Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon seating die doesn't fit my bullet nose....

I am loading bullets that I cast using a Lee Trunicated Cone 452-230-TL mold. The insert in the Dillon 45ACP die that is used for seating Semi-Wadcutter nose profiles makes a serious dent in the nose of this bullet. I tried reversing the insert to the round nose profile and it makes a "smiley" shaped dent in the nose.

Is anyone else loading this bullet? If so what are you using for seating the bullet without damaging the nose?

Thanks

AR15-SBR

I think this happens t a lot of folks. You can buy Lee die set and use theirs, which is what I did and the problem went away.

Or I've heard of using some JB Weld in the insert and pressing a mold of your bullet profile in the bottom.

The smiley face on the end of the bullet won't hurt anything. The suggestions above are if you just can't live with it.

Using a Lee sizing die stage one, a Lee seating die stage three and a Dillon crimp die stage four. If your shooting one bullet for a

few bucks you can send the bullet to Lee and they will cut you an insert for that bullet. I had a local machinist cut me a flat insert

that pushes on the nose of the bullet. OAL is more consistent in fact very close. Lee's sizing die will size closer to the extractor

groove and a little tighter than other brands. Also turned the Dillon powder through die down a little in a drill press and sandpaper

so a sized piece of brass just slides on the powder through die to stop chigger bites, little cupped marks on the case mouth. Don't

for the Factory crimp die and if it's used backed it off so it just crimps.

Loaded on a Dillon 550

I am loading bullets that I cast using a Lee Trunicated Cone 452-230-TL mold. The insert in the Dillon 45ACP die that is used for seating Semi-Wadcutter nose profiles makes a serious dent in the nose of this bullet. I tried reversing the insert to the round nose profile and it makes a "smiley" shaped dent in the nose.

Is anyone else loading this bullet? If so what are you using for seating the bullet without damaging the nose?

Thanks

AR15-SBR

This probably doesn't apply to your issue, but I thought I would share.

I load a lot of 45 ACP SWC. As we all know, different mfg have different profiles. So you would have to adjust your seating die every time you tried a different bullet shape.

Uniquetek makes a specialized seating insert for Dillon dies that seats on the shoulder of the SWC rather than the point. So when you find that magic point where the SWC feeds and goes into battery every time, you don't have to adjust for different SWC profiles.

Can be found here http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1561

Jim

Thanks

AR15-SBR

This probably doesn't apply to your issue, but I thought I would share.

I load a lot of 45 ACP SWC. As we all know, different mfg have different profiles. So you would have to adjust your seating die every time you tried a different bullet shape.

Uniquetek makes a specialized seating insert for Dillon dies that seats on the shoulder of the SWC rather than the point. So when you find that magic point where the SWC feeds and goes into battery every time, you don't have to adjust for different SWC profiles.

Can be found here http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1561

Jim

I got this for my Lee 200 SWC. IT WORKS REALLY WELL. My problem was the Dillon seating stem didnt hold the projectile perfectly straight so that they bulged the case slightly if not sitting square on the case mouth. This resulted in at least 10% failing the plunk test. I was loading these on my SDB without any issues. Problem started when i went to the 650 with the Dillon dies. Since changing to the Uniquetek stem this problem is gone.

Guys, Thanks for the tips.

I started looking at the insert, dug out some old die grinder stones, reprofiled the tips of the stones and chucked them in the drill. I ground on the insert and to my suprise it wasn't a hard metal(but I guess it doesn't need to be). I got the insert profile close enough to the bullet nose profile that I am satisfied it will work fine.

AR15-SBR

I think this happens t a lot of folks. You can buy Lee die set and use theirs, which is what I did and the problem went away.

Or I've heard of using some JB Weld in the insert and pressing a mold of your bullet profile in the bottom.

The smiley face on the end of the bullet won't hurt anything. The suggestions above are if you just can't live with it.

The jbweld suggestion works well. I have used it for top punches for odd bullet shapes in lubesizers.

That said the little ring the seater leaves probably won't hurt anything.

I had the same issue with Xtreme 124 gr RN plated. The seating die would put a nice little round dimple on the tip of each bullet.

I inadvertently fixed this when I added the Mr. Bullet Feeder powder funnel. The MBF funnel creates a step in the flare that 'holds' the bullet and keeps it from tipping when seating the bullet.

It apparently also decreased the resistance to seating , as I have not had a single dimple in over 500 rounds of 9mm RN.

EDIT:

Wanted to add I was having a problem with bullets going into the seat die slightly crooked and actually seating slightly crooked. This was due to the difference in the seating die shape and the bullet shape.

The MBF fixed this by holding the bullet centered while seating.

Edited by Jimk60

• 4 years later...

Old thread, I'm hoping to resurrect.  I'm shooting 147gr FP's.  The Dillon insert set for SWC has a lot of wobble for my bullet shape.  The RN end seems to hold it tighter, but then after reading about bullets going in crooked (tighter in seat or not) I wondered about switching to the SWC (loose but flat) end of the insert.  Anyone find ths when choosing ends for their preferred bullet shape?

Thanks