Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AlphaCharis' PewPew Life

AlphaCharis

5 hours ago, DukeEB said:

Yay!  Time for a big girl gun :) Glad you had fun out there.  Looked like a whole lot of running.

Here was the spinner at the end of the run when I almost messed up the turn on the spinner but had a fortunate need to rack the slide that saved me.  

"UNLOAD and show clear!  UNLOAD and show clear!!"  "..... Don't shoot!!"

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I DON'T SUCK AS BAD AS I THOUGHT

#ammodrama #area1stress

So.... I've been frustrated this year and down on myself, didn't know what was wrong with me and why I "couldn't aim" anymore.  Had a horrible match the Sunday before Area 1, got no-shoots and mikes like never before.  I thought I was calling my hits, but then there would be surprise no-shoots and mikes.  I was so confused and depressed that I sucked so bad and have had no confidence in my shooting at all lately. 

Next day, Monday afternoon, I decided to chrono my ammo at a friend's house to make sure it was still good to go for Area 1 and then practice the following day.  Tuesday afternoon:  Since there was a Tuesday evening match, I showed up a few hours early to shoot some groups and get my trigger under control and learn to aim again.  I had been doing long distance trigger work at home in dryfire, but guessed it hadn't been helping.  Results from my session were good and bad.  BAD NEWS:  turns out... my bullets were tumbling past 7 yards.  GOOD NEWS:  this whole time.. it wasn't me!!  The group at 25 yards was around 18 inches and random.  Wednesday morning:  Pulled my bullets to check the crimp, my crimp die was maladjusted and over-crimping my bullets.  Backed off the crimp completely, made sure the bell was just smoothed out, tested, still not as accurate as I would like.  Super stressed lol  Wednesday afternoon:  bought Federal factory ammunition.  According to the velocity on the box, it should make around 129-130 PF.  Wednesday evening:  Tested factory ammo.  Ran fine, acceptable accuracy.  Crossed fingers PF would be fine for chrono at Area!  Thursday 4:45 AM:  Wake up to travel to Montana for the championship.  Chrono:  128.6 PF     

Area 1 Championship Missoula, Montana

Production:  12th Place, 75.83%

3rd A Class  

Haven't seriously sat down, yet, to analyze my stages.  What I do know is that (1) I have gotten into the habit, again, of not calling my last shot of an array and rushing off it/starting to look at next target before I'm done with the one I'm shooting.  Call all my shots.  Stop rushing.  (2) Need to be confident.  Know what I can do and be confident I called a shot correctly.  Know how fast I can do something.  I've been over-aimed the past few months since things were not going where I wanted them to and thought it was me.  (3) Let go of mistakes right away and don't even think about it.  Stage 7:  Smokejumpers, I let a few minor things in the very beginning frazzle me throughout the entire stage.  I ended up rushing off two different targets, last on both arrays, and got two mikes.  What could have easily been two alphas with basically no more time added resulting in an 84.41% stage, was a 67.30% with the mikes.  Got a lot of mental game work to do.

Match video stages in order that I shot them  --  Day 1:  Stages 12, 7-11   |   Day 2:  Stages 6, 1-5

Edited by AlphaCharis
Added stage order

Matches March-Present

Just looking back at the past few months of matches, seeing what I need to focus on in dryfire this month, besides "everything".  Links are ones I hadn't reviewed in my journal.  *no match video, yet

3/4/18  USPSA Shelton - Production Win (journal)

3/11/18 USPSA Paul Bunyan - 6th Production

3/18/18 CRO Class in Bend, OR* (clip in journal)

4/7-8/18 Berry's Steel Open*

4/15/18 USPSA Marysville - 2nd Production (journal)

4/17/18 USPSA Mt. Rainier Shadow - 2nd Production (journal)

4/22/18 USPSA Renton - 3rd Production

4/28/18 IDPA - 4th CDP, 15th Overall of 46    First time shooting the 1911 Kimber .45.  Practice for the 1911 Hawtech Match in Parma, Idaho 

4/29/18 USPSA Paul Bunyan - Production Win

5/1/18 USPSA Mt. Rainier Shadow - 2nd Production

5/5/18 2018 HawkTech Arms 1911 Classic Parma, Idaho - 27th Overall of 71*

5/6/18 USPSA Nampa, Idaho - Production Win

5/12/18 USPSA Paul Bunyan - 10th Production*

5/13/18 USPSA Paul Bunyan - 7th Production*

5/15/18 USPSA Mt. Rainier Shadow - Production Win (15/35)*

5/19-20/18 USPSA Area 1 Championship - 12 Production of 60, 3rd A Class (journal)

Edited by AlphaCharis
Added link to another match

5/27/18   USPSA Renton - 3rd Production, 72.34%

Little sloppy on hits at the match, but my movement seemed to be better, so I wasn't totally bummed.  Had some weird mistakes on basically every stage.

All my percentages are % of Hwansik since he had all the stage wins (except for my win on stage 3):

Stage 1, 2nd, 64.58%:  Had a weird stovepipe and had to strip the mag, cost me a lot of time.  30A, 1B, and a stupid mike into the hardcover from transitioning off the front target on the rightmost position.  Also, since not feeling confident, threw an unneeded pickup on the partial after the first two plates on the star for 3A on it.  Horrible last reload.

Stage 2, 4th, 68.38%:  Horrible reload, just aimed center of brown on head, all charlies.  All alphas on torsos. 6A, 6C

Stage 3, 1st, 100%:  Stage win.  Had trigger freeze at the end and a little slow on last reload and last few transitions between targets.  26A, 5C, 1D

Stage 4, 4th, 76,79%:  Turn and draw was fine... I didn't draw early! :) Should have gotten low and started backing up right away and AIMED, nicked the perf on the noshoot (barely!).  Looks like I was totally over-aiming on the last array of targets, I think I was worried because I was disappointed in "so many charlies."  24A, 4C, 1NS.  Need to stop thinking and just shoot.  Without the NS would have been 83.08%

Stage 5 - 12th, 52.34%:  UUUGH.  I screamed because I wasn't completely 100% positive on my second hit, but already started running.  I'm usually cautious/non confident on swingers and hit them extra for good measure.  Then I started laughing because I had screamed so loud and basically laughed through the rest of the stage.  Then had trigger freeze twice and a light strike.  BUT... I think I could have rocked this stage if I had just kept my mouth shut after the initial scream!  dang it  REDO!  17A, 5C, 1D, 1M

Stage 6 - 4th, 68.09%:  Fumbled my mag, wasn't too bad in grabbing another.  I think I need to tighten my belt a lot more so I can grab my mags with NO movement.24A, 7C

Stage 7 - 6th - 68.87%:  Last stage was a mess.  I may have drank too much Red Bull, my shooting was... erratic.  Started out fine, but then in the port I thought I had another light strike, but it was just trigger freeze (again!).  I had 5-6 TRIGGER FREEZE moments in this match, which was really weird.  Last year around this same time I had a problem with trigger freeze as well for a few months.  22A, 7C, 1D  

6/4/18

IPSC Nationals & NEW GUN!!

#NoMoreMcRib???

So..... I signed up for IPSC Nats in July.

But... I can't shoot my XDm in the Production division

And... I had to buy a new gun which I haven't even shot in a match, yet, because it is coming TODAY!!

I know... This is super bad timing!  I have Oregon State Championship in TWO WEEKS and IPSC Nationals in FIVE WEEKS, and I haven't shot the double/single action trigger before (in a match).  I have to dryfire the crap out of this gun and get as much livefire as possible, and get used to the double action and the heavier trigger.  My XDm is like... 2lbs.  I'm not sure what this will be, but I ordered an 11 lb recoil and 13 lb mainspring, so we'll see how well the almost-completely-stock-everything-no-polishing-at-all trigger will be.  NERVOUS! and excited :)    

OH... I already got:  my new holster and hanger from BSPS; some Mecgar mags (so, I'll have like 7 of them since I'll probably be abandoning my trusty McRib for USPSA Production); my springs; I already had a spare belt for the few times I shot Open; a magnet I can actually use now!, and I think I'll try out my Ghost pouches for my belt, but also might just use my current setup, not sure yet... I'll see how it feels when I set up my belt tonight.  And... I might shoot Limited minor with 15 rounds to get used to the IPSC Production capacity.

Edited by AlphaCharis
Added gear I acquired already

Is the reason you are switching to a DA/SA gun because of the trigger mods and pull weight on your XDm? If so, why not put the stock trigger parts back in it and produce a 5lb pull on it? Having a 5lb pull on your existing XDm would be a hell of a lot easier to get used to in your short time line verses switching to a whole different platform.

5 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Is the reason you are switching to a DA/SA gun because of the trigger mods and pull weight on your XDm? If so, why not put the stock trigger parts back in it and produce a 5lb pull on it? Having a 5lb pull on your existing XDm would be a hell of a lot easier to get used to in your short time line verses switching to a whole different platform.

You can't use the XDm at all in IPSC Production, or the Glock 34 - which are the two guns I have.  So I needed to get a new gun, so just went for one I would use in USPSA Production, too.  Plus... I don't think I would enjoy a 5 lb trigger coming from 2 lbs.

Just now, CHA-LEE said:

Its a bummer that your current blasters are not IPSC legal in production. Good luck with the new DA/SA blaster!!!

Yeah, 5" is the max barrel length in Prod.  Thanks!  It was a good excuse to get the Shadow 2, I guess.  I did shoot it at Iron Sights last year on the side stage and liked it.... hopefully I'll get used to it quickly!

1 minute ago, AlphaCharis said:

Yeah, I have the 5.25.  I got the CZ Shadow 2, the blue grips.  I might buy some more aggressive grips, though.

Keep us posted on the transition. When I shot production, I shot a xdm 4.5 9, currently shoot a 5.25 .40 in Limited. Considering a move to Tanfo/ CZ next year. In addition to DA first shot, you’ll need to de-cock at make ready. If you go back to Limited after nationals, you can apply the safety and start SA. That needs to be practiced too.

1 minute ago, Mcfoto said:

Keep us posted on the transition. When I shot production, I shot a xdm 4.5 9, currently shoot a 5.25 .40 in Limited. Considering a move to Tanfo/ CZ next year. In addition to DA first shot, you’ll need to de-cock at make ready. If you go back to Limited after nationals, you can apply the safety and start SA. That needs to be practiced too.

Yeah, I will definitely put updates on it.  I'll be staying in Production with it, just shooting in Limited minor at the locals this next month to get ready for IPSC Nats.  Yeah, the decocking thing is weird to me! LOL   I shot Gooldylocks' Accushadow a few months ago and had to decock it... I was like, "What if it fires?!"

On 6/4/2018 at 5:06 PM, AlphaCharis said:

You can't use the XDm at all in IPSC Production, or the Glock 34 - which are the two guns I have.  So I needed to get a new gun, so just went for one I would use in USPSA Production, too.  Plus... I don't think I would enjoy a 5 lb trigger coming from 2 lbs.

You might be surprised. Like Hwansik, I shoot a bone stock Q5 Match which has a 5 pound trigger.

Once you’re well practice you need a light trigger in a plastic gun a lot less than you think.

(Sevigny ran a nasty gritty stock G34 trigger back when he was Glock captain and winning everything too; I dryfired his match gun. It was impressively factory.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 6/5/2018 at 10:43 AM, Liftedranger said:

Whats your practice schedule like now.  I notice you shoot a lot of matches?  Is that your practice?  

The closest range is 1hr 15min away so I pretty much never livefire practice.  The only livefire I get is matches. 

I am nearly not disciplined enough..... I go through spells of dryfiring 5 days a week, then I erroneously think it's not helping because "I still suck", or I think that dryfire is making me worse for some reason and "take a break."  All of a sudden I haven't dryfired for 2-3 weeks, and then start dryfiring again.... it's a horrible cycle that I need to break.  BUT.... this last year has been way better than the past because I used to never dryfire at all.  I have a lot of my dryfire in my journal, but I didn't put all my sessions in the last few months.  I'm starting my schedule back up today - minimum of 15 minutes, 5 days/week.  My problem is that I like to see results "right away," so I just need to learn to be patient and keep practicing whether it looks like there are results or not.    

21 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You might be surprised. Like Hwansik, I shoot a bone stock Q5 Match which has a 5 pound trigger.

Once you’re well practice you need a light trigger in a plastic gun a lot less than you think.

(Sevigny ran a nasty gritty stock G34 trigger back when he was Glock captain and winning everything too; I dryfired his match gun. It was impressively factory.)

A light trigger feels so nice though :)  

14 minutes ago, AlphaCharis said:

I am nearly not disciplined enough..... I go through spells of dryfiring 5 days a week, then I erroneously think it's not helping because "I still suck", or I think that dryfire is making me worse for some reason and "take a break."  All of a sudden I haven't dryfired for 2-3 weeks, and then start dryfiring again.... it's a horrible cycle that I need to break.

Whether you think you can or you can’t , you’re right. Positive Mental Attitude. Get the negative self image out of practice and matches and I guarantee if you focus on the positive aspect of the shooter you want to become, it will manifest. 

3 hours ago, HoMiE said:

Whether you think you can or you can’t , you’re right. Positive Mental Attitude. Get the negative self image out of practice and matches and I guarantee if you focus on the positive aspect of the shooter you want to become, it will manifest. 

Yeah..... that's hard for me, I've been tryyyyying... *insert Yoda quote here* hehe   I think CHA-LEE accurately assessed the reason I also talk too much while shooting - because I'm judging myself and my mistake instantly - I really need to do that after the match is done.  I know I can and *will* (eventually) do something, I just constantly get sidetracked on the way there.  Maybe I will reread Lanny Basham's book so I can remind myself to be more positive.  Thanks for the comment :) a positive outlook really does help

6/6/18

Got my Shadow 2 yesterday!!  Shot a match with it!!

Picked up my gun yesterday (finally!) and went straight to the range.  @NickBlasta put the new springs in for me - 11 lb recoil, 11 lb mainspring and we test fired it before the match.  It was zeroed and I was really happy with its accuracy.

My first two stages were really rough.  My first shot I pulled it into the hardcover on the double action pull, and had a pickup shot.  All my splits the entire first stage felt incredibly SLOW.  It felt horrible.  When scoring, my alphas were like an inch apart and I had 1 charlie, 25 alpha, but was slow.  Also.... I was so preoccupied with shooting the gun for the first time, I totally missed an entire target!  ugh  Oh well.  I was missing my XDm HARD after the first stage LOL  

Dryfired the double action a bunch at the safety table and was starting to get the hang of it.  The single action pull felt "sloppier" than mine and about a pound heavier.  It will take some getting used to.  Below is the last stage of the match, I was starting to get the hang of the timing, but the double action trigger added like a second to my first shot LOL   ALSO... using totally different mag pouches than I'm used to.  I'm using Ghost pouches on this belt instead of the usual Double Alpha.  

I measured the trigger weights today.  XDm:  2.25 lbs.  It was kinda hard to get the S2 because of the shape of the trigger, especially in DA, but seemed to be S2:  3.5 lb SA / 5.5-6 DA.  Also, the trigger on my XDm didn't really have any play in it, so that's another thing I need to get used to with the S2. 

Edited by AlphaCharis
Using new pouches, too

6/6/18  #dryfire    

Okay, I did a lot of double action trigger pulls tonight, getting a feel for it.  Then about 20 minutes of dryfire familiarizing myself with the gun some more. At @MemphisMechanic suggestion, I taped down the hammer to the beavertail for my dryfire.  I had forgotten it'd be a double action pull otherwise.  Draws, reloads, El Prez, 90 degree transitions.  The gun is heavier, but I don't know how much that effects transitions really.  It feels like I'm acclimating well to the added weight.  I kinda like drawing it, feels like when you pull it out of the holster, the weight, like - "helps" it up the rest of the way to eye level.  I don't know how to describe it - feels different LOL.  The stock grips are actually not bad.  I thought I wanted something really aggressive, but I'm going to try these out a few more matches to see it it's enough.  I took @NickBlasta's advice and added a little oval of grip tape where my support hand thumb sits.  I had a bad habit of holding it higher, sometimes riding the slide - so this is a good marker to get used to where it needs to be and keep from slipping out of place.  I'll take it off before IPSC. 

Indexing is exactly the same as my XDm, so I don't need any adjustments, which is awesome; one less thing that needs relearning.  The mags are so slippery and my new mag pouches' retention so much looser that I keep whacking/fumbling mags out of my pouches.  Little bit of a learning curve.  It'll be SO much easier to stuff mags on 'mags on table' starts - I think I'll be happy.  Reloads are so smooth going in and coming out... I think I'm going to love this gun.  I'm really excited about getting in a longer dryfiring session tomorrow. :)  I'm happy :) 

21 hours ago, AlphaCharis said:

The closest range is 1hr 15min away so I pretty much never livefire practice.  The only livefire I get is matches. 

I am nearly not disciplined enough..... I go through spells of dryfiring 5 days a week, then I erroneously think it's not helping because "I still suck", or I think that dryfire is making me worse for some reason and "take a break."  All of a sudden I haven't dryfired for 2-3 weeks, and then start dryfiring again.... it's a horrible cycle that I need to break.  BUT.... this last year has been way better than the past because I used to never dryfire at all.  I have a lot of my dryfire in my journal, but I didn't put all my sessions in the last few months.  I'm starting my schedule back up today - minimum of 15 minutes, 5 days/week.  My problem is that I like to see results "right away," so I just need to learn to be patient and keep practicing whether it looks like there are results or not.    

I've had the problem where i would hit dryfire hard and heavy then peter out.  My problem was setting to high of a goal.  So now i try to dryfire 4 times a week.  I use a habit tracker on my phone to help keep me going.  It's seemed to work pretty well. 

6/2/18    YRPA Steel Classic Championship  |  4th Limited

My (last??) match with my XDm.  I had a really fun steel match last weekend in Yakima!  Besides Berry's Steel Open, I hadn't shot a steel match in a long time.  It was a loooong day - three hours of sleep and up at 2AM, match starting around 8 AM, back home around 11 PM.  I was pretty tired at the end of the day, but it was worth the trip.  I got 4th in Limited.  I also shot my 10/22 (that I won at this match 2 years ago), but I had malfs on every stage because of my old mags! ...and was last place in the rimfire rifle irons division lol

In Limited, I lost second place because of 2 bad strings on stage 1 (our last stage of the day) :(  (I'm just pointing out the errors from that stage because I was the most inconsistent on it - I lost focus and wasn't aiming appropriately on the middle three strings, any other tiny mistakes here and there would've made up the time as well, as it always goes.)  If those two strings would have been closer in time to my first and last string of that stage.... 2nd.  Consistency is SO important!!  Can't make stupid mistakes anymore.  BUT... I was super happy with this match anyway because it was the most consistent steel match I have ever shot.  I was there to have fun and call my shots, and I did a pretty good job, so I had a really good day.

1 Kelley, Patrick     LTD   130.45 20.75 12.11 14.98 13.93 13.81 20.07 9.85 13.51 11.44
2 Taylor, Robin     LTD   144.88 19.38 16.97 16.22 15.82 17.20 19.29 12.06 15.05 12.89
3 Laws, Aaron     LTD   147.17 18.49 14.19 23.70 14.45 15.01 20.32 15.01 12.75 13.25
4 Denton, Charis     LTD   148.84 27.24 16.95 15.14 14.18 16.03 21.42 11.21 14.94 11.73

Here's the longer version of the match video with some of the rifle malfs and outtakes (me yelling at my 10/22).

YRPA Steel Classic Championship - 4th Limited

Edited by AlphaCharis
Added date

6/9 - 6/10/18 USPSA Paul Bunyan

- 3rd Production (out of 21), 93.59%

- 7th Limited (out of 31), 82.70%

Dryfired 6/7 and 6/8, getting more comfortable with the gun.  Rotated all my mag pouches back a notch and reloading is way better now. 

Shot Production on Saturday ....felt like I did a lot better than Tuesday.  So, progress continues!!  Double action is still hard for me, taking too much time for my first shot.  I shot Limited minor with 15 rounds on Sunday to practice for IPSC.  I actually shot worse on Sunday.   I was in a bad mood after the second stage after getting popper f'd for the second day in a row - same popper.  Shot it 3 times Saturday and twice today.  I don't know why I let it get to me so bad.  I let it trigger a flood of negativity and after I was done being mad I was almost in tears.  I think I was stressed since Oregon State is only two weeks away and I was thinking I was doing so horrible with the new gun and I was "never going to shoot well with it."  Stupid, I know.  Sorry, Squad, for being a pill for a few stages!  The two stages after my popper stage were better than the day before's by 0.2 and 0.6 HF, and then the next two were 0.2 HF lower - so I was still relatively consistent.    

At the end of the day, I was kinda surprised by the scores since I thought I did much worse.  I need to stop thinking about it and just shoot!

This stage had a half a head target surrounded by no-shoots that was shot after hosing 6 poppers.  I pulled my second shot a tiny bit and nicked the no-shoot but the overlay didn't reach the perf!  Two alpha without the no-shoot!  I shot two alpha today, too, an inch apart in the center of the eyebox.  I love how much more accurate this gun is!

20180610_214925.jpg

Edited by AlphaCharis
Added link