Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3G lightweight build?

Mike41

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pat,

The reason for the lightweight build is that I have a very small son with spaghetti arms and he just can't hold my rifle up by himself for any length of time and stay very steady. Most of local matches are just bay stages with a very occasional 200 yds target. So I am going shorter on the barrel, 14.5 + comp to 16", going with a dot type sight like a Sparc or something like that. Was thinking the lighter upper/ lower would help but if I am reading between the lines the quality or reliability may not be there with ones I have considered as the application is 3 gun where we are dumping guns in a barrel and I need things breaking on me. Was thinking about the KMR 13" handguard and an ACE ultra light stock also.

Suggestions or advice for what I am trying to achieve here?

Telling my son to lift weights or he will grow up is not the answer as he is just very small at 15 (size of most 12 year olds). Probably won't get much bigger and I don't want to lose his interest now.

I have enjoyed all the post and appreciate everyone's advice.

Thanks,

Mike

Pat you should have PM'd him about the trigger donation! I suddenly feel compelled to mention the rifle my 9 year old and I are building....

Too late. I only have one I can spare. My trigger sponsor sponsor didn't feel I did enough for them to keep me.

Pat you should have PM'd him about the trigger donation! I suddenly feel compelled to mention the rifle my 9 year old and I are building....

Too late. I only have one I can spare. My trigger sponsor sponsor didn't feel I did enough for them to keep me.
I was only half serious. Way to reel in the next generation of 3 gunners though!

When did you grab that story you linked because at 6:43pm EST on 26 December 2015 the rifle has a different listed configuration. It is as follows:

Notice that the compensator and rail are both different. I have to wonder how much involves sponsorship or other affililation arrangements between either Mr. or Mrs. Horner. Or perhaps it's more chasing performance? BTW, I've been on the same squad as Mrs. Horner and had many opportunities to interact with her socially at the match. I didn't know who she was. She was very nice and seemed approachable, well-grounded, etc. So, I don't mean for my comments to be misinterpreted as negative against either of them.

Proof barrels in their AR profiles and lengths suited for 3-gun are not significantly lighter than all steel versions. Once you get to 20"+ lengths for 308 and related calibers you begin to see more significant savings. For long bolt gun barrels it can be very impressive. Just ask Proof yourself, like I did.

In the end, I'm really only posting since the list you showed as coming from the article and the one I read a few minutes ago have those small differences. I found that odd and unexpected.

Know what, I goofed up. I grabbed the list from another site then linked the article to her homepage. If I had used my own link, would have shown the equipment list you have

I got one of these for Christmas, in orange (just the receiver set). I wanted something lighter weight and a touch redicilious for a second gun, for short range stuff. I did see one used at FNH this year by someone one my squad. Ran great and I don't think the owner babied it at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my order of Mag Tactical Lowers in and I'm very impressed with their quality and fit. I heard the new generation was supposed to be good. And they're definitely the nicest lowers I've put my hands on. Time will tell how they hold up, but I'm not to worried about them. I also got them at a very good price! I'd definitely order them again