Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10x Fixed Power Scopes . Why?

JimmyZip

I believe a fixed 10x was the standard issue scope for military snipers for a long while. When the military uses something, many copies are made and sold to civilians. People buy the crap because the military uses it, even if the gear sucks, which it often does.

As mentioned, the military used fixed 10x scopes sucessfully for many years so i suspect that was a large part of the popularity.

Another thing to consider is there's no consideration for first or second focal plane, so you won't need to worry about the distance between the mil dots changing. It makes it pretty simple once you learn where you need to hold.

Once I'm through spending all my money on competition expenses, I plan to put a fixed power scope on my .308 bolt action. I like the fact that it's simple both in function and construction, just like my rifle. It's primarily a range gun, and it seems like whenever I put a scope on it, It just gets rotated up to max power and stays there, so putting a fixed power with quality glass on it makes sense. From what I understand, that Bushnell Elite 10x is a quality scope, even if it's not "high dollar": it's on my short list of candidates. If my memory serves correctly, I think the glass is from Baush & Lomb.

Edited by jkrispies

I'd really like to see what Burris or Vortex could do with a fixed power using more modern designs and/or materials and processes. Maybe a 10x in a 34 or 30mm tube with a side focus, paired with a nice MOA reticle and lots of room for vertical adjustment via quality knobs. Something like a fixed power XTR.

About a year ago, I sent an email to Vortex asking if they had any plans to do that, maybe by simplifying one of their already existing PST tubes, and they said there weren't any plans to make it happen, but it is a commonly recurring request from customers.

The Bushnell 10x Mil-Dot is a nice little scope for the money. I have one on a Savage .22 that I practice with. Believe it or not, 10x is enough to shoot long range with. 1000yd is possible but it's a bit much.

Using it mounted on a tripod to practice Mil-Dot target ranging. Use it as a poor mans spotting scope. Decorate the Christmas tree with it.

Burris did in fact make a 10x xtr a few years ago. They have since been discontinued. You might find one used......

IOR valdada and us optics make fantastic 10x scopes, which are nearly indestructible. Expensive yes, but well worth it.

On a budget you might want to check out the SWFA super sniper 10x. Starting at around $300 they are a bargin indeed!

Burris did in fact make a 10x xtr a few years ago. They have since been discontinued. You might find one used......

d!

I will keep an eye out for it. Never heard of it. Did a quick search on this forum and eBay but came up dry. Will definitely look harder when I'm ready to scope that bolt action though.

Less money, less complex, less parallax, more durable.

This. I put a SWFA SS 10x on a .308 and .223 AR build that I don't shoot beyond 400 yards so far, target only. Very clear glass and you learn to range with the mildots on the reticle.