Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cold weather shooting - any tips?

MilkMyDuds

I have noticed in training that during cold weathers my muscles tend to react and move much slower than in Summer. Especially the fingers. For example, Bill Drill I could only manage 2.0 sec in Winter vs. 1.8 in Summer.

I guess a hand warmer would help. What other tips do you have to improve performance in cold weather shooting?

I have noticed in training that during cold weathers my muscles tend to react and move much slower than in Summer. Especially the fingers. For example, Bill Drill I could only manage 2.0 sec in Winter vs. 1.8 in Summer.

I guess a hand warmer would help. What other tips do you have to improve performance in cold weather shooting?

Cold weather in Texas....are you serious.... :roflol::devil:

We have been shooting matches at 30-40 degrees weather for a few times. I did live in Wisconsin for 10 years but I just started shooting a year ago so I did not know if people shoot outdoors during Winter up there. :)

I shoot in the PNW and have been in a couple of competitions in cold (mid-20's) as well as wet (constant rain).

What works for me is to have a couple of sets of the cheap Mechanix gloves (so that they can be changed out if wet) that I wear whiel shooting and zippo lighter fluid based hand warmers. I prefer the lighter fluid ones as they are 1) more consistent heat throughtout the comp; and 2) the disposable types are not consistent from one package to the next.

We have been shooting matches at 30-40 degrees weather for a few times. I did live in Wisconsin for 10 years but I just started shooting a year ago so I did not know if people shoot outdoors during Winter up there. :)

I thought you said 'cold weather'. that sounds pretty pleasant unless it's rainy and windy.

we have matches all winter here in idaho, and single digits or teens is not unusual in december and january. As you can tell from my avatar, I have limited supplies of insulation, so I wear a LOT of clothing, and I keep handwarmers in my jacket pocket. I'm definitely a little slower in the winter, but so is everyone else, so it's all good.

Winter temps in Central Alabama can be all over the place, and can vary greatly during the day.

I'm a Yankee by birth, lived in WI for a while, and have excellent cold weather gear. I don't have any insulation to speak of, hate being cold, and shoot much better when I'm warm and toasty.

The good news is that there are TONS of inexpensive, quality synthetic clothing options available. For example, Costco has a never-ending stream of stuff for $20+/-.

Wear quality, thin thermal pants/shirt to keep core temperature up. Wear multiple thin layers on top, and shed them as the day warms up. Wear a warm hat in the AM, switch as the day warms up. A thin tightly fit synthetic hoodie with a hat is even better, keeps wind off the neck. I'd rather be a little too warm than cold and slow.

A zip up overjacket that is easily removed to shoot can help keep you toasty when not shooting, but I can't abide bulky clothing WHILE shooting.

Gloves can be a pain when pasting. On some stages you could wear gloves and set steel instead.

Handwarmers can help but are not a solution. I usually have my fingers warming on my neck while I'm on deck.

Wear thicker socks and don't run your shoes as tight - excess compression impedes blood flow to the feet.

Edited by Beastly

Start prepping the night before the match with some heavy carbs (pasta, and some lean protein... don't load on carbs without the protein). A solid breakfast with protein (ham, bacon, sausage) and some carbs (potatoes, pancakes, whole wheat toast).... is good. Those internal calories provide fuel and warmth for the body.

A heavy jacket and gloves when not shooting. A couple of pocket hand warmers are good in the jacket. Stay warm. You only have to shed that gear for 15-30 seconds, and if you have properly prepped you won't notice the cold.

Also, don't neglect water. Folks know to drink when it's hot, but you can dehydrate skiing in the snow. Even minor dehydration impedes performance.

Fuel up before the match... stay warm during it... and stay hydrated. Fruit (fresh or dried) is also a great way to grab some 'energy increase' during a match. Take care of your body and it will take care of you.

Frigid weather is only an obstacle if you allow it to be.

Motosapiens... sorry you feel that Floridians are something that you can't put up with. Considering that most "Floridians" came from somewhere else, there really isn't a "Floridian". But, when it comes to ranges, shooting games, and scheduling, it's one of the most "shooter friendly" states on the planet. I can drive less than 1.5 hours from my home and shoot Steel Challenge, USPSA, IDPA, Cowboy Action and 3 Gun Carbine on more weekend days than there are in the month. Try that in Utah.

The biggest problem for Florida match schedulers is in picking days when other nearby matches aren't being held.

As for humidity, you get used to it. As for cockroaches, they make these spray cans that aren't expensive and kill them just as dead as a 9mm JHP... but without the mess.

And, if you like to fish.... there isn't a better state. BTDT... spent 15 years as a fishing guide. Life was good and there were plenty of fish.

But, if you're happy in Utahr, then life is good for you. But, having been there, I'll stay in FL.

move to Florida

screw that. I'd happily put up with another month or two of cold temps rather than cockroaches, humidity and floridians.
I'm with you on that.

Suffer in the winter, or suffer in the summer.

Your choice. :cheers:

why should it be suffering? winter is when I homebrew, play hockey, go to semi-pro hockey games, ski, get ahead on reloading, do assloads of dryfire, and catch up on rest and relaxation. If it was the same season all the time I would never get to do that stuff.

Motosapiens... sorry you feel that Floridians are something that you can't put up with. Considering that most "Floridians" came from somewhere else, there really isn't a "Floridian". But, when it comes to ranges, shooting games, and scheduling, it's one of the most "shooter friendly" states on the planet. I can drive less than 1.5 hours from my home and shoot Steel Challenge, USPSA, IDPA, Cowboy Action and 3 Gun Carbine on more weekend days than there are in the month. Try that in Utah.

Well, I live in idaho, but I think they have matches in utah too. I've been to some nationals there. For sure if you like ocean fishing florida is probably great, and when I'm busting on floridians, I don't mean you guys, but more of the crowds, old people, gangbangers, etc....

I don't shoot 3 gun, but we have 3 uspsa matches a month within 45 mins, and steel challenge mon-wed for 6 months out of the year, and IDPA 2 weekends a month. If I want to drive 90-120 minutes (i rarely do) there are 3 more uspsa matches a month. Way more shooting than I could ever actually get to.

And I would never get used to the humidity. Or the cockroaches.

Crack open those hand warmers before you leave the house. Place them on your dash and run your windshield defroster while driving to the range. By the time you get there, they are 100% ready to use. Also, instead of keeping them in the palm of your hand, in your pocket, etc. place them on the inside of your wrist. I do this by placing it at the end of my long sleeve compression shirt.

The biggest problem for Florida match schedulers is in picking days when other nearby matches aren't being held.

As for humidity, you get used to it. As for cockroaches, they make these spray cans that aren't expensive and kill them just as dead as a 9mm JHP... but without the mess.

And, if you like to fish.... there isn't a better state. BTDT... spent 15 years as a fishing guide. Life was good and there were plenty of fish.

But, if you're happy in Utahr, then life is good for you. But, having been there, I'll stay in FL.

There is an opportunity to shoot a match every weekend here in Utah. Call us crazy but rain, snow or shine we are out there put holes in paper.

Dressing in a bunch of thin layers that can be easily removed, like mentioned before, is your best bet. When shooting take off the restrictive clothing and shoot. Afterwards put your heavier/warmer clothing. As far as it goes for me, I would rather be on the colder side because once you start to sweat and your clothes absorb the sweat, becoming cold is very easy. So once you feel remotely warm, start removing layers so as not to sweat.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

move to Florida

screw that. I'd happily put up with another month or two of cold temps rather than cockroaches, humidity and floridians.

I'm with you on that.

I always get a chuckle out of folks who live in a climate where for some significant part of the year you die if you go outside and don't dress appropriately and watch them make fun of places where it's 85+ in the summer and humid and claim how horrible the weather is there ...

move to Florida

I'm with you on that.

I always get a chuckle out of folks who live in a climate where for some significant part of the year you die if you go outside and don't dress appropriately and watch them make fun of places where it's 85+ in the summer and humid and claim how horrible the weather is there ...

I'm not making fun, just saying I couldn't stand it and wouldn't live there. If other people like it, good for them.

I spent 2 weeks at the federal LE training center in georgia in january and the humidity almost killed me.

Sure living in the more northerly climes requires more technology and civilization, but that's why the world's dominant technologies and civilizations came from northerly climes. :cheers:

A whole 2 weeks .... :) ...

I also heard somewhere that air conditioning is probably considered technology .... As well as the solar PV system on my roof which takes advantage of year round sun and provides all the electricity for my house