't long enough to let the firing pin strike the primer with conviction.

Extended firing pin means nothing if the channel isn't long enough to let the firing pin strike the primer with conviction.

You're missing the point. There is no 'retaining channel' in shadow and non-fpb firing pins. They are retained by the rear plate like a 1911 etc.

Also, TJART, what Stuart did for you is a workaround for light strikes leftover from the time when there were no extended firing pins for people using reduced weight main springs. He did not identify and fix THE problem. He gave you a workaround for the unidentified problem. Stuart in fact called it a "trick".

I get that your appreciative, and Stu is a great guy to deal with. I really like to give that guy my money. But you installed aftermarket parts, had a problem, blamed it on the platform, decided to switch platforms, then after Stuart helped you out with a workaround, you've decided that one of the parts was the problem, CZC is great, CGW is not, and everyone needs to go CZC. There are tons of people using CGW's extended firing pin without issue. Your situation was an anomaly, which suggests that your issue is not a problem with the firing pin design. For all you know, you could in fact have the timing problem David suggested you had. If I remember correctly, after you relieved that slot in the firing pin, you had a problem with reset, which can be a timing issue.

Your problem is now solved. Be happy. And by all means be appreciative of Stuart -- that guy deserves a lot of praise for a lot of good deeds. But don't spread the word of your firing pin problem like it's the rule instead of the exception.

Also, TJART, what Stuart did for you is a workaround for light strikes leftover from the time when there were no extended firing pins for people using reduced weight main springs. He did not identify and fix THE problem. He gave you a workaround for the unidentified problem. Stuart in fact called it a "trick".

I get that your appreciative, and Stu is a great guy to deal with. I really like to give that guy my money. But you installed aftermarket parts, had a problem, blamed it on the platform, decided to switch platforms, then after Stuart helped you out with a workaround, you've decided that one of the parts was the problem, CZC is great, CGW is not, and everyone needs to go CZC. There are tons of people using CGW's extended firing pin without issue. Your situation was an anomaly, which suggests that your issue is not a problem with the firing pin design. For all you know, you could in fact have the timing problem David suggested you had. If I remember correctly, after you relieved that slot in the firing pin, you had a problem with reset, which can be a timing issue.

Your problem is now solved. Be happy. And by all means be appreciative of Stuart -- that guy deserves a lot of praise for a lot of good deeds. But don't spread the word of your firing pin problem like it's the rule instead of the exception.

My problem was most def with the firing pin. I never had a timing problem (as david suggested).

The hammer follow wasn't a timing issue either. It was a hammer hook issue that I resolved by filing on the section that the sear rides on.

I was thinking something similar didn't want to be accused of some kind of personal insult. TJ seems to have a lot of problems with his CZ. He is quite possibly very unlucky and gets lots of bad parts or perhaps it could be the installation. I don't know.

The CGW parts I've seen and tried were excellent.