Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's a good 230gr load?

Superpipe9

My favorite load for the 45 230 is 6 grains of Unique coated or anything else. I've found for about 5 bucks more per 500 I can buy plated and in the 45 you are usually pushing it between 800 and 900 fps which is well below max on plated stuff. I'm using the coated bullets in a lot of calibers now though. No smoke and accurate.

My favorite is 3.7 of Clays at 1.250 but Clays is hard to find / get if you don't already have it

Try WST also its great in the 45

I don't care for TG in the 45 but that's just one mans opinion

Tried all powders. My best load is with clays 3.8gr OAL 1.25 is perfect. Clays is all I use now for 45. Well stocked up with it do I guess I lucky. And I am using bayou bullets 230gr rnd nose. Only billet I use in my 45s

Edited by Dirtchevy841

• 2 weeks later...

I use 4.3 grains of WST at 1.250" over a 230gr Bayou. Very good accuracy for me and a nice, comfortable recoil impulse. I tried 4.2 grains, but for some reason, didn't give me the same accuracy (this is out of both my G21 and G30).

Ramshot Competition is such an under rated powder. Meters well, cheap, super clean, runs cool, and light recoil. I like it better than Clays, WST, Titegroup, e3, and Bullseye. It seems like WST on steroids.

4.2 grains under an SNS 230 grain with and OAL of 1.250 gives me 175+ PF out of a Trojan.

I started using Titewad and have been very impressed. And its cheap.

I've seen TW around the LGS but never any load data for pistols anywhere, seems like even on the threads here on Benos

What kind of consistency are you getting on your chrono as far as ES and SD with Titewad?

I started using Titewad and have been very impressed. And its cheap.

I've seen TW around the LGS but never any load data for pistols anywhere, seems like even on the threads here on Benos

What kind of consistency are you getting on your chrono as far as ES and SD with Titewad?

I will try and remember to see if I can find the last chrono run. It was fairly consistent and made power factor at around 3.4 grains under a 230 Grain plated xtreme out of a Kimber SSII. from the site:

Hodgdon

PowderTitewad
Bullet Diameter.452"
C.O.L.1.200"
Starting Load
Grains 2.8
Velocity (ft/s)684
Pressure14,700 PSI
Maximum Load
Grains 3.3
Velocity (ft/s)767
Pressure19,400 PSI
I am going to try it in 9mm 124 next.

I second mannparks and bfalcon00 in their use of RedDot. I haven't run any plated projectiles through my 1911A1, but Red Dot/Promo has worked well with EVERY projectile I've shot through the piece. I suspect we're not as "off the beaten path" as we might initially believe. More than a couple high-volume shot-gunners who use Red Dot/Promo in their pistols as well as their shotguns have told me they prefer it to Bull'sEye. Less "peaky" and seems to burn cleaner.

Original 230gr hardball specs was 5gr Bullseye for 850 fps +-25 fps. Accurate but dirty. And yegads the smoke!

A great many powders work very well for 230gr 45acp, best accuracy will usually be 800-820 fps.

4.8 WST , 5.4 - 5.7 W231 , 4.8 - 5.0 Titegroup , 5.0 - 5.2 VVN320 , 4.6 - 4.8 Bullseye , 4.7 700X. I prefer W231 and WST, they meter well, burn clean and are very accurate. I also like E3 a lot when I can get my hands on it.

Crap, I said E3 out loud. So here comes the warning: I'd be careful with the E3, especially in a progressive press. Flakes don't meter as well as ball powders and there's no published pistol data - stay away unless you know what you're doing. If you do know what you're doing, E3 is accurate, very clean and feels much softer on the hand than what the chrono says you should be feeling. You only need a tiny amount too (3.5gr), so that's nice. But there is no official load data so I can't recommend this powder. At all! I super duper wouldn't try it in any high pressure cartridge. But it's awesome for 45's.

ABSOCOLD, I'm REELING from your signature line! Like you, I don't advocate using E3 where not recommended, but I've also seen data for it in 9mm:

http://reloadersnest.com/detail_handgun.asp?CaliberID=6&Powder=Alliant+e3&LoadID=598

That load in the link sounds QUITE warm to me, and I wouldn't go that high, but 10% less might be a not-half-bad minor load. I know you're using E3 in .45, so I'm mainly just thinking aloud, here.

The reason Alliant won't publish any pistol data for E3 is because they've found that as the pressure goes up there's too much of a chance of big pressure spikes. It works great in the low pressure .45acp if you're careful but trying it in something hotter like 9mm seems risky to me.