Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How large of a dot do you prefer for Steel Challenge?

AzShooter

I just put together my revolver for Steel Challenge with a Fast Fire III Red Dot. Today I shot an ICORE match with it and found that the dot was good for accuracy work but was too small for quick shots and washed out a bit in the sun.

I have an 8 minute dot on my C-More. This is much easier to track with and when the dot is on the edge of the target moving to the center I can pull the trigger and know I will hit it.

What size dot do you all like and what benefits do you find?

I run FFIII 8mm dots on all of my pistols, except the Limited. Much better for action shooting than the 3mm. I previously shot a 12mm, but didn't like it for small, distant targets.

I used 6-8 MOA dots on my C-Mores for years and finally decided to go bigger after my teammate had been beating me up for not trying it for years. Never looked back. All 4 of my C-Mores have either 12 or 16 MOA dots now and I will not go smaller. My one FF3 has the max of 8 MOA on that (S&W 986) and the RMR on my G34 has a 9 MOA green dot. I prefer green when I can get them because the color is better than red on very bright days. Heck Mike and I both use 16 MOA dots in bowling pin matches with rimfires. I tried one year going with a smaller 4 MOA dot on my Buckmark in the PSA Rimfire Challenge because of the 1-2" knothole biathalon targets they used, but shot worse with the smaller dot so I switched back to 16 MOA. As long as your POI is covered by the 16 MOA dot you going to hit any target that is the size of the dot or larger. And since I seldom ever shoot beyond 40 yards a 16 MOA dot covers about 6" at that distance and everything I shoot is at least 8" in diameter and usually 10-12".

Edited by photoracer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...