Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting "fast"

Cundiff5535

Hello Enos, I am looking for help. I shoot often and well, but not fast. I am typically a stationary target shooter who likes to punch one ragged role in targets... I do not think this helps me much when it comes to competition shooting.

To be up front, I have not made the plunge/ever tried USPSA because I just am not sure I understand how actually do it. I read and watch videos and see guys rapid fire off rounds during their timed stage. I cant figure out if its awesome eye sight, really light loads, or what? I have tried to fire off a bunch of shots quickly and yeah... its no good.

Anyway have some thoughts or help for me?

As a side note, I shoot 1911's... both 45 and 9...

Anyway, looking for some help and advise!

The only way to learn is to try it! Put on a holster and shoot a match, with no mikes, no shoots or malfunctions you'll probably make it into the top half your first time :)

in all reality... I hope to try this summer. I have a shadow that I wouldn't mind putting through the paces. And you are probably right:)

I just have to take the time to get my butt in the car and drive to a match.

Couple of secrets - first the grip - different than for slow shooting. Watch the experts

shoot a .40 or .45, and you'll be amazed at how little the gun "recoils".

Trigger control is totally different - not a squeeze, squeeze, squeeze until it goes off

unexpectedly - have to compress the squeeze and make it go off 3-4 times/second

(have to be holding the gun properly).

Get some books on dry firing by Anderson, or anybody.

As Kneelingatlas mentioned - get your gun/holster/eye & ear protection, and go

shoot a match - SLOWLY. Resist the temptation to shoot as fast as the best

shooters - aim to hit each shot, and SAFETY FIRST.

Welcome to USPSA - Great Hobby. Good luck. :cheers:

Couple of secrets - first the grip - different than for slow shooting. Watch the experts

shoot a .40 or .45, and you'll be amazed at how little the gun "recoils".

Trigger control is totally different - not a squeeze, squeeze, squeeze until it goes off

unexpectedly - have to compress the squeeze and make it go off 3-4 times/second

(have to be holding the gun properly).

Get some books on dry firing by Anderson, or anybody.

As Kneelingatlas mentioned - get your gun/holster/eye & ear protection, and go

shoot a match - SLOWLY. Resist the temptation to shoot as fast as the best

shooters - aim to hit each shot, and SAFETY FIRST.

Welcome to USPSA - Great Hobby. Good luck. :cheers:

Never really looked at the "grip"... but I sure will:) I also asked about the light loads because, yes... it looks like there is no recoil... regardless of what caliber they are shooting. Ill have to look and read into that book/books.

Is there a link to a video that shows off this ("new" to me grip) I should be looking at? I shoot a thumbs forward grip and typically shoot in a weaver stance. I do not shoot traditional bullseye or hardball with one hand:)

Anyway, always good to learn more and evolve in shooting sports!

Edited by Cundiff5535

Search the files here at BE under shooting techniques - and read books.

BTW, same power loads can be softer shooting - e.g. typical 9mm loads

with 115 gr factory loads can feel much softer by going to a 147 grain

bullet and a "soft shooting powder", like N320.

Typically, at the same Power Factor, a heavy bullet with a fast powder

will feel softer.

But, the experts can shoot a full load .45 faster than I can shoot a powder

puff 9mm load - it's all in the grip. :cheers:

I would recommend starting out running some basic drills, with someone who has spent some time in USPSA. I do this, pretty much weekly. Real short, shoot and move drills.

One example only requires 3 targets and 2 barrels. Set the targets out to 10-12 yards, spaced about 3-5 yards apart. Use the barrels as an "A to B" location. From the buzzer, draw while standing behind barrel A and place 2 shots in each target. Then, while moving/changing mags, get to barrel B and repeat with 2 shots per target. All the while, minding one's safety fundamentals, and watch the 180.

In addition, any local steel challenge matches are also a very good way to start out. All static shooting. This provides great training for drawing from a holster, gathering a clean sight picture, trigger control, and target transition.

Hope this helps.

Probably the best thing to do before your first match is to meet up with a buddy who competes. Go to the range and setup a small 3 or 4 target stage. Have him walk you through every aspect... go over stuff like:

1) it's a cold range - put your belt/holster on at your car, but go to the safe table to put your gun in the holster.

2) load your mags before you get to your first stage

3) how to walk through the stage to get your plan

4) rehearse reloads during your walkthrough

5) go over the range commands: Make ready, Are you ready? Stand by... beep. Unload and show clear.

6) have him explain MULTIPLE TIMES about the 180!

7) don't worry about speed, just get the process down and be safe.

8) 2 shots on paper, knock down the steel, don't shoot the white targets, black portion of targets count as misses.

9) have fun :)

• 2 weeks later...

One of the most helpful things I learned was that sight alignment isn't that important. I always tried to have perfect sight alignment when I started then I found out on close targets if you see the front sight on it bang. Targets farther out as long as I had daylight on each side of the sight and its close to level, bang. The smaller targets out way out there take a little more time to get the alignment squared up. Try various distances with various precision of sighting to see what works for you.

Not softer loads.

Common misconception when people watch.

What you are seeing is in fact what happens when sound technique and due deligence is applied to gripping a gun and learning to shoot fast and accurately.

Go to a match. You will love it.

I searched for Youtube videos on Leatham's grip and other pro shooters' grips. It helped tremendously - I couldn't believe how much quicker I was back on target and firing the second shot after making one simple change. Look for Rob Leatham's and/or Brian Enos' grip style, which is what most competition shooters seem to be using these days.

The 9mm 1911 is an awesome gun to compete with. You would shoot in Single Stack, and while getting scored "minor" power factor, you gain the advantage of carrying 10 rounds instead of 8. The .45 would allow you 8 rounds of "major" power factor.

I shoot a 9mm 1911. It's my first gun but I chose it after trying everything else I could find. CZs are great, 1911s (IMO) are even better due to the longer sight picture and shorter, more direct trigger pull. Plus with a CZ (in Production) you end up having to start with the hammer down and firing the first shot double action. With the 1911 you start cocked and locked.

I showed up at a USPSA match after only owning a gun for a couple of weeks. I went to a steel match first which was really helpful. Just take your time, show up early and let them know you are new and the guys will help you out.

It is SO much more fun in person than you think it is watching videos. I started this past July or August and am hooked.

I would definitely just echo what has been said above, just get out there and shoot!

I don't know if anyone has explained the scoring to you yet, but when you see those guys blasting away at the targets super fast, you have to understand that a certain amount of error is more than acceptable in this game.

USPSA is based around "Hit Factor" scoring, which is essentially (Raw Points - Penalties accrued)/Total time. The traditional silhouette target has A, B, C, and D scoring zones. Shooting a minor power factor gun (such as your 9mm 1911), the points are rewarded as follows: 5, 3, 3, 1. With a major gun (like your 45) it would be 5, 4, 4, 2. Penalties (misses, hitting a no shoot target, procedural infractions, etc.) are in general -10 points.

So if you shoot a stage with 6 paper, 2 shots per target, then your score could look like this:

All alphas, which would be (5 points x 12 shots ) = 60 points, in 10 seconds. This gives you a Hit factor of 60/10 = 6.

OR you could shoot the same stage with 6 alphas and 6 charlie. That would be (5x6 + 3x6) = 48 points. If you did that in 8 seconds, then you would tie your hit factor from shooting it with all alphas ( (48/8) = 6).

So you have to weigh how fast you can go and get an "acceptable" number of points.

Edited by Gooldylocks

The only way to learn is to try it! Put on a holster and shoot a match, with no mikes, no shoots or malfunctions you'll probably make it into the top half your first time :)

in all reality... I hope to try this summer. I have a shadow that I wouldn't mind putting through the paces. And you are probably right:)

I just have to take the time to get my butt in the car and drive to a match.

Most anyone you speak to at these matches will help guide you so you will never be left wondering what is going on. Shooter are very friendly and always want to help out.. Good luck, the longer you wait the madder you will be that you didn't try it sooner.