Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AlphaCharis' PewPew Life

AlphaCharis

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#dryfire  40 minutes

I had an hour session last night, but spent some time texting my friend in between sets and a few minutes searching for the part in a video I watched the other week about the turn and draw.  On one of Steve Anderson's podcasts he was describing how he did the turn and draw, I searched and found someones recent class that had where he demonstrates how he does the turn and draw.  I normally start moving my right foot first (turning to my right).  It looks like he moves his left foot first and then steps toward the target (turning to the right) with his right foot.  Going to test both ways more this week on camera.  I tried his way a few times, and it felt slower and like I had to think about it - so going to spend some more time on it so it feels more natural so I can compare.  I wanted to practice my turn and draw and eliminate drawing uprange.  At a match a while back, I started to draw too early and it looked so bad, I chopped that part out of my video.  The RO couldn't tell cause he was standing on the other side.  My squad mate, who saw it, told me, and I didn't believe him until I watched it on video.  I guess it's not necessarily that I am "drawing too early"... I need to look forward and turn faster.  

Started off with warming up with some slow motion draws, long distance shots, then went on to a few timed drills  - timed draw to one shot at .9 par time.  6R6R6 at 5.9 sec par time was a bit rough lol.  Briefly touched on plate racks, one handed shooting, transfer to weak hand.  Also practiced hands on barricade start and lean around to first target.  My main focus of practice was reloads and shooting out of and into positions with various target presentations, 90 transitions, reloads in between target arrays.  Used my grip stuff this time and it made worlds of difference than my last practice session.  Can't practice without it!

Tried to maintain my grip better this practice.  My support hand still needs a little work on maintaining it throughout.  Started getting a little sloppy with some of my hits and was pulling off target a little early.  Need to follow through and make an acceptable shot, if not acceptable or didn't call it - shoot it again!

Edited by AlphaCharis

#dryfire 30 minutes

Reloads!  I think I don't always look at my magwell during the reload, so did a lot where I would pause at the mouth of the magwell. Then onto regular ones along with shooting different targets and reloading while moving in different directions to the next target array.  Getting a bit smoother.  Stopped after 30 minutes cause my blister broke during this session and my hands were tired and sore in general.  Give it a day rest today and back tomorrow. 

#dryfire

1/21/18    45 minutes

Don't remember what I did except reloads cause I almost dropped my mag on my box of glass ornaments I hadn't put away, yet.

1/22/18   35 minutes

• Reload Drill (6 reload 6 reload 6 )    5.9 second par time.  20 reps on the timer.  Several without the par time.  I was struggling with this drill when I realized the retention on my mag pouches was turned up crazy hard.  Loosened it up a bit and it was much smoother on the reload.  Didn't feel like I was struggling so much.  Just have to get it into the magwell now lol.  My friend reminded me that he thinks I turned up the retention because I kept knocking mags out on the reload.  I remember dropping a bunch last year, so maybe I just went crazy with the retention.  Also instead of a static reload on this drill, I would step reload, or do a 90 degree transition to another target during the reload and back again so that every reload was on the move.  Need to slap and snap my mag out consistently.
  • El Prez  no par with focus on seeing sights and having correct grip.
  • Draw  30 reps at 0.9 second par focus on good grip out of the holster and seeing sights on alpha.  20 reps would draw to the target, fire two shots within the par, then transition to another target with sights on alpha, but not pulling trigger.  Then getting ready for timer for next draw.
Edited by AlphaCharis

#dryfire   

1/23/18    45 minutes

• Warm up:  Warmed up with draws, draws to different targets, moving forward.  Turn and draw practice, El Prez with no par.
  • El Prez:  5.2 par x5, 5.0 par x5, 4.8 par x15, 4.6 par x5.  Way more consistent on seeing my sights right away.  I remember early on when I was pushing speed last year the whole first time across the targets I struggled to see my sights on target.  Looked back at my old times and it was around 6.1 seconds with seeing sights on all targets, so improvement.  On the faster par time tonight I sometimes had poor grip after the reload and started gliding over the middle target a bit
  • Bill Drill:  1.9 par x10, 1.6 par x10 - last shot consistently on the beep
  • 6R6R6:  5.9 par x5 - struggling to meet par, hitting magwell, fumbling snatch from mag pouch, dropped a mag.  Did some perfect reps off the timer
  • Reloads and shooting on the move:  All off the timer.  Worked on several target arrays with moving reloads between positions, advancing on open targets, retreating, distance change ups, drawing to head shots.  Draw to head, reload, draw to body.  Practiced barricade starts and leaning around to first target, reload to another position
  • Ended with long distance shots, good trigger press.  Was starting to feel much more confident and fluid in my reloads and like I could possibly improve.

Edited by AlphaCharis
Took out spaces

#dryfire

1/24/18   30 minutes

I was really tired and didn't want to dryfire,  but did it anyway.  Slo-mo draws.  I've been over-thinking my support hand and my draws have been awkward.  Trying to ignore thinking.

Draws at speed, adding multiple targets, concentrating on grip, trigger pull, calling shots.  Draws while moving forward, then right, then transition to new position and moving forward.

6R6R6 on the move, a few stationary.  Concentrating on the pull from the mag pouch, consistent position - have been grabbing with fingertips and flubbing the reload.  Been trying out the lean on the grab, see how that works from me.  Lots of reloads on the move. 

Did some lunges, then burst up out of position.  Going to be adding some agility excercises soon.

1/25/18

So was tired the day before cause was kinda sick.  Spent the day in bed.

1/26/18

Got home late.  So tired!   Loaded ammo and packed for match on Saturday in Oregon.  Got to bed at 12:30 AM.  Set alarm for 2:00 AM.  

#match day!

1/27/18

After sleeping through my 2:00 AM alarm and waking at 2:56 AM, I went to my driveway to find 2 inches of snow covering everything and the roads were only driven on by one vehicle who used  only the middle of the road.  My car is poor in snow, so I altered my path and went down the mountain instead of up higher through it.  My friend told me he was leaving at 3:15.  It was almost that time already and I was still 30 minutes away.  Fifteen anxious minutes later and the roads were clear for me to speed.  I shot a text asking, "How hard and fast is the 3:15 departure time?" and receiving only a thumbs down GIF of Commodus from NickBlasta as a reply.  I made it to the house, carpooling friends gear packed in the car, car running, and one of my other friend later saying,  "3:15?  Nick told me we were leaving at 3:45."  LOL. My friends know me too well.  We arrived in Dundee, Oregon around 7:40 AM for the 9:00 AM match start.  And got maybe 45 minutes more sleep on the ride.  

I loaded up with triple shot latte and a few Red Bulls throughout the day.   Shot pretty well and saw some improvement from some of the things I had been practicing in my dryfire sessions.

At the end of the day during awards,  I got High Lady overall and got a cute ribbon.  I actually like getting souvenirs from local matches,  it's fun  :) When Production division came around, I think there were enough in C class for an award, then they went to the overalls.  I was a little disappointed there weren't any others in A class cause I wanted another ribbon!  "3rd overall, xxx, Master class."  Darn, I'm thinking, didn't make it..... "2nd overall, xxx, Master class."  *sigh*  "First overall, Production winner... Charis Denton."  People clapped and were looking at me, and I just kinda stared blankly, not sure what was going on.  Thought maybe I heard wrong, or he accidentally gave out awards in the wrong order.  It was a pleasant surprise!   And I got another ribbon  :)

Haven't made my match video,  yet, as I was very ready for bed after less than 3 hours sleep.  Here's the last stage of the day:

1/27/18    Dundee - Production Win

I could see improvement in movement and target acquisition at this match, and definitely some things to work on.  

My main focus for dryfire this week will be on my exits and reloads:

1.  Explosive exit! use my arms more for getting out of a position, throw my weight around more

2.  Reloading as I'm taking a step out of a position and completing it before I leave - one and done!  There are two main ways I want to reload - before leaving my position and coming into a position - I need to stop dragging it out and slowing myself down by still trying to reload on the run in between positions. 

#dryfire

1/28/18    45 minutes

No par times today.  Kind of miscellaneous practice, nothing really in depth, just general familiarization.

• Warm up with draws, focus on grip, El Prez, focus on reloads, calling shots, draw and moving forward.
  • Field work:  reloads on the move, exits, calling BOTH shots on target.  After a rough classifier (63%) did a similar drill at home with paper and steel and a mandatory reload.
  • Unloaded starts with practice racking from the front serrations.  I like how much quicker it is to regain grip after racking it from the front as opposed to the the rear.
  • 180 degree transitions, paying attention to finger outside the trigger guard

#physical fitness    25 minutes

Squats, 2 sets of 20 bicep curls, lunges, 10 girly pushups (dang I'm out of shape with those), 50 crunches, shoulder rolls, 10 minutes of stretching.  Rib area still stiff and range of motion isn't back, yet.  

#dryfire

1/29/18    45 minutes

On the second stage of my match last weekend, my forward movement was really slow.  My friend told me to practice using my arms to help me to move out of position quicker.  So practiced mostly that tonight.  Going to practice exits much more this week.  Going longer distances still needs work.  Will be a lot easier to practice when the days get longer and I can practice in my yard.  Also touched on one(ish) step reloads.  Gonna do that some more.  Warmed up with general shooting, draws, el Prez, bill drill, plate racks.

This is the clip of stage 2 moving forward (basically all my exits are slow) and then what I started to practice in dryfire for exiting.  I didn't record it for posting, so just ignore the house and what I'm wearing... but anyway, starting to exit faster, at least for short distances where I don't need to reload.  

#dryfire

1/31/18    30 minutes

I felt this was a very productive session :)  Grip is feeling better, getting tighter without thinking.  Nothing on the timer tonight.  Lots of taking targets on the move.  I was more concerned about my movement so at times my hits were getting pretty sloppy and shot calling was poor - need to at least call my sloppy shots.  Using arm to exit and get it back in place on entry.  Recorded some reloads on between positions.  They seem to be getting a lot smoother.  Starting to feel more confident.  Need to get more aggressive in movements.

2/1/18    45 minutes

2/2/18    30 minutes

Both these nights I didn't write anything down, just the times.  Mostly worked on what I've been working on all week.  Lots of movement and running, exits, grip.  Getting excited to shoot!  Ended my Friday night session on some accuracy drills, sometimes if I'm letting myself get too sloppy in dryfire, my next match is all alpha charlies lol.  Takes a match or two to settle back down and aim properly.  My hands were a little tired for this session and a little sore.  

Edited by AlphaCharis

#pewpewing

2/3/18  Jefferson USPSA - Production Win  |  4th Overall, 81.98% of Open GM

Shot a match on Saturday.  It went okay, though I dropped a LOT of charlies.  Going to be a lot less sloppy in dryfire this week lol.  A lot of my movement looked a little better.  Could still be more aggressive, look a little too relaxed.  Need to grip better, call both my shots - I actually had some surprise deltas... like, I had NO idea.  Very bad.  I need to know where all my shots are landing.  My reloads are getting better.  My stages are getting a little more consistent.  Continue working on exits, entrances, shooting on the move.

Stages:  Production  |  Overall

• Stage 1:  3rd, 92.73%  |  5th, 73.49%
    Work on when to draw when facing downrange and then running uprange - I may have technically "drawn uprange" since my body was turned sideways. Also didn't realize I could have shot the steel from the forward fault line without breaking the 180, I had added a position that I didn't need.
  • Stage 2:  2nd, 98.79%  |  6th, 81.04%
    Get lower when shooting while moving... watch those sights!  My two deltas came from shooting while retreating
  • Stage 3:  WIN  |  4th, 78.28%
    My freestyle could have been faster.  Also, aim for the alpha, my groups on the bottom target were pretty tight... all in the charlie cause I was shooting well below the no-shoot.  My targets counterclockwise from top were 4A / 4A / 4C / 3A, 1C
  • Stage 4:  WIN  |  2nd 93.30%
    The steel went well.  I think I missed my pickup on the steel that didn't fall when I shot it the first time, but it finally fell off when it rotated down.  
  • Stage 5:  2nd, 76.49%  |  6th, 70.88%
    Ugh.... grip sucked bad on the classifier.  If I had tightened up my grip and gotten some alphas.. and not rushed off the last paper target early.... 
  • Stage 6:  WIN  |  7th, 79.73%
    Couple hiccups and not as smooth as I had hoped, but not too bad.

#dryfire

2/6/18  50 minutes

It took 70 minutes, but I spent some time reviewing the video I took of some of my draws and reloading on the 180.  Didn't dryfire Monday as I was really tired after cleaning and rearranging my three boys' room for 4+ hours.  TOO MANY TOYS.  I boxed everything up to go through later; did leave the legos, matchbox cars, and light sabers out, though.  Anyway....

• Practiced some core skills draws with focus on grip, good sight picture, trigger press.  Draws from hands at sides and wrists above.  Recorded several reps to see if had wasted movement--pretty much my head and shoulders aren't moving at all, I'm getting the gun up quickly in front of my face, so that's good.  
  • Trigger control at speed, draw to head box and 25 yard poppers with good trigger press
  • Upper A, reload, lower A drill from Stoeger's 15 minute dryfire video, with focus on getting a good grip out of the holster, good trigger press, calling the shot, positive grip on mag out of the pouch, looking at magwell.
  • Practiced reloads by themselves, I missed the magwell several times; so practiced several in slow-mo to get them properly executed, looked at magwell.  went back to regular speed and hitting reloads much better.  Then kept grabbing the mag with the tips of my fingers and not having the best grip.  Will start reloads next session in slow-mo several times and gradually pick up the pace, keeping good form.  Reloads are getting better altogether, and grip is feeling stronger.
  • Target and position transitions, reloads on the move, 180 and 90 transitions, one step reload practice--still fumbling
  • Draw to different angles--rusty on indexing at different angles.  Will focus more on this another day. 
  • Did some movement drills based on stage 1 of my last match - mimicking the first two positions as two separate drills.  (1) the wall start, drawing and running uprange to the first position, (2) shooting a target downrange, 90 degree transition to the left and shooting targets as I retreat, then running to the right and reloading, (3) then just practiced facing left shooting a target on the 180 and turning to reload and shoot another target directly downrange.  I have broken my wrist early in the past, breaking the 180 on the reload, so want to avoid that in the future.  Have five more drills to  practice this week.

Reminders:

1.  Habitually Increasing speed in practice will naturally translate to increased speed at a match.  New norms! 

2.  I am becoming a better shooter by sticking to my training schedule--even if it doesn't feel like it (and even when it feels like I'm getting worse).  Stick to it!

3.  Visualize, visualize, visualize.  Detailed.  What do my sights look like on the target?  Where's the target behind the barricade?  Program everything.  

4.  (a la Steve Anderson)  I have one job at a match... call all my shots.  Don't rush, don't panic, don't "try", do one thing at a time.  Finish shooting first, then move aggressively.

Edited by AlphaCharis
Highlighting things I need to work on later

#dryfire

2/7/18    40 minutes

Reloads, wide transitions, 6R6R6, more reloads.  

Felt really slow tonight and reloads were a struggle.  Tried 6R6R6 at the last par I did while back, 5.9 sec -- not even close.  Sloppy grip, pulling off last shots, deltas after reload - bumped it to 6.2 and was getting a better grip, alphas, and paying attention to the reload better, but still struggling.  Abandoned the timer altogether to focus on form.  Continued working on reloads, shooting 2-3 targets in between, standing in one spot, but widening target transitions.

2/8/18  45 minutes

Worked almost exclusively on reloads.  Reloads while one-stepping, static, moving several steps and reloading into position.  After a LOT of reloads that went WAY better than the night before, I ended on some unloaded table starts, racking from front serrations.  I'm still not in a habit of using the front serrations, but like it better for regaining grip after racking.  Unloaded starts from hands at sides, wrists above, hands hovering over gun, hands on table, and running up to table. 

#fitness

Also been working on squats, crunches, and bicep curls, stretching or a little yoga after dryfire.  Will add more activity as the routine is more of a habit, don't want to add a ton and then give up.  Want to build good habits I will stick with.  This is also the first week of tracking calories, hoping to lose some weight this year.  Gained about 15 the past six months and look like crap.  Goal is 1200 calories a day plus any calories earned by exercise.  Stuck with it this week, and have definitely had to use my calories more wisely... no muffins and latte for breakfast which would leave only 300 calories for the rest of the day.  Also, I am SO SO happy that my lungs have finally cleared up after two long years of coughing and wheezing.  Was so miserable and draining.

Edited by AlphaCharis

#dryfire

2/9/18    60 minutes

General gun handling - draws, turn and draw, exits, then on to some timed stuff today.  Didn't focus a lot on one thing, running through drills I haven't done on the timer in awhile.  I don't actually count my reps while I'm doing them, I have all my exercise and par times saved in a dry fire app, so just have to push the start button.  most are in sets of 10, the longer drills are set for 5 reps.  It records the reps and par times and I just have to go through and review them later.  Makes it nice to keep practice going without having to write anything down.

• 180 degree transitions, 8 yard partials x20 @2.5 sec, x20 @2.3 sec
  • 90 degree transitions, open targets, x20 @1.7 sec
  • Bill Drill, 10 yards, x10 @1.6 sec
  • Plate Rack, x10 @3.0 sec, x5 @2.0 sec - my draw to first shot wasn't nearly fast enough to meet this time, x10 @2.5 sec
  • Reloads 6R6R6, x10 @6.2 sec - was finally getting my reloads, unlike the other night
  • Draw, 10 yards open target x20 @0.9 sec - trying to get good grip each time out of the holster and then gripping tight with support hand
  • Draw to target, sights aligned (no trigger pull), x30 @0.6 sec
  • Reload Drill, aimed at target, reload on beep, x5 @1.4 sec, x10 @1.0 sec (tough! not quite making the 1.0 second)
  • Shooting while moving, 10 yards, forward and retreat, x20 @2.0 sec
I'm shooting a match tomorrow and finally got all my ammo loaded before midnight.  So, I will hopefully get a full night's sleep for this match ;)  Super excited about shooting!

#match day

2/11/18

Well....  I shot a match yesterday and had a lot of fun, but also felt disappointed in my match performance all day long.  I just could not concentrate and aim... charlies all over.  There were stages that I felt I wasted a lot of time, but didn't really know how to make it faster.  Had a few stage that were really slow.  Messed up some of my reloads, adding a few seconds here and there, which was part of the reason I was so slow on those stages.  Had a really hard time staying positive during the match and was down on myself all day that I sucked.  I have still been slightly moping about the match the past 24 hours, but am going to try and ignore the discouragement and will be dry firing right after I finish this journal entry.....  I guess I should try and find a few positives.  I might see some more when I watch my whole my match video.  

Hm.  Weird.  I've been beating myself up about my horrible hits, and even though they were uncharacteristically high in bravo/charlies, it seemed pretty average for the match in all divisions.  Out of the 12 production shooters, only one other person had more alphas than I did.  I guess it wasn't as bad as I have been making it out.  (A third of the charlies were from one stage - a stage with all upside down targets, which was kinda funny. LOL) Total:  118A, 6B, 30C, 1D, 1NS Dang

I didn't have the Production win, but I was the closest to the Master class production shooter that always beats me than I ever have been.  I'm usually about 80% of his score and I ended up 92.82% and was 18.7 seconds off his pace over the 7 stages.  I also ended up beating him on three stages, whereas before I might have beat him on one during a match.  Of course, percentages depend a lot on the type of stages and how consistently the other person is performing, but it could be that I am improving a little.  I made some mistakes, but my friend told me:  "But you're making them faster."  So, I suppose I could be doing things slightly faster.  My reload on my classifier wasn't too bad.  I'll look at each of my stages tomorrow, but for now.... I will just remind myself to stop moping and that I WILL GET BETTER, eventually, and KEEP DRY FIRING.  Last year I practiced for about seven weeks, then didn't think I was getting any better, so mostly stopped dry firing and just shot matches.  I don't want to do that again and waste the whole year.  Not getting stuck as a baby A class scrub.

Maybe my dry fire session will snap me out of it.

(I excluded PCC for match and stage percentages, included all pistol divisions.  For reference, 6/7 stages won by 3 different Open GMs, and one stage by a CO Master [who is also a 4 div GM].  My Production competition included 1 M, 2 A, 2 B, etc.)

Match:  92.82% 2nd Production  |  62.98%, 27th overall of 79)

Stage 2 (79.92% | 51.71%):  First stage of the day (started on stage 2) was really slow.  One popper didn't go down and had to shoot it again.  

Stage 3 (69.78% | 49.88%):  one no-shoot, time okay

Stage 4 (80.78% | 68.00%):  almost forgot to reload on SHO.  Need more visualization.  Don't cant my gun on WHO - malf.

Stage 5 (100% | 56.89%):  Get up from seated starts faster.  Focus on reloads.  Overstepped area cause fumbled reload - separate the two - don't keep walking just because I'm still reloading.  Also, overswung target cause was looking at RO standing there when turned around.

Stage 6 (96.97% | 67.96%):  Learn to run.  When running don't be self-conscious and start thinking and lose focus on what you're doing.  I got to the table and totally messed up loading mags into pouches.  Aim coming into position and call shots.

Stage 7 (100% | 67.32%):  GRIP!  CALL SHOTS!  Reload was descent, could be better.  Tape blew off and freaked me out (just saw holes in the no-shoot with peripheral) and distracted me, moved to the right because I was confused, added some time and threw some more charlies.

Stage 1 (88.75% | 60.69%):  Whole front section was chunky, not smooth, waited to pick up a delta (which may have been a charlie actually), started thinking, slowed everything down.  

#dryfire

2/12/18    45 minutes

I really wasn't feeling the desire to dryfire at all last night, but strapped my gear on and started practicing anyway.  I spent this practice in accuracy mode, paying special attention to grip, trigger pull, and calling every shot.  Reloads were my focus since that is one of the things that is wasting the most time, plus I was feeling lazy and didn't want to run around.  Lots of drawing to targets, some 90 degree transitions and reloads.  Took short rests for my arms so I could continue to grip hard.  Advanced on 10 yard (simulated) open targets and partials, shooting on the move, making sure I was seeing both shots and they were acceptable hits, reloaded, reengaged. 

#dryfire

2/13/18    30 minutes

2/14/18    30 minutes

Last two nights of practice I did a lot of reloads--trying to pick up speed and consistency.  When getting sloppy, backing off.  Getting a perfect grip out of holster, having a firm support hand grip, and looking at the magwell....why are these things so hard to do consistently??  Especially being consistent with getting a good grip on the mag before pulling it out of the pouch.  Wednesday:  draws two hits on head, R, two on body x a lot.  Then on two open targets, a partial, and two steel plates--draw to head, R body, body, R head body, R head steel steel to work calling my shots and reloads.  Mostly static on both nights.  Did some 90 degree transitions as well, some advancing on targets, and practiced hopping sideways for two array of targets through close ports.  Barricade starts with first target on a lean.  Indexing much better on lean. 

After all the charlies at the last match, realized I need to divide my dryfire more evenly between speed mode and accuracy mode.  Also, need to calm down on match day and get into match mode.  

#dryfire

2/15/18    20 minutes

Did a bunch of reloads forever.  Looked at time.... 3 minutes.  Wow.  This is going to feel like a long dryfire session lol.  I was really tired last night, but wanted my minimum 15 minutes, so stopped looking at the clock and got to work.  I thought maybe I needed to focus on reloads instead of just incorporating them into whatever I was practicing at the time in hopes I would at last feel competent with them -- that hasn't happened, so maybe I'll just go back doing them along with whatever I'm practicing on.  I don't know.  Doesn't feel like I'm capable of getting better.  Need to go shooting and have some fun so I stop moping about how much I suck. 

Still hard to maintain my grip throughout the dryfire session.  At last match didn't even maintain my grip throughout a STAGE.  Need to constantly remind myself.  Frustrated.  

Draw to three targets, static, with lots of reloads, mixed up order of shooting targets, also 90 and 180 degree transitions.  Did 180 transitions on partial targets on the timer.  Practiced exits without a reload.  Did some advancing while shooting--several times did slo-mo reps for form--getting perfect sight pics and getting low.  

#fitness    20 minutes

Finished with girlie push ups - one set of 10.  They were actually a lot easier than last week, so tonight will up it to two sets, maybe increase the set to 12 or so.  50 crunches, plus a dozen more later on, two sets of 20 bicep curls, one set of 12 tricep extensions each arm, 40 leg lifts each leg, stretching.  Been tracking my calories daily, wanting to get around a weekly 5,000 - 6,000 calorie deficit (1200 calories/day, and around 2200 calories on match "cheat" days).  One annoying thing with me, though, is I can eat 1200 calories a day and I don't actually lose any weight for about a month.  So I'm staying away from the scale.