Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Precision Front Sight Wrong Set Screw

NacsMXer

So I finally got mine mounted... The Original set screw did NOT want to come out... Actually needed an EZ-out to remove it.

My slide wasn't drilled as deep as most pics shown here. A piece of lead shot wouldn't likely have worked as well for me.

I used some heavy duty epoxy putty to fill the hole, and some Loctite 680.

Mine tapped in pretty tightly (I did sand down the bottom of the sight just enough to remove the blueing and maybe give the Loctite more surface area to grab.

Waited till the epoxy was probably 98% cured and tightened the set screw into it.

We will see how well this works.

Just an update, but I shot around 200 rounds through mine yesterday with the new sight and it hasn't moved a bit.

When I tapped the sight in with a rubber hammer, I noticed it shaved off a couple fine slivers of metal off each side of the sight as it went in. I wasn't even tapping on it all that hard either, but I bet that is helping the sight stay put that much more. It didn't seem to bother the dovetail in the slide one bit. I've read of similar experiences here from other members as well.

The Dawson sight dovetail measured exactly the same as the factory Tanfoglio sight using my digital calipers, so I didn't think fitting would be necessary. Looks like just some minor sanding like IronArcher did is all that would be needed.

I did 3 Dawson sights yesterday. Two S2's and a lim pro all the set screw divots were there, NOT drilled out all the way.

Interestingly, one went in hard and the other two were pretty loose. Dab of "glue", hope they hold.

Would it be easier to put some solder into that dimple?

Hey, that's not a bad idea. I'm going to give that a try when I get some time to fit my new Dawson sight. A drop of solder in the hole and a little red loctite on the bottom of the sight should do the trick.

What I did to get my Dawson front sight to stop moving (it never fell off or out), was put a very small amount of red loctite in the dove tail and a bit on the set screw.

I tried blue loctite and it did not hold.

Tried the blue twice and the red finally held.

• 7 months later...

I know this is a old thread, but I joined today after I found this thread. 

I have the same issue on a limited.  It wasn't all the way through, but with minimal torque it went through. 

Has anyone called EAA about this? When I did I was told that they had never heard of this before.

I will probably use lead shot as others have done unless anyone has come up with something better. Any updates on guns fixed this way? Wasn't very happy about this ,( or the way eaa treated me about it) but at least I now know the hole being there isn't a concern since some came with it from the factory already there. 

20 minutes ago, 01Deuce said:

I know this is a old thread, but I joined today after I found this thread. 

I have the same issue on a limited.  It wasn't all the way through, but with minimal torque it went through. 

Has anyone called EAA about this? When I did I was told that they had never heard of this before.

I will probably use lead shot as others have done unless anyone has come up with something better. Any updates on guns fixed this way? Wasn't very happy about this ,( or the way eaa treated me about it) but at least I now know the hole being there isn't a concern since some came with it from the factory already there. 

I haven't had a problem since I installed the little lead disc.  The key is to have a little bit of metal on the bottom of the hole in the slide to support the lead disc.  Did yours make a clean even hole, or do you still have some metal around the perimeter of the hole where the screw punched through?  After flattening the lead BB, try to fit it to the hole as closely as possible.  Best of luck.

It was protruding a little, but not all the way through. The other thing I noticed was it tapers down like a drill bit so that must be why there aren't issues with the larger factory set screw and why the shot works because the hole is larger at the top and it won't go through the smaller  hole on the bottom. 

I also have the Dawson sight on a Stock III with no issues. No cone barrel on those and it looks like the slide is much thicker in the same spot. 

Edited by 01Deuce

Just now, 01Deuce said:

It was protruding a little, but not all the way through. The other thing I noticed was it tapers down like a drill bit so that must be why there aren't issues with the larger factory set screw and why the shot works because the hole is larger at the top and it won't go through the smaller  hole on the bottom. 

That's exactly how mine was.  You should be good to go then with the lead shot.  I was able to fit it to the diameter of the hole and then shave the thickness of it so that it sat just below flush.  I was then able to tap in the new Dawson sight right over the top of it with no interference.

I got mine finished. I did it a little different. I had a flattened out 7 1/2 shot in and got paranoid about how soft it was. Instead I cut the tip off a small brass punch, flattened it out some and shaped it with a small file. Then I gently tapped into into the hole with another brass punch. The brass was soft enough to make a nice fit and hard enough to be able to tighten the set screw as tight as I wanted without pushing through or even bending the brass at all. 

I lightly sanded the  bottom of a new sight and used 690 green loctite  on the dovetail, sight & set screw. I contemplated using blue loctite on the set screw instead of green, but just used the green for everything. 

I will shoot it this weekend and hope this will be a permanent fix. 

My DP front sight was a pretty loose fit. I could push it all the way into the dovetail by hand. I used some aluminum foil as a shim under the front sight. It's tight enough to the point that I had to tap the sight in with a mallet. Mine came with 2 set screws, I used the second screw as a lock screw on top of the first screw along with some blue loctite on both.