Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Virtues of the GADPA target

ArrDave

GADPA.jpg

So I finally made it out to a GADPA shoot (new defensive pistol sport that basically blends USPSA and IDPA, and has possibly the most inclusive division list I'm aware of. Long story short, IDPA dudes can shoot like IDPA, USPSA dudes can shoot like USPSA, although there's not a "production" equivalent, it's basically limited.).

So you can see the scoring zones above, it's time plus points scoring with each point being a half second. The scoring mechanism is a little more contrived than USPSA or IDPA, so I won't really get into that, but the target is incredibly challenging. The 3" circle in the head box is a zero, and the 1-2" stripe vertically is a zero, and the small circle in center mass is minor zero, and the outer circle is the major zero.

I ran at a typical (for me) match pace, and most shots were within the major zero, however I was shooting minor, so I ended up probably dropping 5+ points for having rounds land inside the major zero but not inside the minor zero. Really makes it interesting.

I don't think any clubs outside of GA will be running these matches any time soon, but I have to say it's an enjoyable way to get some trigger time.

I'll bite. What are the virtues?

it's pretty easy to hit the major circle at speed, the small circle takes aiming.

Once they get a few patches on those circular perforations it will become rather difficult to tell if a shot is within the area. The advantage of using straight lines is that it becomes easier to make calls when tape is covering part of the line.

I won't argue that part. This photo is also high contrast, these targets actually have the shallowest perfs that are pretty much impossible to see beyond about 7 yards, so aiming is a trick. Plus the zero is higher up on the chest.

They say "gad puh". Was a big IDPA club until they held a major match in 2014 requiring the validation of everyone's classifier, like 20% of people had lapsed by the day of the shoot so HQ and them had a tiff and now there is a new shooting sport. Interesting hybrid of USPSA and IDPA, you can rock your Timmy carry gear complete with lights and dots but must use concealment, or you can shoot limited(competition) or open with minimal gear rules. Uses foot fault lines. A single zero neutralizes a target so you can aim hard and shoot once or two hits in the 1 or three hits in the D/2 zone neutralize a target. Non threat hits scale 3 /5 / 10 seconds depending on where they are hit. No stepping on fault lines. Major and minor in all divisions. Very permissive and encouraging stage design rules

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

It's definitely interesting. I have had the opportunity to shoot with a few GADPA shooters when they come over the AL for the major matches. I knew they had withdrawn from IDPA, and were using a different system. I was thinking they were using the scoring system PASS (I think?)

I like it and think it would be fun to shoot. I also think you would quickly catch on to the rules, because they are probably pretty sensible in regards to what shooters want.

Hello: I still need to shoot one of those matches here. I may have to make a notebook on the scoring the first time I shoot it? Thanks, Eric

Scoring isn't that hard, if there is one hit in a zero the target is zero, otherwise add up points.

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

• 2 weeks later...
Scoring isn't that hard, if there is one hit in a zero the target is zero, otherwise add up points.

Except it requires 2 hits on paper if your best is a -1, or 3 hits if your best is -2, unless your -1 is a head hit, then you are ok with only 1 on paper. A single hit in the major ring goes from -0 to -6 when they forget you are shooting major and can't remember how to score their own targets. Also for every stage, for every target during the walkthrough, someone asks, "Can I engage this one static?"

Except it requires 2 hits on paper if your best is a -1, or 3 hits if your best is -2, unless your -1 is a head hit, then you are ok with only 1 on paper. A single hit in the major ring goes from -0 to -6 when they forget you are shooting major and can't remember how to score their own targets. Also for every stage, for every target during the walkthrough, someone asks, "Can I engage this one static?"

I've only shot 2 GADPA matches now, but the fault lines made it pretty self explanatory on where you could shoot static vs. on the move. We didn't have any issues with scoring but I understand the potential there.

I've only shot 2 GADPA matches now, but the fault lines made it pretty self explanatory on where you could shoot static vs. on the move. We didn't have any issues with scoring but I understand the potential there.

I agree, it should be self explanatory about static vs on the move, yet without fail I would get in the same squad with people that couldn't work it out, and probably aren't competent to handle a firearm.

I've shot a few of the GADPA matches this year. Its fun and different and the scoring really isn't as complicated as it sounds. I do like how they did the min / maj scoring so you can shoot limited minor and still be very competitive.

• 4 months later...