Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stolen Trophy

tightloop

MASTERLEFTY

When you hog out the bottom so the projectile only weighs 150 or so grains, you can make 875fps with 4.1....and a 6" bbl... :D

Masterlefty, you have got to understand that you still claimed the bullet weight at 200 gr when shot over the crono.

I started in 86, and one of the first matches was in the Hill Country west of Austin.

They would put up a post and shoot at it with a three gun team (handgun, rifle,

shotgun). Fastest to cut it down, won. I remember Chippy driving into the range in

an old beater pick up that had seen better days.

Shot a lot with Dixon around Houston. He taught me it's not the splits, it's the

transitions that win the stage. I think it was 88 when he finished second at the

World Shoot. He also won Area 4, 6 or 8 times.

Tightloop is right. We had a lot happening in the mid/late 80's. Come on, tell them

about the stolen trophy.

The stolen trophy.....ahhhhhhhhh, rememberances from the past...

It started in 82 with the inaugural shooting of the Texas Challenge..a 4 man team shoot....the little team I shot on the first year with Jester, Fisher, Gibson and myself won the trophy by beating Dison's team and

Chippie's team by a good margin...so the next yr we were the marked team to beat...

But we started practicing 90 days B4 the match at Jester's range.....had each stage set up and shot almost every day for a couple of hours...we had it nailed but knew the other two teams would be tough...

Got to Austin and shot the match...as usual, there were the ups and downs of a real tight match...but when it was all over, we sat down and waited for the announcement...they came out of the scorers shed and said we had won the thing again....

We were super hyped and happy...then about 1 minute later they said there had been a scoring error and that Chippie's team had won it and Dixon's team had finished 2nd and we were third...

After a few minutes of arguing to see the sheets to no avail, we got into the truck to head back to Houston...as we drove past the scorers shack where the trophy was on the front porch...I asked Fred to stop the truck and I just got out and walked over to the trophy and took it back to the truck...and we took it home... :rolleyes:

Kept it a week or so, till Art Eatman sent me a certified letter saying they were going to press theft charges on all of us if we did not return it ASAP...which we did... :(

Still, after all those yrs don't know what happened with the scoring issue...my guess is that they just did not want us to have the thing again so they changed the results to suit them....(there were lots of instances of getting pencil whipped back in those days...) and so we did not get to keep the trophy...but we enjoyed it for a week or so till we sent it back... B)

In 95 I met a guy in Austin at the DPS facility when we were getting certified to teach the CHL who said he belonged to Hill Country Pistol Club and that he had seen the trophy with our names on it but did not know who had it at that time...

:P

So, Kids....do as Uncle Tightloop says not as he does....it is better to let the trophy be given to some chicken crap cheaters and not be thought a thief than to take it in broad daylight and let them know you are one.. ;)B):rolleyes:

In 95 I met a guy in Austin at the DPS facility when we were getting certified to teach the CHL who said he belonged to Hill Country Pistol Club and that he had seen the trophy with our names on it but did not know who had it at that time...

I think Alan Tillman may currently be in possesion of it.

But I may be wrong.

-Chet

In a similar vein, when I have recovered from this story, I may tell the one about th Holdup at Hamilton Pool....also another story from the Old Days and the same time frame as the Stolen Trophy..only earlier by a year or so...I guess the Hill Country brings out the Outlaw in some of us...

:P

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I was lucky and missed a bunch of the gun wars. Quit shooting in about 1984 after moving to the hill country, last match was at the Hill Country range.

We were selling the Tripp's computers when Virgil was developing his wide body, modular gun. I recall thinking "why would somebody want one", now I own three.

Still have most of my gear from the late 70's/early 80's. Gordon Davis rig (the belt must have shrunk, it's a little too tight). I had my Earl Long built Colt Series 70 for more than 20 years. Still have the T&T electronic hearing protectors, T&T practice timer that you set the time with dip switches. Still have the match timer that you hook up to a car battery, it has a digital read out, a horn to start and a long cable to the mic out of a telephone handset that you put behind a steel plate to stop your time. Much more accurate than a stop watch, as you other old timers will remember.

Mike

If you ever get the chance to really sit down and talk to Dixon...he could (not that he would) tell you lots of ways he kind of Bent the rules a bit when he was starting out...like some of us did...Funny thing was, all of us locally knew he was bending those rules but could not get the proof that he did...Wasn't until after the Stolen Trophy issue that he confessed to me how he did it...

And I won't be the one to tell it..

And to rub some salt into your wound...Dixon never figured his competition to come from anywhere but Chippie's team...but we sneaked in there for the gold...LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Not is the claimed worth was 350 bucks and they threatened to send the police to your house....you wouldn't keep it...like I said..kept it a few days and returned it...still felt cheated... B);)

• 1 year later...
Not is the claimed worth was 350 bucks and they threatened to send the police to your house....you wouldn't keep it...like I said..kept it a few days and returned it...still felt cheated... B);)

Tightloop,

Old police response to accusations:

"I didn't do it."

"No body saw me."

"You can't prove anything!"

Nice grab.

JK

<_< Most all of history, is the truth acording to the one that tell it. Or at least their point of view ;)

You have a different version...I was there, were you? Looking at your profile, you might have been about 23 or so at the time..

Edited by tightloop

<_< Most all of history, is the truth according to the one that tell it. Or at least their point of view ;)

You have a different version...I was there, were you? Looking at your profile, you might have been about 23 or so at the time..

Stay calm .... Not directed at you at all... Just a side thought about =History in general ...as in the past 500 years Like our war of 1776 or the War between the states. Are Americans Rebels like the British say or are we Patriots? Or - Was the war in the 1860s a war of Northern Aggression or a move to save the Union?

Your deal with the Trophy ? ( was it Stolen? or did you just, "Claim your trophy early"?)

I hear my Mom tell a story about my Dad and she can't comprehend that I was a part of the story too.

If You could spend 10 minutes with my x wife and she will have you convinced to run over me with your truck.

You sent it C.O.D., right?

You sent it C.O.D., right?

Of course... ;)

<_< Most all of history, is the truth according to the one that tell it. Or at least their point of view ;)

Stay calm .... Not directed at you at all... Just a side thought about =History in general ...as in the past 500 years Like our war of 1776 or the War between the states. Are Americans Rebels like the British say or are we Patriots? Or - Was the war in the 1860s a war of Northern Aggression or a move to save the Union?

Your deal with the Trophy ? ( was it Stolen? or did you just, "Claim your trophy early"?)

I hear my Mom tell a story about my Dad and she can't comprehend that I was a part of the story too.

If You could spend 10 minutes with my x wife and she will have you convinced to run over me with your truck.

Was it really stolen or did I just claim it early...YES

...and while the truth of history is tainted by the teller of the incident, it is also tainted by whether the teller was successful in that incident or not...from the American side of the Revolutionary War, we were being repressed and rebelled, the Brits have a slightly different view of the events, I am sure.

As for the Trophy Incident, my teammates and myself tend to believe we liberated the trophy from those who did not shoot well enough to take it home as their just prize...not stolen, more liberated.... :P

:bow: TightLoop! ....! "The Liberator" ! :bow:

LOng ago when I was an active duty member of Uncle Sams Misguided Children we would , from time to time, "find" gear that was left unsecured.

This gear was usually left by members of our brother services such as "doggies" or "zoomies" although we DID also "secure" gear left around from other USMC units.

Especially c-rats and the like but we would "secure" just about anything.

I am not forgetting my navel bretheren......"Swabbies..... or squids if you prefer", being well aquainted with our obsessive-compulsive tendencies, did not leave much lying about unsecured.

In other words....they was smart.

Finding gear lying around, unguarded would provoke glee in Marines like the happiness of children on Christmas day.

We would then secure said gear thereby keeping it out of the hands of nefarious types as well as the ever present lurking communist horde.

One "gentleman" decided to "secure" some stuff left lying around on a rail car we were tasked with guarding.

I mean if "they" really thought the stuff was so damm important " they" should have used their own damm people to walk around in the rain/wind/cold to keep it secure....right?

I'm unsure of the final tally of equipment he "secured" but I know it included some nifty .45 pistols that we were all salivating over.

No harm (to the Corps) so no foul.

Stuff was returned and we were given other duties commensurate with our "talents".

Mess duty sucks.

Semper Fi Marines,

JK

in the fire department its called a "pilfer team", and you don't park your unit too close to the fire because thats where all the tools get taken from, and then you have to get them back.

i recall a tool we had that was very nice and most everyone wanted, it disappeared after a call, and we found out who had it, well at the next big call, all of a sudden that unit had one of their treasured tools disappear :devil: , one more valuable than the one they took, it was fairly easy to convince them to trade back. :devil:

the very best pilfer teams can pretty much make you feel like they are doing you a favor, by relieving you of your "unnecessary" equipment. why just today we were trying to figure out who had an extra toner cartridge for their printer, because supply wouldn't be able to deliver the new one for a week. It would be a fair trade, our used and broke in, and mostly empty one for someones new, unused, and untried one.

trapr