Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 sti edge hard trigger pull with mag in, light pull with mag out

749cc

I have a 2011 edge chambered in .40 and have a trigger issue. The trigger will some times be very difficult to pull while a mag is in. I have tried a few different mags with the same result. With the mag well empty it is a very pleasant 2.5lb crisp trigger. I am tempted to buy one of those trigger bow stirrup die to check the bow but thought I would see if anyone has ever had this experience first. When I look into the mag well I can't see anything obvious. Also the mags drop free as is they are not hanging up on the bow.

Removing the top end for a better view of the mag inside the gun is a good idea. The guns age and round count is unknown. It's a friends back up gun he loaned me. The trigger looks stock other then a tune it received when it was first bought. I took on the project to study and lean what I can on the 2011 platform. So far I really like them and I'm going to buy my own soon.

+50 on the trigger bow rubbing the magazine. if you're competent (no insult meant) disassemble your lower and try to drop your trigger bow over your magazine, it should fall all the way down with minimal rub and no hang up, if it does hang up, you need to spread it out but not so much that it rubs the inside of the lower. it'll take some time a tweaking. or take it to a local gunsmith.

Here's a few things I've seen cause this issue:

1) Trigger bow- as discussed above- most likely cause.

2) Center sear spring leaf protruding into the magwell. The magazine then pushes back on the spring. Usually this results in the disconnector not being pushed up reliably.

3) A loose magazine release catch (play in the grip). The overtravel stop screw pushes on the mag release, pushing it back into the magazine. Remove the mag release, seat a magazine and see if you still have the problem.

4) Broken trigger bow where the bow is staked to the trigger shoe.

Steve Pitt

Do you have the stock STI poly trigger in your gun? If so, I had the same problem and I noticed it while dry firing. I tried a bunch of different things and couldn't figure it out. What i did and it worked for me and i haven't had the problem since, was adjusted the over travel screw in the trigger OUT about a half a turn and i haven't had the problem since. Hopefully this helps you.

I had the same issue with my new crp edge. the gun ran great then I installed a new grip from Extreme shooters the Dexter. Trigger pull was nice and crip when empty, but when loaded, I was getting a much heavier trigger pull. I was told that because of the grip reduction I might be griping the frame too hard and putting pressure on the trigger Bow. I re installed the original grip and gun ran great. Shot the FL state championship with no issue's.

Now to the op, what kind of grip are you running?

Sorry for the late response guys been really busy. But anyway I removed the slide and inserted a mag inspected to find the front of the trigger bow is contacting the front portion of the magazine. Before I saw that I was thinking it may be the side of the bow rubbing on the mags but it was not. I proceed to fully disassemble the lower to find everything looked good. I inspected the trigger bow for any burs or tweaks in the shape and it looked good. I cleaned and lubbed all parts then reassembled her. I dry fired many times and was unable to duplicate the original hard trigger pull with a magazine in. For the record I tested with the same 126mm and 140mm mags before and after. I'm not sure what to think at this point. I was hoping to find a smoking gun to replace a part or two but found nothing. I will see how she runs at the range this weekend.

I got a cheap 1911 and did some trigger work on it, and had somewhat similar experience at first when installing a different trigger. The whole trigger mechanism was riding too far back in the gun, and while the take-up was nice and light, it was harder to push through the break. Without a mag in the gun I didn't notice it at first.

It sounds like you should be able to adjust that out with the over-travel screw and the pre-travel/take-up tabs. It might need subsequent sear spring tuning.

Granted this is the first time I worked on a trigger (though I have to say it came out perfect), so take it for what it's worth and confirm or let a 'smith do the work).

Edited by StraightSh00ter

• 3 months later...

I totally forgot to add this. So anyway I replaced the trigger/bow with a new one and she shot up to spec. I compared the measurements on the trigger bow and found that the old one had been bent slightly. I suspect it was from when the gun was loaned out and the shooter not used to the light trigger and kept pulling it way too hard.