Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who is crimping 223?

Novock

I am about 5k into loading 223 for next shootings season (3 gun) and a buddy told me i was nuts for not crimping my 223. I run my brass through the sizing and decapping die before trimming and actually once more after tumbling and swagging to make sure the primer hole is free of media (i know the second sizing affects case length). The neck tension is solid and i have not seen a round that had me worried.

Should I be?

I understand that the bolt carrier in my AR slams the round into the feed ramp and could shorten my OAL, but I have tested this and it is next to nothing after charging the weapon.

What's "next to nothing?"

Cycling 5 times through my Larue produces 0.000" shortening, while cycling 5 times through my Palmetto produced about 0.003".

I do it as a matter of habit more than anything, but it's really only enough to get the case mouth poked into the cannelure just a little bit.

The mil-spec ammo is crimped because of the rough handling of the ammo in combat conditions. Being thrown around, slammed and the firing cycle of the gun. Most 3-gun competitions are not nearly as rough, however I do throw my stuff around in the heat of the moment. A little crimp on the bullet will insure it will not get pushed to deep into the brass. A little dab will do.

Everyone knows, or will at some point, someone that has a Boom and blows up a receiver on an AR when they have one piece of weak brass that won't hold the bullet tight enough with case tension and pushes the bullet back and overpressures the round. Hornady had a large batch that didn't get crimped and had the same problems in the past. There is a reason there is a cannalure on the bullets. Give it a light crimp on the cannualure and then don't worry about it. If you are running it in a bolt gun no problem, neck size away. I have had enough guys tell me when the receiver blows up next to their face it is a humbling experience and I don't want to experience it myself....

DougC

Everyone knows, or will at some point, someone that has a Boom and blows up a receiver on an AR when they have one piece of weak brass that won't hold the bullet tight enough with case tension and pushes the bullet back and overpressures the round. Hornady had a large batch that didn't get crimped and had the same problems in the past. There is a reason there is a cannalure on the bullets. Give it a light crimp on the cannualure and then don't worry about it. If you are running it in a bolt gun no problem, neck size away. I have had enough guys tell me when the receiver blows up next to their face it is a humbling experience and I don't want to experience it myself....

DougC

That's exactly why I give a light crimp but most people think I'm crazy.

DougC

That's exactly why I give a light crimp but most people think I'm crazy.

I do the same. 95% of the bullets I shoot are Hornady 55gr FMJBTs. Load to cannelure, light crimp, shoot right around an inch with little effort. A better shooter than me could probably get better groups. The bullets I shoot that do not have a cannelure, still get crimped, but I back it off even more.

No crimp for me. I used to but then I tried not doing it and my accuracy improved dramatically. No issues with set back. Case neck tension is what matters. Use a smaller expanding ball if its an issue. Crimping causes more problems and solves none.

DougC

Rifle KB's are caused by using the wrong powder or bore obstructions. Pushing the bullet back in a bottle neck case does not raise pressures like in a straight wall piston cases.

Pat

Pat, I have not had this happen to myself. I have been told by many knowledgeable people, including an armorer for a Nuke plant who had it happen to him, and a gunsmith that now works for the FBI rebuilding their guns. After looking at his face when he explained what and how it happened I believe both of them, and they found out it was the case mouth tension in the factory ammo they were shooting. A friend that loaded over a million rounds of .223 last year at his business will only load bullets that have a cannalure and crimps all the rounds as well. That is all I know.

DougC

Pat, I have not had this happen to myself. I have been told by many knowledgeable people, including an armorer for a Nuke plant who had it happen to him, and a gunsmith that now works for the FBI rebuilding their guns. After looking at his face when he explained what and how it happened I believe both of them, and they found out it was the case mouth tension in the factory ammo they were shooting. A friend that loaded over a million rounds of .223 last year at his business will only load bullets that have a cannalure and crimps all the rounds as well. That is all I know.

DougC

Doug there is no way they could know with a blown up gun. Most likely they were guessing. While I have not loaded a million rounds I have loaded thousands upon thousands as have many others on here.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo