Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Men Gone

John Heiter

I'm not a Catholic, but I still find myself troubled tonight by the imminent departure of the Pope John Paul II. On the one hand I see a man who has led a long and dignified life who is coming to a natural conclusion and that's fine, but on the other I see someone who has meant so much to so many and done so much good in the world and I hate to see him go. I worry that there just aren't that many men of his caliber left these days and it's going to be hard to find anyone who will occupy a position of such influence and authority with the same benevolence.

I'm a Roman-Catholic and wanted to start a topic on this, but Patches you're first so I'm just reacting.

Our Holy Father is about to die, indeed a man of caliber is going to die, God bless his soul.

He's the one leading a billion people+ towards the future, including me. I am liberal in my thoughts but JP II did a lot of good things for this Church.

I'll miss him when he departes.

I dislike the idea of having an Italian Pope and hope for a Latin-American Pope ('cause the majority of Roman-Catholics live there) with new ideas for the future!

Rhino?

While I'm neither religious or Catholic, I feel that the world has suffered a great loss. Pope John Paul II inspired millions, if not billions, and he stood up against the two great evils of the 20th Century (if not all human history), Nazism and Communism. Lots of people talk about human rights, freedom and dignity but few ever really act on it. He did, again and again. We are diminished.

It is a shame that he has passed and may God rest his soul, but it might just be a blessing in disguise for some real progress into the future we need to create if we want to live well on this mudball we call home.

On the flip side of reality, this will now allow the Catholic Church to get their stance on birth control squared away with logic and common sense if they make a progressive move with their next choice of Pope.

--

Regards,

This particular pontiff was hip to the media and hip to marketing the church to the youth in order to perpetuate the phenomenon. He was likely one of the world's most traveled popes and seemed to enjoy the experience.

Despite his engaging personality and sincerely gentle and charismatic ways with people, he remained stubbornly conservative on issues of profound concern to many Catholics and non-Catholics alike. The Vatican needs to come out of its cave and meet the needs of the contemporary world--and soon. It also needs to clamp down, widespread-like, on the priesthood at large after the massive sex scandals that have drenched the church in harsh light. Otherwise, he was kind of a nice guy, for a Pope. (But don't get me started on Pope Pius XII.)

You gotta admit, though, that John Paul did live for a long time--and reigned for a long time--and may've been the only Pope some people ever knew.

I'm not a Catholic, but I still find myself troubled tonight by the imminent departure of the Pope John Paul II.  On the one hand I see a man who has led a long and dignified life who is coming to a natural conclusion and that's fine, but on the other I see someone who has meant so much to so many and done so much good in the world and I hate to see him go.  I worry that there just aren't that many men of his caliber left these days and it's going to be hard to find anyone who will occupy a position of such influence and authority with the same benevolence.

Patches:

I am Catholic but I could have not stated your comment better than you did.

Last Saturday The Armies of the Heavens welcomed home their Commander from this post. A Great Soldier of God has gone to His Father.

Holy Father Karol, continue to watch over us.

It's sad that many people are like me...

Only now learning more about this man the world called Pope.

A very, very humbling experience...

Today on the radio a caller said something interesting. The Pope was a teacher, this week he may be teaching the world it's greatest lesson...

Despite his engaging personality and sincerely gentle and charismatic ways with people, he remained stubbornly conservative on issues of profound concern to many Catholics and non-Catholics alike.  The Vatican needs to come out of its cave and meet the needs of the contemporary world--and soon.  It also needs to clamp down, widespread-like, on the priesthood at large after the massive sex scandals that have drenched the church in harsh light.  Otherwise, he was kind of a nice guy, for a Pope.  (But don't get me started on Pope Pius XII.) 

You gotta admit, though, that John Paul did live for a long time--and reigned for a long time--and may've been the only Pope some people ever knew.[/color]

I agree with what you say, but in fair context, the RCC is such a massive institution abrupt change is impossible. This pope did some amazing things: he publicly apologized for the vatican's role in aiding the Nazi murderers escape justice after WWII (well documented, never acknowledged by the RCC before then).

I agree the RCC's response to the pedophile plague (and the local churches hiding the predators and intimidating the victims into silence) was shameful. In that case, I think the pope was probably sheltered from thr facts and never knew the truth... in fact the church's bizarre public position that the child molestation problem was caused by "gays infilitrating the ranks of priests" reveals an ignorance not of this century.

On the whole, this was a pretty good pope and a lot better than most IMO.

On the whole, this was a pretty good pope and a lot better than most IMO

Very true, his good deeds did outweigh the downsides to his term and that is not a bad job in anyones book. It's time to see if the Roman Catholic juggernaut can change it's course another degree or two towards the reality we all live in.

--

Regards,