Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AlphaCharis' PewPew Life

AlphaCharis

#springs!

Got new mag springs! Realized I had 3 with the dimpled springs :/ But I cleaned my other 4 and put the new square springs in - my old ones were all an inch shorter than the new ones. Now I either need to get the dimpled springs, or see if I can just get new basepads for the 3 oddball ones so I don't have to worry about two different kinds. Especially since I bought 15 of the square springs. Hopefully the new springs solve my malf issues, since I'm flying out this Thursday for Berry's Steel Open!

#drypewpewing

Trying to do dryfire everyday, even if it's not for very long. 20 min Wednesday and 30 minutes on Thursday, Friday I only had time to get my mags cleaned and new springs in before date night. I suggested loading ammo and dryfire for date night, but he didn't go for it :/ Focused on unloaded starts (taking mags from my belt this time) and reloads. Could see a lot of improvement. Noticed I had a habit of always looking at the target as I was going for my gun, so wasn't looking at the magwell during loading. Switched it up a bunch, practiced reloads and movement as well - drew to various targets, kept gun up moving to other targets - unloaded starts were looking pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a few matches behind! I went to Berry's Steel Open in St. George, Utah a few weeks ago.... FUN! It was 18 stages of steel awesomeness, which I will make a video for later. Had NONE of the previous malfunction that I had been having. Note to self: TAPING the basepad meant for a dimpled spring because you're running with a square spring is not good enough to run with in a stage! :P You will see the butchering of this stage in my video later.

#pewpewing

Shot a USPSA match on Sunday, which was - inconsistent - I'm kind of in a funk, I think, which I will get out of! I had fun, but was also frustrated on a few of the stages (only 4 out the 7 of 'em.... lol) and was super down on myself for sucking. Need to move past that, and let go of the previous stage - bad or good - and focus on the stage at hand, shooting it to the best of my ability. So many mental errors.

#practice

Concentrating this month on gripping tighter with my support hand in dryfire. It has not become habit, yet - in dryfire OR livefire. I shot a stage last night and made sure to grip hard with my support hand and.... it. felt. awesome. All alphas. I ended up 7th overall on that stage of 34 shooters and 78.85% of the Open Master who won that stage. More of that.

Stage 1: decent, but could have been better. Especially on steel

Stage 2: Pretty good except for the trigger freeze and slow reload

Stage 3: A good stage, messed up on my reload though and had some trigger issues and pulled a delta

Stage 4: Bleh... Should have hit the left target again - and on the right - if two of my hits would have just been a cm to the left - would have been perfect. At least I didn't zero the stage :P

Stage 5: My trigger control has been BAD. Thinking about going to a trigger with some travel so I can break my bad habit of slapping the trigger. This stage was terrible, with 2 no shoots. The second one was from a really bad, loose group.

Stage 6: Finally a good stage! I didn't make any huge mistakes and scored well.

Stage 7: UGH. More terrible trigger control. More loose gripping.

Lesson: Ugh... All the things.

Edited by AlphaCharis

Don't forget to give a positive or two for the negative. Here are some positives I see in those same runs.

Stage 1: Didn't waste any time drawing and moving. Eased into position and started firing immediately upon target acquisition.

Stage 2: Serious ass-haul action moving downrange. Texas star engagement... daaaaamn! Nice one.

Stage 3: Nice aggressive turn and draw.

Stage 4: Yikes! Don't be too hard on yourself. This stage was just plain mean. Makes me wonder if the designer had 4 flats on his car at the end of the match. hehe.

Stage 5: Nice hustle! Seriously, you are moving very well these days.

Stage 6: Way to finally give yourself a pat on the back. But I found a huge problem... what was up with?. AHH, just kidding. Nice work.

Stage 7: Another mean stage. While you picked on your trigger control again, how many of those plates did you hit the first shot? Count them up.. there's your positive.

Don't forget to give a positive or two for the negative. Here are some positives I see in those same runs.

Stage 1: Didn't waste any time drawing and moving. Eased into position and started firing immediately upon target acquisition.

Stage 2: Serious ass-haul action moving downrange. Texas star engagement... daaaaamn! Nice one.

Stage 3: Nice aggressive turn and draw.

Stage 4: Yikes! Don't be too hard on yourself. This stage was just plain mean. Makes me wonder if the designer had 4 flats on his car at the end of the match. hehe.

Stage 5: Nice hustle! Seriously, you are moving very well these days.

Stage 6: Way to finally give yourself a pat on the back. But I found a huge problem... what was up with?. AHH, just kidding. Nice work.

Stage 7: Another mean stage. While you picked on your trigger control again, how many of those plates did you hit the first shot? Count them up.. there's your positive.

Thanks for that!! I've been overly critical for months, when I just need to calm down and shoot the best of my current level of ability, and I will improve over time as long as I keep training. My negativity has contributed to me feeling like I'm spiraling downward with no hope of improvement. *lol* I also noticed because I constantly am telling myself I suck - my confidence going into a stage suffers, and I don't shoot as well as I know I can. Like on the swinger stage, I remember thinking how slow I was going, and that I should be shooting it faster, cause I'm wasting so much time waiting for it - when really, it was unavoidable - for my level of ability, one shot per pass was fine. I shouldn't have been worrying about ANYTHING. Just calling my shots. When I become self-conscious, I rush and make mistakes. When I go into a stage only thinking about shooting, I do so much better! and feels awesome.

Edited by AlphaCharis

34 shooters at our evening match on Tuesday :)

Stage 1: 8A, 4C 1st production, 8th overall. Six Chickens Classifier, according to azshooters, it was a 66.06% That reload, again, messing it up!
Stage 2: 6A, 9B, 2C, 1M, 1 NS 3rd prodcution, 18th overall. This one was a little rough, lol. Probably should have shot a makeup shot, but I was kinda afraid I would just hit another no-shoot. And yes.. standing on the 180 - I went to slidelock unexpectedly... I somehow didn't have 11 in my first mag.
Stage 3: 14A, 2B, 4C 2nd production, 6th overall. After that no-shoot, I brought my focus in a bit more. I feel like I should of shot this differently, but not really sure what I should have done instead.
Stage 4: 4.79 seconds 2nd production, 6th overall. There's that reload, again - keep missing it. It's so stiff. Can't wait for my Glock to get here. But I really like that I went 1-for-1. And despite talking, my draw to first shot wasn't bad.
Stage 5: 11A, 3C 2nd production, 14th overall. I don't know how I messed up my stage plan. Wasn't a huge mistake, though. I was going to just hit the small popper when I was in the left port, so I would only shoot to 10, reload, move to the right port and finish off the remaining 10 rounds. When I saw the target on the other side of the barrel, I got confused for a second. :( Maybe it's cause I hadn't eaten for awhile and my brain doesn't work as well. That happened at Berry's Steel Open on one stage, but WAY worse... I can't wait to upload that one! So funny. I was literally staring at targets for 5 seconds, my mind racing, trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing. My mind was completely BLANK - just staring at the targets like it was the first time I had seen the stage. I had gotten to the range at 7:00AM and hadn't eaten breakfast that morning because there were going to be food trucks. They had us turn in squad orders.... we got our food at probably 2:30 PM? We were on our second to last stage out of the 10 stages for that day. I was almost going to go on a hunger strike and refuse to shoot until I got to eat. lol Next day went a lot smoother and I didn't get hangry.
Stage 6: 8A 1st production, 7th overall This was my favorite! Almost no mental errors on this one. Could have been a little faster moving down the board, but it was decent. There were penalties if you touched the ground at all. On the targets I made sure to actually grip firmly with my support hand. I got a little excited toward the end and had my only pickup shots for the whole stage on that last popper.

Overall, I enjoyed shooting tonight! and wasn't nearly as frustrated with myself as I was on Sunday.

Edited by AlphaCharis

• 2 weeks later...

#pewpewing

I felt... no -- WAS -- SO SLOW all day. I mean "deliberate" ;) Disappointed in how I shot. Reloads were terrible, especially in the last stage, which happened to be the classifier. At least it was bad enough to get dropped, lol 50.08% I think I was tired... went to bed early that night and slept 13 hours!

I did do a much better job at calling my shots and shot 94.47% of the points: 132 A, 4B, 15C, 1D. Now I need to do that, except for the delta... but not be slow lol

Why did you do stage 1 from right to left? If as symmetrical as it looked, the run may have been smoother from left to right. Running up rage trailing the gun is slower than over the shoulder.

Also, nice work on that plate rack 2 counties over. If those were paper the RO would have had to take a bus to score it!

Keep it up!

• 2 weeks later...

Why did you do stage 1 from right to left? If as symmetrical as it looked, the run may have been smoother from left to right. Running up rage trailing the gun is slower than over the shoulder.

Also, nice work on that plate rack 2 counties over. If those were paper the RO would have had to take a bus to score it!

Keep it up!

Yes, you're right... I usually run things left to right, since it flows better and reloads are easier. The only reason I ran it that way is that I got there late, as the last person was running the stage and I had about 7 seconds to look at the stage. The guy had run it right to left, so that was the thing that was stuck in my mind. We had this stage setup the following Sunday as well, with targets in different places, and I ran it left to right then.

Thanks!

#pewpewing

I've been more accurate lately, and having less major mistakes, but have been slow. One thing at a time I guess.

Stage 5 at this match is similar to the previous match's stage 1 - the walls were basically the same, targets were rearranged a bit, and I ran this one left to right. Instead of Tuesday night where I ran it right to left.

The last stage was a classifier - at 50 yards! Terrible. Even if I hadn't shot the entire classifier wrong, shooting the each of the three targets twice per string, instead of one target 6 times per string - I still totally failed and basically zeroed the stage. For prone - I tried to shoot from my side - wasn't gonna work. Tried to lay flat out, but I was too far forward and my elbows were faulting the line. Then realized I didn't have enough time to reposition, so just hung my head and waited for the timer to go off. Utter fail. I know now I have to step back a lot farther. I'm glad I could provide my squaddies some entertainment. #pronefail

#problemos

Also, found out later at Area 1 my rounds have been tumbling past about 15 yards. I'll have to look into this, haven't had any tumblers before. I may bump my powder down a tenth to see if that changes anything. The only thing I've changed recently is my charge, and they're a little hotter than normal - about 1070 fps with 124gr RN Rainier, 4.1 gr Titegroup, OAL don't remember. Need to check into causes of tumbling rounds. I think I only have 50,000 rounds through my barrel. But there is also a hair line fracture on my breechface, running from the firing pin hole to the edge. *sigh*

#newgun....s!

Gonna run my new stock Glock 34 MOS (without optic, yet) on Sunday for the first time. Interested to see how that goes! I'll have to figure out the mods I want for it. AND..... I won a Glock certificate at Area 1! Super excited! I think I'll get either a Glock 17 or another Glock 34 MOS. :)

Edited by AlphaCharis

• 2 weeks later...

#pewpewing

Oregon State Championship! Fun, challenging stages. COSSA puts on a great match! Got my first High Lady Production trophy.

I had some stupid mistakes, which made some of my stages a little disappointing, and I pointed out all my mistakes all day long.... but overall I did better than Area 1, so I'm happy to see some improvement. I came away with a few key things to work on hard this month, which are my biggest weaknesses:

1. MAG CHANGES. One common thing about every one of my changes, is my poor/slow mag changes. No matter the distance I am travelling to the next position, I use that entire time to do my mag change. I think doing two things at once slows both of them down. I am going to be working on getting my mag change completed on the first step out of my position, so I can concentrate on booking it to the next spot and not tiptoeing, staring at my magwell.

2. SHOOTING EARLIER. I've been working on keeping my gun up when I transition to a new position, because I used to drop my gun down all the time. I've been getting a little better with that. Now I need to take it a step further, and have it up because I am actually acquiring my sights as soon as the target is visible as I am coming into position and then firing as soon as possible. I spend too much time planting in a position and THEN lining up my sights. Wasting so much time.

3. EXITING HARDER. When I'm leaning around a barricade or something, coming out of the lean is S L O W. I need to learn to do that kick thing to get moving out of position faster. I tried to do it at work today on my way to the copy room. I stood leaning around the doorway and then tried to do the kick thing into the copy room, and my feet wanted to stay planted.

I felt really disappointed after shooting on day 2, and really had to look at my videos and think about the match to find some positives. Some of the things I felt positively about were:

• I was moving from position to position a little faster.
  • Aiming better, instead of freaking out and point shooting, so I made less mistakes "rushing." AND... not pulling off my target earlier when leaving a position. :)
  • Made up uncalled shots - if I didn't call a shot on a target, I took another shot - AIMED. I ended up with about 3-4 makeup shots that made up for hard cover hits that would have been mikes. HOWEVER, I did not hold fast to this "rule" of mine on some close targets - because "how could I miss," right? Ugh.
  • My grip is getting better. Still have to remind myself often to grip tighter. But before, I was pretty much always forgetting to grip. It's getting to be more of a habit, and aiming at long distance targets is easier with the tighter grip. Even with my ammo at 135 PF, my gun isn't moving as much as it used to.
  • Stage planning and memorization. I shot my stages how I planned them, for the most part. Didn't have any major lapses, didn't miss targets. Need to continue working on visualization and REALLY memorizing the stage. Ignore the bridge stage. I realized when on deck, it was unloaded start and I was using 5 mags in my stage plan with only 4 mag holders.... then instead of just using it out of my back pocket, was trying to do it in 4, which didn't allow for hardly any makeup shots - and thus the stage went horrible and went to slide lock twice. Complete disaster. Should have stuck to my original plan. I don't know why I thought at the time using it out of my back pocket would have been so horrible that I should try and do it with 4 mags. Stupid. But shot everything in the order I planned. lol

#problemos
I bumped down my charge a tenth and my rounds are still tumbling. The velocity isn't fast enough for it to be a problem. 1060 fps with 124gr RN plated (Rainier) with 4.0 gr. Titegroup. I pulled a bullet on a few of my loaded rounds.and noticed it was indented quite a bit. I think my crimp die got tightened too much somehow. I'm going to loosen that and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Edited by AlphaCharis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

#pewpewing
I was pretty pleased with this match. I felt really consistent, my stage planning and memorization was good, executing them went mostly to plan - except for one, my reloads were better, and I was a little better at being ready when coming into position. Still a long way to go, but I'm having fun. While I was shooting, I felt really slow and my splits felt really slow, but I don't think it was as bad as it felt. I shot 92% of points and had 1 penalty for the day - a mike on a swinger.

#problemo fixed
Fixed the crimp to almost nothing - just enough to smooth the bell back out.... No tumblers!!

Edited by AlphaCharis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

#pewpewing

I am shooting WAY more consistently lately. Was pretty happy with the way I shot on Sunday. Disappointed in a few mistakes here and there, but overall, it really felt like I was improving - especially in transitioning from target to target, shot calling, and entry and exits. Still much to be desired, but felt like things went more like I planned for them to go.

My last match before this one I had a long list of things that I wrote down that went wrong. On things that went right, I put one thing: I remembered to bring an extra mag on stage 1 and 5 in case I screwed up. (I'll probably post the list later with my match so I can remember the things I need to do to avoid what I did wrong.) Despite the short list of positives and very long list of negatives, I ended up placing 63.50% of the M and GM first and second place Production shooters. I used to shoot around 54-58% of the top two Production shooters - then the average had been around 61% Last several has been 65.93%, 63.5%, and last Sunday was 69.11% I'm hoping I can become more consistent in my shooting and looking forward to seeing improvement. Of course, it all depends on how they did as well, but basing it on the same two people is a pretty good good gauge of how I did.

Oh, toward the end of the day I switched my division to Lim10 because I forgot I needed to get classified this next month. I calculated my percentages based on Production. I was the only Lim10 shooter lol So now I have an 11% (#hardcoverfail) and a 66%.

Edited by AlphaCharis

I've skipped a bunch of your vids lately and watching this one now I see a LOT of improvement. You are doing GREAT. Keep up the good work.

The only additional suggestion I might have is tighten up that grip. Looks (hard to tell) but looks like you are not quite shoved up into the beaver tail as much as you could be and thumbs need to be tight against that slide. Super kung-fu grip that thing!

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

#pewpewing

This match at Custer I thought I did pretty decent at.  Some places I felt a little slow.  I had been wanting to shoot at some longer range stuff, so the first stage we shot was perfect lol  You can see the walk back to the targets at the end of the video.  

A few days after this match I headed to Prodcution Nationals! where I had fun but was also disappointed in how I shot.  I also cracked my gun :( in two places.  Slide and frame.  I'm shooting my Glock 34 for now.

Edited by AlphaCharis

• 2 months later...

This year my asthma has kicked my butt.  Pneumonia back in February, I wasn't even all the way better when I got sick again in May.  My lungs have been horrendous ever since and been coughing and wheezing for almost this entire year.  I've still shot matches all year, but haven't dryfired or practiced at all.... so, I guess you could say this year hasn't been all that productive... but it has been fun :)  Except for the suffering. lol  

I got to go to several majors this year, including Area 1, Production and Open/L10 Nats; learned a ton; and will hopefully be well enough this winter to restart my dryfire I started at the beginning of this year.  I would love to make A class this next season.

Cracked my gun back at Production Nationals, Springfield sent me a new slide and frame, so not shooting the G34 right now.

Just wanted to get something in my journal.  Here's my match from today.  

Edited by AlphaCharis

• 3 weeks later...

So.... I"ve been really frustrated lately.  Like... not even wanting to watch/post any match videos.  I am SO SLOW and haven't improved this year.  I had such high expectations for this year that have been unmet.  Pneumonia, bronchitis, nasty medication allergic reaction/hallucinations/etc.  I was hoping to dryfire a bunch this year.  I started being more active, took the kids hiking when I could until bronchitis took over my life and and prompted an asthma attack after any exertion.   Ugh.  I'm going to need to just either take it easy and not get better at shooting and be happy with that... or go for it and suffer, but be better.  I think I'd rather improve.  Maybe just pushing through it will help me get better.  Or maybe I was just using it all as an escuse.  I don't know.  I have not been happy with the past 11 months. :(  Well.... I have had a LOT of fun shooting.  Just haven't imporoved as much as I would have liked.     --End self pity rant.--

Edited by AlphaCharis

• 1 month later...

#pewpewing

I had fun this match! This was last month's outlaw charity match.  The 37 competitors that braved the cold donated $1300 and a handful of toys for Toys for Tots.

Par time kicked my butt!  I gotta get used to not freaking out on par time.  Just need to shoot one-for-one and not worry about the time.  Don't rush!!

#problemos

Have been having some problems with my press (Dillon 650).  Need to check under my shell plate or something.  I had my FIRST squib.  Something sounded and felt weird - I had my electronic muffs, so it was hard to tell how it exactly sounded.  The RO didn't stop me right away, so I dropped my mag and racked my slide, then my slide wouldn't go all the way forward, I had had a feeling it might be a squib.  So... got a few mikes/FTE's on that stage.

Had a few light strikes :(  Time to change my striker spring and rebound spring.

Ordered mag springs to change out all my springs in my mags. :)  I couldn't find in my accounts when I had changed them out last and then I was just scrolling through my range journal and saw that it was last April, so this'll be perfect timing to refresh everything.  I think I will change my striker and rebound spring every 6 months though.  Those seem to wear out a lot faster and give me light strikes, which I HATE.

#pewpewing

What a fun experience!  I've shot a stage kinda in the dark before a few times when our Tuesday night match during the summer ran a little late - but nothing like this.  I was a little nervous because I wasn't sure how I was going to aim.  It was definitely difficult to find my front sight for the stages that I needed it to aim.  Others were close enough to just point shoot.  

• REHEARSE MY STAGE MORE.... it was a "fun" match, but every match is a competition.  On Stage 1, I was so focused on turning my pistol light on, and worrying about how I was going to reload in the dark and aim in the dark, that I totally forgot a mag change and went to slide lock, needing one more round at the target.  Standing reload.  Ugh.  Such a newbie mistake.
  • KEEP CALM  ON PAR TIME... once again, I need to not freak out the last third of my time.  I just need to keep calm, front sight, trigger press.  Even though I freaked out at the end, I did pretty good.  It was my only stage win in Production and I was 74.49% of the Limited GM overall stage winner.  I left 3 on the plate rack because it was REALLY hard to find my front sight.  In the video they look really bright, but they had a lot of black on them that was really hard to pick up with just black sights.  Maybe I'll shoot CO next time.
  • DON'T IGNORE MY INSTINCTS!  And just do what I need to do in my make ready; quit worrying about other people.  On the last stage at 'make ready' I put my mag in, racked it... then took my mag out to look at it and try and see if it was fully loaded because it felt light.  I was a little self conscious about how long I was taking because we had limited time to finish the stage.... so put it back in without really looking at it very hard.  The pistol array that I was starting with was 5 targets.  I went to slide lock at 9 shots!  Was very confused lol  Had to do a standing reload for 1 shot. 
  • MOVE FASTA!  One of my stages was just slow.  So slow,  We only had B and C class shooters in Production that night, and if I wasn't so dang slow on that stage, and hadn't had my two stupid standing reloads, I would've had the Production win.  Oh well... good motivation to really work on being faster and eliminating those stupid mistakes. 

Kinda lame music and my camera was having trouble focusing in the dark with the lights... but here's my recap for the Night Match. 

#springs

Changed all my mag springs out!  One of them was rusty... need to take my mags apart after a rainy match and dry them all out from now on.  The rest were a few inches shorter than my new ones and were looking pretty shabby, and that was after 9 months.  I don't know if they would last a full year since they were starting to feel not right.  It would be convenient to just have to change them out at the beginning of the year, but if they need it every nine months, they would start causing issues in time for Production Nationals :(

Striker and rebound springs are getting changed out tonight., but I don't know if I should change out my recoil spring - it makes the gun feel different when it's brand new.  It feels like I spent three months getting used to it last time I changed it out.  Hmmmm.... I think that was for Area 1 2015, actually.  Because I cut my hand racking my slide with the different weight.  I used it for two months, then put my old spring back in because I didn't like the feel.  Then was having issues, so threw that one away and put the 14# back in.  And that's the one that is in my gun now....

#drypewpewing  

Wanted to catch up on my dryfire notes and put those in my range journal:

01/04/17    30 minutes - Had horrible trigger control at the New Year's match so did some slow fire trigger control at distance and some other stuff.

01/05/17    45 minutes - Started working from Stoeger's "Dry-Fire Training" for a place to start.  Started with Core USPSA skills.

• Bill Drill (pg 39), Par time set at 2.6 seconds, 40 reps. Hands at side, 6 shots, @ 7 yards
  • Reloads (pg 41), Par time set at 8.5 seconds, 40 reps.  Hands at side, 6 shots on first target, reload, 6 shots, reload, 6 shots, @ 7 yards.

01/06/17    60 minutes - Did some drills from the Learning Drills section of "Dry-Fire Training".

• Slowfire Trigger Control (pg 12), no par time.  Aiming at blank wall, align sights and press trigger without disturbing alignment.
  • Trigger Control at speed (pg 14), par time 1.2 seconds, 30 reps.  Break trigger without disturbing sights.
  • Draw Component Drills (pg 17), par time .7 seconds, 50 reps.  Hands at side, at beep draw and aim at target, @ 10 yards.  Set the timer at the goal time to try and push my speed a bit.  Not quite to the par time, yet.
  • Reload Component Drills (pg 20), par time 1.5 seconds, 57 reps.  The goal is 1.0 second, obviously not there, yet.  Start with pistol aimed at target, at signal eject magazine from gun and insert new one.  Get another sight picture on target @ 10 yards.
  • Transition Component Drills (pg 23), par time 2.2 seconds, 30 reps.  Hands at side, at signal engage each target (El Prez setup) with two rounds each.

01/07/17    60 minutes - Core USPSA Skills drills, again

• Reloads (pg 41), par time 8.5, 7.5, 7.0 seconds, 30 reps.
  • El Prez (pg 43), par time 6.0 seconds, 10 reps.
  • One-handed shooting SHO (pg 45), par time 3.0, 2.7 seconds, 30 reps.  2 rounds on each target (on El Prez setup).
  • Plate rack drills (pg 47), par time 3.0 seconds, 30 reps.  Plates @ 10 yards.
  • 90 degree transitions (pg 51), par time 2.0, 1.6 seconds, 30 reps @ about 7 yards from each target.  Engage each target twice.  I alternated which target I started with.  I tried to do this in "speed mode" so my hits were a little sloppy, but I concentrated on calling each of my sloppy hits.

01/08/17  Match at Paul Bunyan.  

• Rehearse stage better, including programming mind for Virginia Count
  • Don't ignore instincts, pick up shots and don't think about it
  • Call every shot
  • Practice swingers - timing and not having to shoot once per pass

01/09/17    60 minutes - Back to Core USPSA skills drills

• Bill Drill, par time 1.6 seconds, 98 reps.  I was getting it probably 1.8 seconds, not quite down to 1.6.  But the grip on my draw is getting more consistent.
  • Reloads, par time 7.0 seconds, 20 reps.
  • 90 degree transitions, par time 1.6 seconds, 40 reps.  Too fast for me, but pushes my speed.  If I point shoot I can make it.  With misses and deltas, I'm a little too slow.  
  • El Prez, par time 6.0 seconds, 10 reps.  I was beating the timer by at least 1.0 second.
  • Plate rack drills SHO & WHO, par time 3.0 seconds, 30 reps.
  • Trigger control long distance, no par time, 20 plus reps

WORK ON:  grip harder with off hand, get a good grip before leaving the holster, eyes before gun, trigger press with finger only, reloads need lots of work.

01/10/17    50 minutes

• Bill Drills, par time 1.6 seconds, 70 reps.  Got a few within the par time!
  • Plate Rack drills, par time 3.0 seconds, 20 reps.  First plate alignment was difficult.
  • Reloads, par time 7.0 seconds, 20 reps.
  • Draw with 2 reloads (not in dry-fire book), par time 4.5 seconds, 30 reps.  Draw to target, two shots, reload, two shots, reload, two shots.  @ 7 yards. 
  • One-handed shooting SHO par time 2.7, 2.2 seconds, 20 reps; WHO par time 2.8 seconds, 20 reps.
  • Slow-mo Reloads/Reloads with no par time.

01/11/17   Falling Plate Match and Dryfire

• several draw to one shot dryfire, and live fire
  • transitions between targets
  • grip was poor tonight.  Hands were getting tired 

01/12-01/15    Rest Days:  Birthday!  And had niece and nephew for the weekend.  I think I also dryfired on the 12th, but can't remember now.  

01/16/17    30 minutes  Core USPSA Skills drills

• BIll Drills, 1.6 sec, 30 reps
  • One handed shooting, 2.8 sec, 10 reps
  • Plate rack drills, 3.0 sec, 10 reps
  • Reloads, 7.0 sec, 10 reps
  • Draw with 3 reloads (not in dry-fire book), 7.0 sec, 20 reps

01/17/17  60 minutes

• Draw to one shot, 1.1 sec, 20 reps
  • Draw with 3 reloads, 7.0 sec, 30 reps
  • Draw with 3 reloads, 7.0 down to 6.0 sec, 40 reps
  • Bill Drill, 1.8 sec, 30 

01/18/17    60 minutes

• Warm Up:  Slo-mo draw, draw; slo-mo reloads, reloads
  • Bill Drill, 1.8 sec, 20 reps
  • Plate rack, 3.0 sec, 20 reps
  • Draw with 3 reloads, 6.0 sec, 50 reps
  • Draw with 3 reloads, 5.5 sec, 50 reps

01/19/17    135 minutes

Warm Up (No Timer)    60 minutes  Was just going to be a warm up, but ended up being an hour lol  Some of these I actually counted the reps, but for other drills I just did and then estimated.

• Dryfire on light swith.  Start at 5 feet, move across room.  Focus on nice clean trigger pull.  Add draw.  30 reps
  • Draws, a few slo-mo
  • Draws, hands up, 10 reps
  • Draws, hands at sides, 25 reps
  • Drawing and moving forward, 25+ reps
  • Drawing and moving left/right, 15+ reps
  • Draw to strong hand, 10 reps
  • Draw to weak hand, 10 reps
  • Turn and draw, 10 reps
  • Slow-mo reloads, 5 reps
  • Draw, Upper A, reload, lower A, 10 reps
  • Draw, upper A, step to reload to lower A (backing up), 15+ reps
  • Load to upper A, 7 yards, 20 reps
  • Turn and shoot, load, kneel, 10 reps
  • Draw from kneel, wrists above shoulders, 7 reps

USPSA Core Skills    75 minutes

• 90 degree transitions, 1.6 sec, 30 reps
  • Bill Drill, 1.6 sec, 60 reps
  • Draw to One Shot, 1.1 sec, 10 reps
  • Draw with 3 reloads, 5.5 sec, 10 reps
  • Draw with 3 reloads, 7.0--6.0 sec, 110 reps
  • Draw with 3 reloads, 6--5.5 sec, 22 reps
  • Ended the night with some long distance trigger control

WORK ON:  More aggressive mag slap, consistent grip on magazine before pulling from pouch, good trigger press.

01/20/17    30 minutes

• Warmed up with some trigger control and some shooting on the move.  Advancing on targets and retreating, shooting as I passed targets.  Paid attention to having little bounce in the sights, level when I shot.
  • Reloads, 7.0 sec, 10 reps
  • Reloads, 6.0 sec, 30 reps
  • Draw with 3 reloads, 5.5 sec, 10 reps
  • Trigger pull practice
  • Transitions
  • Attached pistol light and tested it out for tomorrow's night match

01/21/17    Night Match!!

01/22/17    Rest Day!

01/23/17    40 minutes

First cleaned my gun and changed out my recoil spring, striker spring, and rebound spring.  

• Draw, two shots on upper A, 1.5--1.3 sec seconds, 30 reps, @ 5 yards.  Could set par time a little lower.
  • Draw, par time 0.7 sec, 80 reps.  Draw and get a good sight picture on target @ 10 yards.(don't pull trigger).  Started getting it up on target with a good sight picture in time, but many of the times my support hand would have a poor grip.
  • Reload drills, par time 1.5--1.3 seconds, 60 reps.  Start with pistol aimed at target @ 10 yards.  At signal reload and get another sigh picture.  Having a hard time with mag release AND loading mag into magwell.  When I get one, I mess up the other.  Getting my mag up to the magwell before the beep, but then messing up the insertion.  Also practiced some of the reps starting without map to concentrate more on slapping the mag out of the pouch quickly.     
  • 90 degree transitions, no par time set.
  • Practiced shooting a target and then reloading leaving the position, and shooting another target several feet away.  Did it reloading left and then reloading going to the right.
  • Draw and shot while advancing and retreating, about 25 reps.

WORK ON:  On a fast draw, really need to concentrate on getting a proper grip with my support hand as well.  My grip out of the holster is feeling much more consistent than in the past, though :)  My mag release is so STIFF.  If I push up on the mag and then try the release, it is a smooth release, otherwise it is so hard to push.... look into if this can be fixed.

Edited by AlphaCharis

#drypewpewing

01/24/17    60 minutes

Didn't feel like I accomplished anything last night even though I was at it for an hour.  I had just woken from a nap, so maybe I was just still out of it a little.  Took me about 30 minutes to feel "warmed up" enough to do a decent reload.  Didn't get down to the par time I was at just before the weekend.  I felt a little frustrated, but kept at it; after the 30 minutes of fumbled magazines, I was doing a lot better.  Need to hit my mag release more consistently.  Felt like I was fumbling with that, so then didn't get down to my mags as fast.  Did some reloads just pointing at wall with no magazine, to practice trying to get down to mags fast.

Besides some timed stuff I did several reloads off the timer, and advancing and retreating at targets.  Also some reloads leaving positions.  I would like to do a longer session of reloads on the move this week and take it easy on static ones.  On a positive note, I'm getting callouses on my fingers and they hurt much less :)  I still have a split on one of my fingers that hasn't healed, but it's callous all around it lol

• Bill Drills, 1.8, 20 reps
  • Reloads (2 w/ 6 shots each), 6.5 sec, 10
  • Reloads (2 w/ 6 shots each), 6.0 sec, 35
  • Reloads (3 w/ 2 shots each), 6.5 sec, 10
  • Reloads (3 w/ 2 shots each), 6.0 sec, 40
  • Draw, 0.7 sec, 40.  Only hit the par a few times.  It was mostly around 0.8 seconds.  Need to stand in the exact position I will be when I draw, I think, to minimize wasted movement. 

Edited by AlphaCharis