Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

for the newbies (like me!!!)

3quartertime

i hope this the place to post this,,,if not let me know,,,

i have a question for the newbies,,,

what class/gun are you shooting,,,how much do you dry fire practice,,,how hooked are you,,,where are we all located,,,

i got involved in this thru a friend,,,shot three matches this summer/fall,,,shot a 1911 copy called a randall my father gave me ( shouldn't have,,,its a limited production model,,,oops!!!),,,shot the next two with a g-19,,,i really sucked,,,but i had a great time,,,spent most of the summer working on the basics,,,( i have a range in my back yard!!!),,,shot an lda .45 a couple of weeks ago and found that i shoot a double stack 1911 frame way better than the glock,,,two days later i bought a p16-40 limited,,,i've shot approx. 150 rds so far ( its really cold in indiana now!!!),,,i love it,,,i'm really looking forward to shooting this summer,,,for the first time i come home and WANT to do my dry fire practice!!!

just wanted to know what the other newbies out there were doing,,,

3quartertime

Not sure if I still fall into the "newbie" category as I have been shooting IPSC in Canada for about 2 yrs now.  But since there are enough guys out there (Like Pat H.) who have been shooting since the early 90's that I still feel like a newbie!

I started off shooting a Glock 22 and liked the feel right away.  Tried a Para 16-40 limited but it just didn't feel right, but wanted some better competition type features so bought a G35, which I absolutely love and have been shooting ever since.  I recently tried an SVI as well, but I found the only real advantage was the smoothness of the trigger and the abundance of add on parts.  So, I have stuck with the G35 for now and will wait until I win the lotto to buy a new SVI.

As for classifications, I have only shot a few USPSA classifiers so far and they were mostly last year when I was really a "newbie"(they do not hold too many classifiers in Canada and have not made it to a match in the US yet, yet am hoping to do so next summer) So, right now I am classified as "C" in USPSA.  In Canada I managed to "sneak" into "A" class this year, which really surprised me (but I will take it!).

As for practice, I hate to say it but I don't really practice that much. To me, getting out to as many local matches as possible is my practice.  You begin to see how better shooters approach stages, and hone your skills in real competition scenarios, which helped me the most.  Besides, the more lead down range the better! Taking the RO course also helped.  You learn a lot by actually knowing the rules, besides the fact that you are helping your club out by volunteering!

I hope you get out to lots of matches, and enjoy this as much as I do.  Too me, this is the best game out there!    

• 1 month later...

I guess this is as good a place as any to introduce myself as the newest forum member. I am a total newb to shooting as well as to practical shooting.

I shoot a 9mm CZ 75B. It is my first and so far, only, gun. I have been shooting for just about a year now and participating in local club mini-matches every tuesday night for about the last five months. I have participated in one full blown outdoor match as a visiting new shooter.

Funds have been really tight for me this past year and I have yet to commit to buying another gun. I decided to go for a Dillon RL550B before buying another gun. I am shooting about 250 rounds a week and the reloading should help to make it more affordable. The press arrived yesterday and I have been fully engrossed in setting and tweaking since.

My best friend had taken up shooting as a hobby and invited me along knowing fully that I would be hooked after the first day. When I decided to by my own gun, having no knowledge and little shooting experience, I opted for the only gun I had shot as i knew I would be comfortable with it. I realize that it may not be the desired choice of many IPSC shooters, but I am absoutely in love with its feel and balance and have come to learn that it is a very well respected and highly praised gun.

After discovering Practical Shooting on the bulletin board of my local Police Pistol Club range, I ran an internet search on the those words and lo and behold, this was one of the many sites I stumbled upon. I quickly snapped up a copy of PS: Beyond Fundamentals and some Slide Glide while absorbing a wealth of knowledge from these forums.

I have held off joing USPSA and acquiring a ranking until I can participate in a few more full outdoor matches. The Tuesday night indoor mini matches are more for fun and comraderie than serious competition.

Well, this was just a chance to say hello and introduce myself. I am sure you will be seeing many posts from me in the future as I seek to pick the brains of more knowledgable and experienced shooters. The people in my local club, the Tampa Bay Suncoast Pistol Club, are much like many of the people posting here appear to be; friendly, accomodating, and more than willing to help a new shooter learn the ropes. This kind of treatment from the old timers is just the thing to help a newbie stay excited about participating.

Welcome Dunedain,  This is the best site to join in to become a better shooter.  Not to mention a bunch of great people hang out here.  The first piece of advise is to join USPSA and when your in the mood help support this forum by donating or purchase something from BE. I think there maybe some others here from your area too.

Good Shooting

Well, I did buy Brian's book and a tub of slide glide some months back. But, I don't want to be a deadbeat, so I ordered his video on competition reloading today. I really have to learn how to get the most out of my new Dillon press.

I'll join USPSA next payday and that way I can start thinking about attending some qualifier matches in the near future.

I got really lucky and hooked up with someone who has a lot of experience. He is an IPSC GM with over 10 years in the sport. Aside from having extra gear I can borrow or try out before I buy, he has been an excelent teacher of both the mental as well as physical parts of shooting. He has been able to save me 1,000's of $ and hours of time by narrowing down decisions to 2 or 3 options, mostlty based on $'s or feel. He also knows everyone, which is neat too :)  See if you can do the same.

Wow! I should be so lucky. Unfortunately, I learn most things the hard way by trial and error, because I'm usually too stupid to think to ask someone. Hopefully, these forums will help me break out of that mold. But, seriously, I have learned a lot from the guys at the local club. Some of them have attended Frank Garcia's course at nearby Frostproof. I am setting a goal of attending a class there in the next year.

welcome dunedain!!!

i can tell your hooked by the sport, and you've probably found that this forum is a wealth of info, be sure to check the archives before you post a question,  no one likes answering the same question over and over again.  i made that mistake,  save yourself the bruises.  i recently ordered a chrono and timer from brian myself,  it was cool talking to him on the phone.  guess i expected a secretary or something.

i greatly second the advise from warpspeed.  i too have met up with a master shooter.  he has help myself and a friend immeasurably.  just kind of hooked up with him one day.  we came early to help set up a match.  that might be a good time to meet someone really involved.  that match was the funnest i've been to and working with him has helped me more than i can say.  also the knowledge the he has about products has assured my alot.  i have a p16-40 ltd that i'm setting up for limited this year.   many of the better shooters don't think much of the paras.  this was bad for me as i spent my wad on it.  but the master i met was shooting the same gun.  he has taught me how to make it run right and helped me get it as competative as it and i can be.  i recently spent $1000 on stuff to get set up, ( ie...belt, holster,  mag pouches,  high cap mags and bases, gunsmithing, etc... ).  no way i would have spent that with out some help.

my humble opinion is,,,dry fire practice is a large part of this sport.  when you find a rig that fits you you will WANT to practice.  at least this has been true for me.  

good luck!!!

p.s.  i really like the feel of a cz too!!!   if yours is like the others i've shot you probably wouldn't waste money on a decent trigger job.  ( just my .02 )  

I'm a fairly new shooter as well.  I started shooting IDPA last year in July and USPSA in December.  I'm a CDP and ESP Sharpshooter in IDPA and a C class in IPSC.

I got a wild hair and decided to get my CCL (Tx) and figured if I was going to carrry a gun, I should know how to use it.  I bought a Kimber Pro CDP (looked nice =) ) and showed up to my first IDPA match the next weekend.  I got my a$$ handed to me.  One of the guys suggested I take some lessons .. so I did =)

I got hooked up with a Master Class shooter who had won the match that day and I've been hooked ever since!!

I now shoot a Commander Length SVI 9mm (bought it before I got into IPSC) and a Springfield Loaded .45.  I load my own .45 and shoot good ole Blazer 9mm (at $84/1000 who wants to reload!).

I currently try and dry fire practice 3-5 days a week, depending on work and my wife, and shoot a match every weekend (IDPA or IPSC).

I'm still training with the same Master Class shooter and his family (all GREAT shooters) and have been able to see a noticable difference nearly every match.  I have my first Major match in 2 weeks and I can't wait!  (Shirley Skinner Foundation match in Waco Tx).

I read these boards every day and try to apply what I learn each time I'm at the range.  My shooting pals think I'm crazy because I always have knew wacky ideas to try thanks to the guys here =)

I read Brian's book last summer before I got started shooting and pretty much had the reaction of "What?".  I started reading it again 2 weeks ago and it all seems to make sense now!

And yes, I talk more than I type... heaven help us!

BradC

A46143

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot IDPA with a Glock 17 or a CZ75B. I also shoot Combat Matches at GPGC with a Ruger GP100. In combat shoot everybody is limited to 6 shoots before reloading. I also shoot a 22 match which uses both pistol and rifle - Ruger 22/45 and 10.22. So you could say that my only sanctioned shooting is IDPA.

Thanks,

Coop

• 1 month later...

Well, OK...Hello!

My first shot ever from a real-live-gun was an M16A2 issued at boot camp.  I enjoyed shooting a lot in the Corps, and made my way onto the Marine Rifle Team eventually, and spent the best summer of my life shooting at Quantico and Camp Perry.  

Got into action pistol because highpower rifle is logistically intensive (how many of you have a 600 yard range nearby??)

Shot my first IDPA match in 1998 in San Diego with my Kimber Gold Match in .45.  Took a hiatus when I left the Corps and came to Indiana for graduate school, and started back up again shooting IPSC and IDPA at ranges near Bloomington, IN.  Still shooting my Kimber, and sometimes my Kahr P-9 carry gun in IDPA.  

Shooting a pistol is kinda strange...I'm certified as a master in highpower rifle and long range highpower...no problem putting rounds in the black at 1000 yards using iron sights, but at my first IDPA classifier last month I shot a marksman score, just about 1 second away from sharpshooter.  :)

Been dry firing about 3 nights a week lately, and shooting only at matches (closest range I know of is over an hour away) once or twice a month.

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

• 2 weeks later...

I just joined USPSA and have yet to see my first classifier posted yet.  Before that I shot IDPA and an unaffliated IDPA/USPSA type match for a couple of years.

I dry fire about 3 times per week, try to compete at least twice a month, and fire around 600 rounds a week in practice.  

I'm guessing if I don't stop screwing up the classifier stage I 'll be in "C" class.  

I'm so new to USPSA that my first glimpse of one of those "dropping, turning" targets resulted in a pair of misses.  It didn't help that I was first to shoot the stage.

With some advice from fellow shooters, I managed a respectable showing on a pair of swingers last month.  Both had a head-sized piece of steel positioned above a no-shoot as an activator.  This also caused a target to appear behind the activator.  After much worry I manage an A/C on each swinger.  

I love steel plates for some reason.

I plan on improving now that I have a supply of functioning 10 round mags for my L-10 Colt(.45 auto).  Those 8 round mags leave me dry at the worst moments...

egads:o

I am pretty far from a newbie but want to welcome you to one of my addictions. I shoot a STI 38 super Open, a SV 40 Limited/L10, a Sig 226 Production. A rem 1100 Open shotgun, and a Eagle Arms AR-15 Open. I have been shooting a long time and still try to dry fire every other day if I want to win. The best advice I can give is see if the Best shooter in your area will let you pick their brain. It will save you years of frustration and thousands of $$. This forum is pretty good too.

I started shooting IPSC/PPSA about a year ago and i currently use a CZ75compact (jr) in production. I'm thinking of getting an HK USP or Sig P226 beause decocking the hammer by hand give me the creeps.

(Edited by ian g at 8:57 pm on May 13, 2002)

(Edited by ian g at 9:01 pm on May 13, 2002)

I shoot steel with an H&K P7M13 9mm. It's a freak gun and very, very, very accurate. I shoot IPSC revolver class with a S&W 625 .45ACP. I'd shoot production with my M13, but if you know how much the mags cost...Man, I couldn't torture the gun like that by dropping the mags in sand, or on concrete.

Planning on standard/Limited class, but haven't figured out yet what to buy.

• 1 month later...

I got into shooting sports just last March. So far, I've shot 2 IDPA and 1 IPSC club level matches using a single stack 1911. I want to do more IPSC standard class shooting, and a hi-cap 1911 is in order.

Its great this thread has continued so long.  I see people at matches alot that I would like to ask what they are shooting or what equipment they have, but I just don't get the chance.  It would be cool to have some veterans post with thier specific set up so us newer guys have an idea which way to head.  I see fellas at matches with mix match setups,  skate board tape all over thier equipment,  but sometimes you just don't get a chance to ask about it.

Ok an update from the eternal newbie.  I'm still shooting the blued p-16 ltd in limited.  I had the trigger done locally to a smooth crisp 2 lbs. or so.  Dawson .090 optic front site.  Dawson 'Ice' magwell.  I'm using sti for para replacement tubes with Dawson + base pads.  Its been a great set up and I've enjoyed it vastly.  Recently broke an ejector and replaced it with a standard length sti part,  after some fitting it works great.  Also I recently replaced the plastic mag release with a ss para one.  I clipped a few off the spring to make the release easier too.

I bought a used p-16 ltd. ss for a back up a few months back.  It had a broken the extractor when I bought it so we put an aftec springed one in.  Works great, no fitting.  It's set up much like my blue one.  The exeption would be an S&A magwell instead of Dawsons,  Ed Brown wide thumb safteys( which I really like and am planning on ordering and having installed on the blue one) and a .125 front optic.  

I've started to have the parts fitted to combine the two and have two duo tone opposite mirror copies.  Both have skate board tape on the front strap and in front of the slide pin left side,  to help with the grip.  Its a fun project and both of the 'twins' as I call them are doing fine!!!

I'm using a cr speed holster with versa hanger on a safari land belt system with 771's.  It's not the top of the line set up but its working great for me now.   You'll know if you see me as I think I'm the only one that opted for the 'neon green'  holster color!!!

Sorry for the long post.  Just figured if I started this thing I should take a few and be specific too!!!

OK, I shot a Glock 26 subcompact for my first few matches last year (against D. Thomas's best advice). Got a ittle Christmas cash and bought a G34 to shoot in production because I still didn't want to spend alot of money. Then I met this Master shooter who let me shoot his Para P16 set up for Limited. Sold all my Glocks to buy it. Nice gun, made a 100 yard shot with it once, first try. Things turned a little weird, decided to go back to Glock. Sold the Para to a pal (the "mirror image" Para's was my idea, BTW, they DO look cool). Just shot my first match with a G35 set up by Matt at Custom Glock Racing. Shot a lot better than I thought I did.  Oh, the money? If you are careful, and addicted like me, you can find a way to justify it.

• 4 months later...

I am shooting a Para with a SS Caspian slide, Wilson 2 port comp and an Aimpoint 5000 on a Weigand carbon fiber mount. I sold one gun and swapped another to make it happen. It came with brass, dies, loaded ammo, Ernie hill holster, etc. The gun was pretty ugly, and WAY loose, But my R.O. said it all at the end of my first stage with the gun. He announced that I had finally shot a whole magazine without a malfunction, and started the round of applause......  Three coats of Brownells teflon/moly to all friction points, and you can hardly hear it rattle when I draw!! I gotta admit, old tech was cool.

• 2 weeks later...

What I shoot is a 45. springfield champion. I have a mag well on it. I have a follow through. I also a well shot with both eyes open. My right eye to look at the sight. The left to look at the target. When I draw I put the sight on the target which I am looking at with my left eye.

Raven02003

Not to contradict you, but the eyes cannot focus on but ont thing at a time, and unless you are some Super Hero with powers from beyond the Earth, it is not possible to focus on two things at the same time.  Even if you are trying to look at one thing with one eye and another with the other eye.

You may think you can, but my eye doc and I would dispute it.