Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ecuador's Political Environment

Today I received the following newsclip from a good friend. Would this be something to worry about for WS attendees? I don't know, but I'd advice to stay in touch with the news and maybe call the State Dept. couple of days before traveling to get a sitrep. I wouldn't want to be caught in the midst of a revolt.

Just watch out!

Published - Apr 03 2005 00:53AM EST || AP

GUAYAQUIL, Ecuador(AP) Ecuador's former president returned home Saturday after spending eight years in exile in Panama, telling thousands that he plans to lead a "revolution of the poor" modeled after President Hugo Chavez' Venezuela.

Abdala Bucaram's return came two days after he was cleared of criminal action by Ecuador's high court. The ruling by Supreme Court President Guillermo Castro was criticized by political rivals as a rigged decision to annul corruption charges against the populist former president.

"I come to Ecuador to copy Chavez's style with a great Bolivarian revolution," Bucaram said, referring to the leftist Venezuelan president's movement, which is loosely based on the writings of South American independence hero Simon Bolivar.

Bucaram, who arrived to the rally several hours later than scheduled in a helicopter, said he would oppose "the imposition of military bases" on Ecuador _ an apparent reference to the United States' use of the Manta air base as an operations center in its war on drug trafficking in Latin America. He also spoke out against regional free trade agreements with the United States.

"With my fist I tell them that Abadala comes to lead a revolution of the poor," said Bucaram, who is expected to run for president in elections late next year. "Here's Abdala, with grayer hair ... but crazier to break the soul of the Ecuadorean oligarchy."

His speech, delivered in the city center, was interrupted several times as about 20,000 supporters screamed and waved placards, one of which read: "Only God knows how much we've suffered in your absences."

Bucaram, known for his flamboyant style, served as president for only six months before he was removed from office by Congress in February 1997 for "mental incapacity." He fled the country and was granted political asylum in Panama soon after his ouster _ making it the third time he took refuge in Panama.

In September 1985, he spent two years in that country to avoid criminal defamation charges after he criticized Ecuador's armed forces as "being absolutely good for nothing if not spending money on parades." His second two-year flight from criminal charges came in 1988 when he was accused of misappropriating public funds while serving as Guayaquil's mayor.

His return is the latest in an unfolding political drama that has gripped this poverty-stricken country that is currently in the midst of a congressional battle for control of the judicial system.