Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a 45 1911 for SS. What's the best?

Superpipe9

I'm turning my s&w 1911 in 45 cal. Into a USPSA SS gun. What is the best parts to get? I would prefer to do it once and do it right!! Magwell, extending mag release and button, hammer, trigger kit, etc.... All suggestions are appreciated.

Lots of options, only you will know what's "right".

If it was my money

EGW ignition parts are popular

Dawson ICE magwell

If you get a trigger you like and the gun reloads easy...you're halfway home.

Don't forget quality Magazines. I carry Chip McCormick 10 rounders in my duty gun...don't know if they are legal in SS?

Then spend the time to make sure the gun runs 100%. All the trick stuff in the world is worthless if the gun doesn't run. ;)

Super, my recommendation is to use only billet or bar stock parts. If they don't specifically say billet or bar stock, don't use them.

You cannot go wrong with EGW parts, but bear in mind they leave a lot of material on external parts for blending. Example: their grip safety. If you buy the EGW part your will have a very substantial, beefy, machined from bar stock part that will last as long as the gun will. However, you will have to take quite a bit off the outide to blend it into the frame. If you want something that fits more closely, try their JEM grip safety. It is machined from bar stock as well, but it is made for JEM Enterprises in a STI style.

Ed Brown and Wilson both make billet/bar stock parts in their premium component lines. To save you fitting time, I'd suggest you stay with the same mfg. for mating parts. For instance. If you go with an STI GS and use an Ed brown MSH, you'll be taking a lot off the MSH to get it to work. I love the look of the Ed Brown MSH w/magwell, but the EGW set is more secure and will never come loose.

As far as fire control parts, EGW, Brazos Custom and cylinder an slide make great kits. You can make your life a little easier by going to Harrison Custom and buying one of their True Radius sears. That way you are guaranteed a good trigger pull, and the worst you'll have to do is true up the hammer notches if your frame is a tad out of spec. I learned the hard way that it almost always pays to use the best components.

Above +1

EGW ignition parts

Dawson Ice Magwell

Wilson mag release with extended button

you will have to round the extended button and make sure you don't hit it with your left hand. Unless

you have small to med hands then it will be fine

I have meat hooks so I have to make it smaller

Hello: Since I am playing around with my single stack setups right now I can suggest some parts to use. Dawson fiber front sight in width you like. Dawson Ice magwell steel mainspring for 45, Metalform Elite 45 mags(E-Bay), Dawson base pads for the Metalforms, Ed Brown extended mag release with button, EGW full length guide rod & plug, 14lb ISMI recoil spring, 17lb ISMI mainspring, EGW sear, EGW hammer, Extreme disconnector, Dawson sear spring, Ed Brown hammer strut, STI trigger in the length you like, favorite grips you like. Most of the parts can be bought at Shooters Connection. Thanks, Eric