Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW: Walther Q5 Match - New awesome production guns showing up everywh

EngineerEli

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Didn´t find a comment about red dot options yet, might be I´ve overseen it, if so I´m sorry.

Can you talk me about red dot options?

I think Kim Hwansik runs a Delta Point?

I´m looking for a red dot for my getting older eyes.

It should have a wide glass area, being lightweight, low-mounted, parallax-free.

Thought about the Shield RMS, but don´t have experience with it.

And for IPSC: How big should the Dot be, accounting to my aging eyes?

I´m thankful for every opinion.

@jayjay1 ... On the first question the leading cantidate these days is the DeltaPoint Pro. I run one in 2.5MOA and love the thing.

That said, after two matches in carry optics I have a standard PPQ’s slide on the way to a machinist to mill the optic down into it. I strongly dislike how high dots ride on top of the Q5’s adapter plates, so it’ll be my Production gun from now on. Ironic.

The Shield optic is anything but equipped with a large window; that sucker is TINY.

Other options to look at would be the Cmore RTS 2, and the Viper & Venom from Vortex.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

8 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@jayjay1 ... On the first question the leading cantidate these days is the DeltaPoint Pro. I run one in 2.5MOA and love the thing.

That said, after two matches in carry optics I have a standard PPQ’s slide on the way to a machinist to mill the optic down into it. I strongly dislike how high dots ride on top of the Q5’s adapter plates, so it’ll be my Production gun from now on. Ironic.

The Shield optic is anything but equipped with a large window; that sucker is TINY.

Other options to look at would be the Cmore RTS 2, and the Viper & Venom from Vortex.

Hi MemphisMechanic,

thank you for taking the time.

I´m shooting IPSC on the old continent, if I would mill the slide I would be upgraded by the RO: "Welcome to Open!"   ?

That´s what makes the Shield RMS sexy, it has its own very thin adapter plate which is much lighter and lower as the original plates of the Q5.

So the DPP would ride HIGH on mine, no milling allowed.

It cost´s about 500 bucks here.

The C-More RTS 2 is at about the same price, I didn´t have it on my list till now, thanks for that.

Vortex Venom and Viper are running about 280 bucks over here, if you can get one, which is not that easy.

Are all of them compatible with the adapter plates of the Q5?

I will do some further research about these Dots, thanks again.

If you are only going to shoot one gun, the high ride of the DPP on a Q5 isn’t a problem.

On top of an adapter plate, *every* red dot sits high enough that you need to re-learn your index: on the draw you have to drop the gun in front of your eye 2 cm in order to find the dot.

It’s not a big deal, but I want my gun milled since it is legal here, and lets me switch back to my iron-sighted guns more smoothly.

Matt1, thanks I listened it.

MemphisMechanic:

Well, I´m about to shoot only one pistol with red dot now.

But I do shoot some pistol with irons on it also.

Will this be a problem, switching forth and back from irons to red dot?

• 2 weeks later...

MemphisMechanic,

In an earlier post you say you've been running 13# since day one.  But, in a later post, you say you've settled on 15#.  See page 15 of this thread.  Did you change or is that a typo?

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jaep1911 said:

Just installed a Sprinco trigger spring kit. I do not have a fancy pull gauge but the pull seems to have gone down by a pound. The trigger return is still positive. I like it.

Nice!! Must be new?

I went with the home depot spring pack and misc spring for the firing pin safety plunger. Of course a little polishing helps..

Has a nice reset like a 2lb cz trigger.

IMG_20180316_190020.jpg

19 hours ago, je85 said:

Nice!! Must be new?

I went with the home depot spring pack and misc spring for the firing pin safety plunger. Of course a little polishing helps..

Has a nice reset like a 2lb cz trigger.

IMG_20180316_190020.jpg

It is not new. has been around for some time. I shot with it today and liked it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2018 at 5:31 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

I’ve been running a 13lb Wilson 1911 spring in my Q5 since the day I set it up for matches and never had an issue with it.

13 feels light as far as “stay in battery” force, when you first install and test it by hand. For sure. But it feels no weaker than an M&P or Glock with the same spring.

And all three run fine with it in my experience, when fed good ammo.

Memphis, what guide rod are you running/ Couldn't find the info looking back.......

I went with a Jager 

Gen 4 Uncaptured Hardened Steel Guide Rod Heavy Extended G34/G35

http://jagerproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=114&zenid=eavbe3ocv9d0j8tke0lq8fa194

The dimensions are perfect.

The washer that comes with it wont work. I used a stainless washer. 

13lb spring works but if worried go with 14lb.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2018 at 6:00 PM, je85 said:

I went with a Jager 

Gen 4 Uncaptured Hardened Steel Guide Rod Heavy Extended G34/G35

http://jagerproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=114&zenid=eavbe3ocv9d0j8tke0lq8fa194

The dimensions are perfect.

The washer that comes with it wont work. I used a stainless washer. 

13lb spring works but if worried go with 14lb.

What 13lb spring were you running with this? Aftermarket flat wire springs like the IMSI won’t fit a rod that fat.

Edited by MemphisMechanic