Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new 550b problem

That big box was there when I got home from work today. Within about an hour I had it unpacked and bolted down to the bench I had been prepping for it. Went together pretty smooth, strong mount, bullet tray, empty case bin, all good.

But when I put in the shell plate and sprocket, it doesn't seem to rotate or index quite right. I double checked the spring and ball, and added a drop of oil, but no help. It seems to tighten up on 2 stations and loosen up on the other 2. Tight enough that I can't feel the ball drop in the detent for that station. Do I need to loosen it up more?

Only other thing I did was to change from the large primer setup to the small. Any ideas?

Help!!!!!

Thanks

bob

That big box was there when I got home from work today. Within about an hour I had it unpacked and bolted down to the bench I had been prepping for it. Went together pretty smooth, strong mount, bullet tray, empty case bin, all good.

But when I put in the shell plate and sprocket, it doesn't seem to rotate or index quite right. I double checked the spring and ball, and added a drop of oil, but no help. It seems to tighten up on 2 stations and loosen up on the other 2. Tight enough that I can't feel the ball drop in the detent for that station. Do I need to loosen it up more?

Only other thing I did was to change from the large primer setup to the small. Any ideas?

Help!!!!!

Thanks

bob

Just put my 550B together the other day. I had a problem a lot like this.

I had the shell plate in upside-down. I had the Dillon video and watched it carefully while I was putting it all together, but I'm afraid the Dillon video is a bit lacking in detail.

I thought the printed instructions that came with my 550B were most useful, I managed to get it going without much problem, and it illustrated how to switch from LP to SP...my first time wasn't speedy, but I did get it done, finally...

Mine does that also, but only on one station/part of the rotation. I would think loosening just a tiny bit would help. On mine, there seems to be a sweet spot where loosening it a tiny bit one way causes the shell plate to rock ever so much, but the other way it wants to tighten on that one spot of the rotation.

Edited by Erick85

I also had a problem with the cartridge case bin mount bumping the shell plate and stopping the rotation. The cartridge case bin mount entrance was too close to the shell plate. I fixed that by putting the empty case bin mount in-between the strong mount and the cartridge bin mount. That backed the cartridge bin mount off far enough to stop the bumping.

Edited by ChemistShooter

Got it. It was the loaded cartridge ejector wire, it was slightly rubbing on the indexing sprocket. I tapped it down just a hair and... nice smooth rotation.

I will also keep an eye on the case bin brackets and such.

Thanks for the help.

bob

Tighten the shell plate down just enough to feel the index. It will tighten up at this point as you rotate the plate.

Loosen a little and make sure you tighten the set screw under the shell plate holder located on the shaft.

On my new 550 one arm of the sprocket is slightly bend down, so it hits the ejecting wire slightly every fourth case. Not sure if I should attempt the straighten it myself, or ask Dillon for a replacement. Looks like zinc die cast, and I am not sure how well this can be straightened out.

• 2 weeks later...

The wire will move up or down.

On my new 550 one arm of the sprocket is slightly bend down, so it hits the ejecting wire slightly every fourth case. Not sure if I should attempt the straighten it myself, or ask Dillon for a replacement. Looks like zinc die cast, and I am not sure how well this can be straightened out.

Even with the wire in the lowest possible position, it hangs up every fourth round....

Can you post a picture? If its bent Dillon will replace it.

Even with the wire in the lowest possible position, it hangs up every fourth round....

Edited by tires2burn

Tighten the shell plate down just enough to feel the index. It will tighten up at this point as you rotate the plate.

Loosen a little and make sure you tighten the set screw under the shell plate holder located on the shaft.

Thats how I do it. Also if you run one case or no cases it acts funny, when full she runs smooth.

Dillon answered me back, and they say to try to straighten it out, i.e. bend back. If it breaks, they will replace it. Will work on it over the coming snow storm this weekend.

Here is a photo of the bend arm - see the bend arm on the left side of the picture, it is standing slightly up - the sprocket is upside down, so normally, the arm is bend down and hits the ejector wire. After the photo was taken, I was able to bend the arm back and it works now flawless.

post-54788-0-87596000-1453512664_thumb.j

I have bent and re-bent mine a several times. Especially when I pull the handle with it empty and not paying attention to the location of the shellplate. I have just bent it back. No issues so fare. . . . .