Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me decide. New 3gun pistol sub $1500

boilermaker

I currently have a couple of block 17's and a couple of 1911's. I looking to get a competition ready 9mm to use for 3gun as well as maybe some other type comps. I've looked at everything from custom glocks, STI's, panther, para, etc. I'm kind of leaning towards the block due to parts availabilty and the fact just about any smith will know about them. How do you feel?

You could also say the same about the 5" M&P, which I think is a better gun than the Glock. I'll second the Tactical Sport if you want a race ready gun right out of the box. With a 9mm at minor or below, it shoots so flat it's almost like cheating. 0.1 sec splits are easy.

A tac sport in 40 is also a good option can download 40 to where it's very very manageable and still get 21 in mags with cz extensions ... This is a good option in case u wanted to shoot uspsa that way u can use same gun and shoot major power factor ... I happen to have one for sale with a full rig and mags :)

A tac sport in 40 is also a good option can download 40 to where it's very very manageable and still get 21 in mags with cz extensions ... This is a good option in case u wanted to shoot uspsa that way u can use same gun and shoot major power factor ... I happen to have one for sale with a full rig and mags :)

PM sent

I think I am up to...13 videos of "out of the box to match" guns. I have been going back through them trying to see

if one of them will do anything better than the Glock 17L for 3 gun. So far the Sig P320, Grand Power Xcal are looking good.

I really like the CZ 75 series ( I tested and own the 85B) so that is in the running too. I keep coming back the CZP09 for the

amazing value and 19 round mags. I just picked up a 2011 clone the SPS Pantera so we'll see where that fits in. OH and the Canik TP9 is one heck of a pistol too!

I have had TWO custom 2011's in my life and a couple of nice Para's...but I keep going back to...Glock.

2016 MAY see that change.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

If it's a plastic gun a somewhat different option would be the Walther ppq m2 competition. It's a 5 inch with extended slide, longer sight radius and has cool looking slide lightening cuts from the factory. Has the regular us style mag release, interchangeable back straps and a very decent out of the box trigger. And for USPSA it's production division legal.

Shoot your glock until you wear it out or you know exactly what you want based on your own preferences. Spend the money on ammo.

Is that possible? I've seen them with many many 10's of thousands of rounds through them still plugging along. I shot a 17L for a good while and it really is a great pistol for 3 gun. Switched to 6 inch 2011's, currently shooting an Atlas Gunworks with a steel grip. It is fantastic and I don't regret spending the money one bit. That being said, I shot the old Glock yesterday, and I wouldn't feel too disadvantaged shooting it full time. Keeping the Glock and shooting the crap out of it isn't a bad plan.

I had a Tac Sport for that purpose exactly and ended up selling it... I felt especially for minor or sub minor PF 9mm the slide was too heavy and made the recoil feel strange (to me) and the long dust cover made for more challenging transitions. I would probably say if you like the smaller grip of an SP01 go with one of those variants, but If you like the larger grips of the TS I would go with the Tanfo Limited, or even the stock II. The limited is slightly shorter over all than the TS and because it has a cone barrel the slide is slightly lighter. Both of those things are even more so with the stock II. Any of these DA/SA options can be easily converted to SAO if desired, and there are plenty of trigger and hammer parts available to improve the trigger feel itself. Not sure about mag capacity of the SP01 but the Large frame tanfo's can get to 24+1 I think when properly tuned at 141mm.