Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

International Competitors

PPGMD

Word on the street is that the ATF is requiring personalized competitor invitations and for you to be actually signed up before application to get approval to temporarily import your guns for a match.

I am not sure that the NRA Pistol Programs knows this yet, as I didn't see anything about it. So I would get on them about this once the Christmas break is over.

This is off the ATF website, the requirements have not changed since 2003 (My first trip) and I understand talking to others may have been in place since middle 1990's. Others can confirm those dates better.

The invite has to be dated the year you intend to travel to the US, usually previous international competitors would have had their invite to the next Bianchi Cup in hand already. That way we can apply as at January 1 to the ATF to get the procedure underway. Last year mine took less than 3 weeks to come back approved.

ATF F 5330.3D (Form 6 NIA) ? Application and Permit for Temporary Importation of Firearms and Ammunition by Nonimmigrant Aliens

Download ATF F 5330.3D (Form 6 NIA)

• White, form used by nonimmigrant aliens for temporary importation.
  • Form must be submitted with a valid hunting license from any U.S. state, or an invitation/registration to compete in a qualified competitive shooting event or exhibit firearms or ammunition at a qualified sports/hunting trade show. 27 CFR § 478.100.
  • Permit is valid for one year from approval date. Nonimmigrant aliens may enter U.S. multiple times as long as their hunting license or permit, or invitation/registration is valid at the time of entry into to the U.S. Only the firearms, ammunition, and other articles approved on the Form 6 NIA may be imported.

This was reported to me via an USPSA contact a couple of months ago. In USPSA it is common for the matches that have any draw from international competitors to just put up a generic invitation that the competitors can download and use. But apparently the ATF has stopped accepting those, the letters have to be addressed to the specific competitor. So if that is what the NRA was already providing you are good to go.

I have friends whom goto to IPSC / USPSA matches in the USA on a regular basis, and have always had to follow the procedure GM IProd has posted.

Its nothing new. I know of some friends whom had the generic ones rejected before in early 2002. So some MD, simple put up a generic invitation, with a blank space for your name and you just filled it in. Which you could easily do in PDF since 2002.

Especially in Asia here, you cant even get an export permit for your firearms from the Police unless you can show the invitation with your name on it.

Cheers ....