Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115gr versus 124gr?

RickT

I've moved down from 147gr in our 9mm 1911s (near stock). No PF to worry about in SC. I've started out with 115gr coated NLG and VV N320 which is pretty nice shooting at the bottom end of the load range or just slightly below. SC doesn't demand bullseye accuracy, but there appears to be an interweb consensus that 124TCG might be the most accurate of the coated bullet choices. I'be put some together, but haven't sent enough downrange to perceive a recoil difference between the two bullet weights and I'm a lousy bench rest shooter. Experienced-based thoughts anyone?

The difference between 115 and 147 is huge. The difference between 115 and 124 is more suttle yet still very real. Of course you want to download them from 115 loads. I think if you run some nice soft 124's for a thousand rounds or so you will certainly know the difference if you try some 115's again.

, but there appears to be an interweb consensus that 124TCG might be the most accurate of the coated bullet choices.

I would agree with that. Tried some 115 Bayous and found the 124 TCs to be slightly more accurate in my guns, G17's with hand fitted BarSto barrels. No noticeable difference in POA/POI or recoil. But then I run the 124s to a 145 floor. Have you looked at 95/105's?

, but there appears to be an interweb consensus that 124TCG might be the most accurate of the coated bullet choices.

......Have you looked at 95/105's?

Well, then I'd probably have to go to N310 and I have a bunch of N320,, but I'll try anything. One of my thoughts on the 124 is that I'm trying to run as soft as I can. With N320 behind the 115gr coated I'm getting inconsistent results when only slightly below book. In all candor I tried a new lube, first time at a match, and it was a disaster. I'm also dealing with three different SA 9mm 1911s and they don't all react to soft loads the same way. Right now 3.8gr and 3.9gr are running fine and the 124gr TCG is an experiment and originally intended to use up a few thousand that I have sitting around; I holding on to the thought that somehow the 124gr might allow a relative softer shooting round at sub-PF loads.

Truth is all these rounds are soft and the only time we have to double-tap is on a called miss, but my wife of 40+ years wants the softest shooting load possible consistent with 100% reliability and I aim to please :)